Blankments

Florence Foster Jenkins | August 12, 2016 | Stephen Frears

I got the trailer for this at Nice Guys and I was so pissed about it. I've always wanted a legitimately great movie about Jenkins; I find her one of history's most fascinating oddities. Yet, what are we getting? A shitty Streep dramedy that's going to make her story inspirational when what makes her so fascinating is the lack of inspiration from her story. 

Also Kathy Bates should've played Florence in that good movie. Not Meryl Streep doing her go-to-phoned-in performance as always like this looks. Fuck this movie.

LMAO @ «Meryl Streep phones in a performance»!

By the way, 43 fresh reviews out of 47 at RT. 91 % Fresh RT score so far and mostly raves for her performance. You chose the wrong film to say that Streep phones it in...

Edited by Cochofles

I saw it at the London premiere - I thought the man next to me was going to pass out from laughing so much! It is a very funny film with the right mix of warmth and personal tragedy too. Maryland does not phone it in. She's excellent but we expect excellence from her so much that this performance doesn't stand out from her other great ones. Any other actress would be gunning for awards on ( ironically).

The real revelation is Hugh Grant. My friend who saw it thought he actually outshone Meryl! 

• Like 1

So you've been longing for a movie about her, and then two get released at once and you still complain? There's no pleasing some people. Why don't you watch the movie before deciding you hate it?

Edited by Treetrunk Special

4 hours ago, Treetrunk Special said:

So you've been longing for a movie about her, and then two get released at once and you still complain? There's no pleasing some people. Why don't you watch the movie before deciding you hate it?

There's another movie about her?

And no, I've literally hated everything I've seen by this director and can't stand comedic roles for Streep. This shouldn't be a comedy. Trailer looks like shit too. Pretty obvious why I'd be hating on this movie before I see it.

5 minutes ago, Blank Panther said:

There's another movie about her?

And no, I've literally hated everything I've seen by this director and can't stand comedic roles for Streep. This shouldn't be a comedy. Trailer looks like shit too. Pretty obvious why I'd be hating on this movie before I see it.

Yeah, Marguerite came out like 3 weeks ago.

• Like 1