CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

14 hours ago, DAJK said:

For everything I’d heard about this movie, from the idiot trolls to the proclamations that it would “rule the summer” (for lack of a better example), this movie just kind of came and went, huh? Racked up a decent amount of money, a splashy (haha) debut on D+ and then poof.

I guess that’s the standard for most of these live-action remakes though. 

It’s Disney+ debut number was just announced this week, has it gone poof? 

Or will it hang around the neilsen streaming numbers for months? It’s a bit early to say it’s gone “poof” when it was first released 4 months ago. 

On 9/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, Claire of Themyscira said:

Y'all are so quick to put this down, omg...

I loved it though. Halle slayed. Eric was hot. Melissa was good.

Fuck the racism!

I have not seen the movie yet,,, will catch it on Disney plus...but I resent he impliacation if you don't like the movie it is because you are a racist.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have not seen the movie yet,,, will catch it on Disney plus...but I resent he impliacation if you don't like the movie it is because you are a racist.

Don't put words in my mouth, sweetie. If I wanted to say that, I woulda said it.

I said, "Fuck the racism!" Because the movie had a LOT of racist backlash surrounding it, not once did I say, if people didn't like it, they're racist.

Like, don't piss me off.

• Like 7
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Disney and media did push an idea a lot of their movies flopped due to racism when it was mostly poor quality products. 

I mean, we can debate how specifically to describe it but race clearly played a role in audience interest in TLM and Disney clearly always knew that was the case. The film's announcement of Hallee Bailey was very quickly followed by a piece in the trades hyping up a poll someone commissioned from Morning Consult directly addressing the actresses' race & some more generic versions of the question. 

You can also just jump onto the Sony hack and look at what Sony's marketing both put together and heard from external distributors concerning 2014's Annie. Sony's market research flagged the race change as a problem for the film among groups with an interest in the IP (which isn't a WW brand). It wasn't presented as the number 1 issue but it was presented as a real one. On foreign distributor side, one distributor actually just openly says there's racial prejudice and a few others endorse a vaguely similar sentiment and a few others mention political correctness concerns. 

Especially after reading the Annie stuff, I just think it's very likely the polling was commissioned by Disney as part of the initial rollout (which I recall basically going well unlike the unforced errors committed in rolling out Snow White). 

Disney and media did push an idea a lot of their movies flopped due to racism when it was mostly poor quality products. 

This is 100% a thing but we also just literally have smoking gun evidence of overt racism hurting a very similar film. 

The film's US gross also saw a significant disparate impact in interest in the film along racial lines (it's just that interest was higher in general so over-indexing among African-American audiences brought the film's DOM gross closer to par with other Disney Renaissance reboots)

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

12 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Disney almost exclusively released garbage for the past 10+ years and plenty of it smashed. 

7 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

To be fair, previous Disney remakes had shown poor quality products could be pretty successful. So, it isn't so weird they think racism could be the cause to The Little Mermaid not making over 600M box office.

all this racism talk aside Halle was actually good casting choice but the bland actor who can't sing for prince (I get now why they wanted Harry Styles as he has character in his singing voice) - I get why it was difficult to find good singing lead for Aladdin, but for prince Eric? Either find a real Disney prince or someone who can sing, poor princes always get the short end of the stick in animation & live action lol. They just can't win it seems. 

Edited by InVy