Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

3 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Based on this, although it's very far out, do you think FF8 has the chance to overtake FF7?

No one knows. Pre-sale tracking is kind of new (maybe a year old), and movies have huge divergences on how they perform.

Kong had pretty good staying power on its opening, whereas WarCraft had a monstrous opening (like FF8) but utterly tanked its pace through the rest of pre-sales. It had a good opening, but abysmal legs and really didn't make a huge amount of money.

I'd check back in 3-4 days.. I imagine there'll be a lot more info. The best comps are going to be Kong, WarCraft, and probably Journey To the West, as well as Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

WarCraft had a monstrous opening (like FF8) but utterly tanked its pace through the rest of pre-sales. It had a good opening, but abysmal legs and really didn't make a huge amount of money.

Warcraft had much worse legs than comparable movies with huge openings, but I'd say its final gross was still pretty impressive. Almost 1.5B yuan and #10 film overall in Chinese Box Office.

12 hours ago, feasby007 said:

Based on this, although it's very far out, do you think FF8 has the chance to overtake FF7?

I'm still thinking OD above 350m for a 1.1-1.2b OW. WC and RE6 were gamer front loads doing 1.6x and 1.8x OW.

Average legs is 2x OW.  2.2-2.3 can happen. But it will need a 9+ rating, not too much competition and hold screens for the May day Holiday. FF7 dropped just -30% in the first weekend of may to get close to $400m.

FF7 total 2.426B/ $390m. OD Sunday was 346m.

XR was 6.21 and is now 6.89. FF8 needs 10% more to match Ff7 in $$.

FF8 should follow Kong and WC today and tomorrow with 50% increases to 3 the 4.5m. Then follow Kong with 22.5% increases for 7 days to keep on track for a high 300s OD. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

Pre-Orders looking good.. Am I reading this right?

Midnight: 0.59m

Fri: 1.97m

Sat: 1.01m

9 hours later

Midnight: 0.74m

Fri: 2.29m

Sat: 1.22m

• Like 2

2.74m it's going more than double today. Acting differently than both Kong and WC. Let it roll up through tomorrow and see what Mondays percentage bump is.

Kong bumps were 22.5% Monday thru Sunday.  Then 30, 40, 50, 75% Mon thru thursday. 

WC  averaged 15% thru 3 days out then bumped 30 and 50% it's last 2 days . 

GitS going to do above 50m on OD

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Olive said:

[13 days+ 5 hours]

Kong: skull island 
midnights - 143k
OD - 854k

The Fate of the Furious
midnights : 304k
OD:1.08M

[12 days+ 8 hours]

The Fate of the Furious

Midnight: 1.20m

Fri: 3.63m

Sat: 2.18m

• Like 3

F8 needs 115-120m presales to guarantee 350m friday. I dont see it having 4x multi like other movies.

At 5pm [ 12 days + 7 hours ] its at 3.73m for its OD. Interesting thing is it already has almost 36K shows allotted. I am thinking it could hit 150K by release date. It should hit 4m before EOD and 10-15m by the time holidays end. At gewara it has sold 6247 tickets. I think F7 sold 477k tickets by release date. SW7 sold even more. Can F8 sell 1m tickets by release date.

Edited by keysersoze123

14 hours ago, POTUS said:

I'm still thinking OD above 350m for a 1.1-1.2b OW. WC and RE6 were gamer front loads doing 1.6x and 1.8x OW.

Average legs is 2x OW.  2.2-2.3 can happen. But it will need a 9+ rating, not too much competition and hold screens for the May day Holiday. FF7 dropped just -30% in the first weekend of may to get close to $400m.

FF7 total 2.426B/ $390m. OD Sunday was 346m.

XR was 6.21 and is now 6.89. FF8 needs 10% more to match Ff7 in $$.

FF8 should follow Kong and WC today and tomorrow with 50% increases to 3 the 4.5m. Then follow Kong with 22.5% increases for 7 days to keep on track for a high 300s OD. 

you were way off. But this will be presales driven. I can even see 200m presales.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

you were way off. But this will be presales driven. I can even see 200m presales.

To be fair, this is unprecedented in terms of what can or will happen. No one knows how this is going to add up before launch. 

8 minutes ago, Mrstickball said:

To be fair, this is unprecedented in terms of what can or will happen. No one knows how this is going to add up before launch. 

True. This is unprecedented. F7 was surprising. This is sequel to uber blockbuster. I guess Only TF5 will come close. Most interesting is it already has 42K shows !!!

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Gamers have the lowest multi. WC blew up faster and had the lowest PS multi in the past year at 2.6. RE6 was 2.9 as PS has changed and the multi has increased across the board. FF8s multi will not be smaller  than RE6. 

That would be 580m OD:o

FF8 is doing something a bit different than both WC and Kong in it's initial rollout. It will slow to 15-22% per day soon as WC and Kong did.

Monday and Tuesday will show us a run rate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

True. This is unprecedented. F7 was surprising. This is sequel to uber blockbuster. I guess Only TF5 will come close. Most interesting is it already has 42K shows !!!

They gave Kong 45% 114k

I imagine this will be at least 55% 150k

FF7 was 62.5% 86.7k