La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FYI Universal has teamed up with one of the theater chains for a special summer giveaway and part of it is promotion for their summer movies (Neighbors 2, Warcraft, Purge, Secret Life of Pets, Jason Bourne) but Popstar wasn't one of them. Seems to me like they knew it wasn't going to make much a long time ago.

I'm curious about the strategy behind a wide summer release for a movie they didn't seem interested in promoting. I'm sure it had to have tested well. It would've played really well as a Netflix premiere (which I'm sure much of the demo for this film is waiting for it to come to). 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Taken 2 always looked like a breakout, Taken 3 was much less of a sure thing. I am shocked how big Hangover 2 ended up being, it could easily have been another Ted 2 or Neighbors 2. Hell, I think Hangover 2 is the reason we have a Ted 2 or a Neighbors 2 or even Horrible Bosses 2.

Taken was a one-off. A sequel never seemed necessary. But they did one and exploded. Taken 2 had a mixed reception by the crowds. Yet, Taken 3 opened with 40M.

And yes, you are correct, Hangover 2 is the reason we have been getting more and more sequels from comedy breakout hits. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gopher said:

I'm curious about the strategy behind a wide summer release for a movie they didn't seem interested in promoting. I'm sure it had to have tested well. It would've played really well as a Netflix premiere (which I'm sure much of the demo for this film is waiting for it to come to). 

Movies are dumped in summer all the time. They just usually choose late August to do so.

Just now, CJohn said:

Taken was a one-off. A sequel never seemed necessary. But they did one and exploded. Taken 2 had a mixed reception by the crowds. Yet, Taken 3 opened with 40M.

And yes, you are correct, Hangover 2 is the reason we have been getting more and more sequels from comedy breakout hits. 

Taken had word of mouth bordering on religious, Taken 2 looked like a breakout from the moment the first trailer came out. Taken 3 had a great trailer as well, ending with the "Good Luck." line and a plot which looked different enough. John Wick 2 can pull off a Taken 2 (I think it has a good shot at outgrossing the first movies take on OW alone).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

:kitschjob: 

What will you see next then? Pets? 

Still disappointed you failed me with Apocalypse :sadben: 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The midtier sequels (ala Neighbors 2, TMNT2) might become an endangered species. Audience attention spans are only shrinking more and more.

But Taken 2 is a midtier sequel as well. And it exploded. Same with Pitch Perfect. What you are talking about simply doesn't work like that. Alice 2 was a sequel to a MONSTER hit. Yet it also bombed. There is no magic formula.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Taken had word of mouth bordering on religious, Taken 2 looked like a breakout from the moment the first trailer came out. Taken 3 had a great trailer as well, ending with the "Good Luck." line and a plot which looked different enough. John Wick 2 can pull off a Taken 2 (I think it has a good shot at outgrossing the first movies take on OW alone).

John Wick will pull a Kick-Ass, not a Taken. 

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Dinklage too (just look at his filmography before the show premiered). Although he's gotten more prominent roles since then thanks to the acclaim.

The culmination of all his GoT success!!!!  BEHOLD! I still can't believe he wasn't nominated for that role.  Robbed I tell ya!

peterdinklagemulletlasergun-peter-dinkla

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

John Wick will pull a Kick-Ass, not a Taken. 

Nah.. the sequel which will pull a Kick-Ass that weekend will be the 50 Shades sequel. I think the sequel has a good chance of finishing below the first movie's OW.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Nah.. the sequel which will pull a Kick-Ass that weekend will be the 50 Shades sequel. I think the sequel has a good chance of finishing below the first movie's OW.

That will do fine enough for Universal to greenlight the third one. 

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What will you see next then? Pets? 

Still disappointed you failed me with Apocalypse :sadben: 

But Taken 2 is a midtier sequel as well. And it exploded. Same with Pitch Perfect. What you are talking about simply doesn't work like that. Alice 2 was a sequel to a MONSTER hit. Yet it also bombed. There is no magic formula.

Only movies that clearly have strong fan bases (ala Pitch Perfect) will not become immune to sequels. Nothing ever indicated that Neighbors or Horrible Bosses or Magic Mike (to name a few) found additional followings after they left theaters.

Kinda nutty to think the only movies this century to take #1 of the year domestically to either not get sequels or be a sequel are The Grinch (how tempting that must have been) and American Sniper.