CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I doubt anyone's expecting anything amazing from this given that the quality of the live-action Disney remakes has ranged from "enjoyable but superfluous" at best to "mediocre and forgettable" at worst, so even if it would be nice if this were critically-acclaimed and made all the money (if only to shut up a loud and obnoxious minority), it really only needs to find itself on the positive side of reception to bring out audiences in droves.

Nah. Family movies do extremly well with bad reviews because all they have to provide is wholesome entertainment, not an arthouse thinkpiece. They are critics-proof.  For example, this looks like shit to me (Rob Marshall, live action remake, nuff said) but my youngest sister wants to see it so of course that I'm taking her. My teenage sisters are seeing it with their friends, all big fans of Chloe x Halle, and they wouldn't be caught dead with a kid. So you already have variety of demos: a child, an adult companion, a group of teenage girls. Boom. Boxoffice through the roof. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I remember reports of people on test screenings saying it´s the best live action from Disney, which isn´t that hard but i think it can be well received enough

I mean Aladdin had longer legs than Toy Story 4 that summer and Minions 2 just recently. For critics the bar isn't that high but if The Little Mermaid gets that kind of reception or something like Jungle Book or the first Maleficent from the audience it'll be more than just well received enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This song better be in it... It's my favorite part...

Just got to that part on my rewatch (still amazing stuff, holy snot). It's so weird there's a whole angry chef subplot that's just there for silly slapstick, but I approve 100%.

29 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

neutral-face-floating.gif

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Nah. Family movies do extremly well with bad reviews because all they have to provide is wholesome entertainment, not an arthouse thinkpiece. They are critics-proof.  For example, this looks like shit to me (Rob Marshall, live action remake, nuff said) but my youngest sister wants to see it so of course that I'm taking her. My teenage sisters are seeing it with their friends, all big fans of Chloe x Halle, and they wouldn't be caught dead with a kid. So you already have variety of demos: a child, an adult companion, a group of teenage girls. Boom. Boxoffice through the roof. 

Don't forget the nostalgia fiends. 

dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF