WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

11 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Civil War's performance is both good and bad.

It's good because its performing fine, but it's bad because Iron Man 3 made 1.2 billion without any other Avengers.

If you compare Civil War's performance to Iron Man 3 performance, its disappointing. That's really dangerous because Marvel can't keep using Downey Jr all the time to boost other movies. I mean, I don't want a male Jennifer Lawrence, which I hope it never happens. Hopefully we won't see a Downey Jr fatigue...

In a nutshell, Civil War numbers are cool, but far away from being impressive. Predictions ( from both fanboys and sources ) were insanely high, reviews were kind. So, what happened? I'm not asking in a bad way, I'm curious. 

I predicted a $170m OW and less than $400m DOM. Why? Avengers Fatigue. This was basically another "Avengers" movie and just a year after we had an artistically disappointing one. 

In contrast IM3 came out a year after the far more beloved first Avengers film, and yet was clearly a different film, an Iron Man film. So it got the awesome shine from the Avengers, but not any kind of fatigue factor from being too similar. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Not surprised. It's not a good film. Amazing that 90% of the critics (RT) liked it. IMHO, it sucked, quite frankly. 

Fair to not like it. But, honestly, given it's only OW, audience reaction would have little impact. The reason not to be surprised is because it's  a niche action noir set in the 70s with an R rating.

• Like 2

Man, that is a bad number for Neighbors 2. -58% from the first movie. 4

As for Civil War, I think in this case, the extremely high quality of the pirated copy probably has something to do with its overseas drops but minimal effect on domestic. It's pretty much a spotless blur-ray level copy. 

Just now, filmlover said:

I'm banking on a sub-$90M OW for X-Men at this point tbh.

OS? Possible. That would mean panic at FOX, tho. Expecting a last movie announcement if that happens combined with a 65-70M OW DOM next weekend. And a reboot after 7 years. 

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

X-Men opened everywhere except China, Japan and South Korea. It is normal. 

It's normal for it to be hit hard lol since they are of the same genre. The theater here where I watch movies most of the time only has two screens for CA: CW while X-M: A has seven.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Not even sure they'll get to a 13th film at all tbh.

hmmm...

MOS

BvS

SS

WW

JL p1

Flash

Batman solo

Aquaman

Cyborg

JL p2

Superman solo?

Batman solo 2?

Green Lantern?

Shazam?

SS 2?

Martian Manhunter?

Plastic Man?

they'll get there.  of course by the time they get there, SH fatigue might really be a thing, and these movies might not be profitable, especially considering that DC characters are very overpowered and need very expensive special effects and/or CGI, which is why Batman/SS might have better returns, popularity notwithstanding.  WW might use more practical effects, since she's lost her flying ability and superspeed for whatever reason. 

Just now, CJohn said:

OS? Possible. That would mean panic at FOX, tho. Expecting a last movie announcement if that happens combined with a 65-70M OW DOM next weekend. And a reboot after 7 years. 

I was talking domestic for the 4-day.

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

As for Civil War, I think in this case, the extremely high quality of the pirated copy probably has something to do with its overseas drops but minimal effect on domestic. It's pretty much a spotless blur-ray level copy. 

It's not piracy. It's X-MEN: APOCALYPSE.

• Like 2

Just now, lobo007 said:

hmmm...

MOS

BvS

SS

WW

JL p1

Flash

Batman solo

Aquaman

Cyborg

JL p2

Superman solo?

Batman solo 2?

Green Lantern?

Shazam?

SS 2?

Martian Manhunter?

Plastic Man?

they'll get there.  of course by the time they get there, SH fatigue might really be a thing, and these movies might not be profitable, especially considering that DC characters are very overpowered and need very expensive special effects and/or CGI, which is why Batman/SS might have better returns, popularity notwithstanding.  WW might use more practical effects, since she's lost her flying ability and superspeed for whatever reason. 

LOL that's my point.. 

6 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

usually movies' performances are more influence by the last entry in the series than the actual quality of the movie itself. 

the last entry generally affects the OW of the sequel, not the legs of the movie itself, that's up to the movies' quality.

Civil War opening was good, it's the legs that have been underwhelming.

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

Apocalypse is entirely responsible for the big OS drop. That and the big heat waves felt all over Europe. It may have no effect in America but the first few weekends of heat in Europe kill theaters. 

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

It's normal for it to be hit hard lol since they are of the same genre. The theater here where I watch movies most of the time only has two screens for CA: CW while X-M: A has seven.

Same here, OS it was hit hard by Apocalypse. A theater where I usually go gave 3 screens to Apocalypse and only 1 to Civil War this weekend. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was talking domestic for the 4-day.

Lol yeah, I agree, it is totally going under 90M for the 4 day. 

• Like 1