kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 23.48 M THE BOSS | 23.44 M BVS: DOJ | 14.35 M ZOOTOPIA | 5.10 M HARDCORE HENRY

Ouch. Not very good for Hardcore Henry, worse than expected even. At least for me, it was. Oh well, hardly was this ever going to click w/audiences. It'll probably turn out profitable, if just out of an international release, but The Gift or The Boy this certainly won't be for STX.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Both A24 and STX have a really good catalogue of movies.

STX has really only had one critical success so far (The Gift). I guess we'll see how Free State of Jones turns out, moving it near the heart of summer would indicate confidence (although they probably did it to receive the 4th of July boost).

Just now, La Binoche said:

How is 2k/screen on 493 screens "very respectable," especially with a director coming off of Mud? 

By comparison, Sicario did 1.7M on 59 screens in it's second weekend. Warner really fucked up the release of this.

The problem with BVS has been the Fridays.

BVS did +122% on Friday and +76% on Saturday.

F7 did +185% on Friday and +55% on Saturday.

Which gives a better 2 day gross ?

Let's start with 10m Thursday as an experiment.

22.2 (+122%) + 39.0 (+76%) = 61.2

28.5 (+185%) + 44.2 (+55%) = 72.7

Once Friday bump is shitty, a good Sat bump though desirable can undo only so much of the damage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Please, don't start it, c'mon :lol: 

For real, don't make me hungry. I'm on a diet lol.

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

How is 2k/screen on 493 screens "very respectable," especially with the director coming off of Mud? 

Midnight Special wasn't really given much promotion and the fact it's been released just shy of a wide (600 theaters) release seems like the expansion was a contractual obligation.