WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Domestic numbers are certainly important for the co-producer and distributor, especially when they're also covering P&A. They get the best percentage of revenue gross by far. 

But what we all miss (myself included), is that once all expenses are covered, a movie is basically an endless profit stream (no matter how slight). That's why studios are so invested in making all these tentpoles. 

Owning the IPs have become more important rather just licensing it because you keep all of the profits. The billions of dollars that Disney spent acquiring Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel has more than paid off and Warner Bros will continue to make DC films despite BvS underperforming because it's going to a revenue generator and if future DC films take off then that's going to drive not only box office but ancillary revenue as well. 

Comedies and dramas do and can make money but they'll never be billion dollar hits hence why studios make less of them and it's up to indies to make up that shortfall.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Domestic numbers are certainly important for the co-producer and distributor, especially when they're also covering P&A. They get the best percentage of revenue gross by far. 

But what we all miss (myself included), is that once all expenses are covered, a movie is basically an endless profit stream (no matter how slight). That's why studios are so invested in making all these tentpoles. 

Yeah I know the P&A cost are mostly covered by the domestic revenues., but BLIZZARD  has almost infinite money to keep investing in their cinematic franchise. I´m not so worried, this could have been worse, it could have bombed in China as well.

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

So does the movie end where the first game ends?

Not really.

Spoiler

The story of the first game ends with the Horde mostly coming through the portal, Stormwind sacked, and Lothar/Khadgar flee with the survivors to Lordaeron. Also in the game series, Garona doesn't kill Llane as part of a quick plan on their part to ensure Garona can become a powerful figure to push for peace. It's an assassination but I forget if she is mind-controlled or straight-up murderizes him.

I think they changed things to make events less grimdark.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Moderation:

All this conjecture is getting dangerously close to spoiler territory. Please take the discussion to the RTM thread. 

Meh, they can spoil it all they want. I'm sure everyone that wants to see it already has or will soon.

Discussing the NYSM2 ending with friends and I have decided that it goes from "This twist makes no sense" to "Did they start with the twist and then build everything else up to it?".

Seriously, the ending holds up to scrutiny even less than the first movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Discussing the NYSM2 ending with friends and I have decided that it goes from "This twist makes no sense" to "Did they start with the twist and then build everything else up to it?".

So magic is real or not? that is the question.

About sequels, Universal green-lit Pacific Rim 2, and PR1 had these numbers: 

OW: 37 mil DOM

DOM: 102 mil DOM

China: 112 mil DOM

The possibility of an eventual franchise is just too tempting. I wonder if anybody in Hollywood has inquired about a League of Legends movie. China, Korea, and the rest of the world seem to be into that game the last several years.

Edited by UrosepsisFace

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

MY GOD STOP WITH THE HYPE!!!!!

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Not really.

Hide contents

The story of the first game ends with the Horde mostly coming through the portal, Stormwind sacked, and Lothar/Khadgar flee with the survivors to Lordaeron. Also in the game series, Garona doesn't kill Llane as part of a quick plan on their part to ensure Garona can become a powerful figure to push for peace. It's an assassination but I forget if she is mind-controlled or straight-up murderizes him.

I think they changed things to make events less grimdark.

A friend had already told me about that change. Also, about the other event you mention, they couldn't end a movie like that. That will probably be the intro of Warcraft 2. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

About sequels, Universal green-lit Pacific Rim 2. 

OW: 37 mil DOM

DOM: 102 mil DOM

China: 112 mil DOM

The possibility of an eventual franchise is just too tempting. I wonder if anybody in Hollywood has inquired about a League of Legends movie. China, Korea, and the rest of the world seem to be into that game the last several years.

PR2 is doing much more than 112M in China and a lot less domestically.

Didn't Legendary have to pay off Warner Bros in order to get Pacific Rim 2 moved to Universal? I wouldn't be surprised if Universal are paying very little of the budget or just P&A and distribution, they'll probably release in August 2018 or January 2018.  

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Owning the IPs have become more important rather just licensing it because you keep all of the profits. The billions of dollars that Disney spent acquiring Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel has more than paid off and Warner Bros will continue to make DC films despite BvS underperforming because it's going to a revenue generator and if future DC films take off then that's going to drive not only box office but ancillary revenue as well. 

Comedies and dramas do and can make money but they'll never be billion dollar hits hence why studios make less of them and it's up to indies to make up that shortfall.

Sure, although that's a slightly different diacussion (studios going essentially all in on expensive pre-established franchise tentpoles over modestly budgeted dramas and comedies). The thing about comedies is that they're cheap, so it's hard to lose a ton of money, and when they hit big, they're really profitable, and they tend to have a long life on video and TV. 

Personally, I'd like to see a more balanced approach, and I think the studios are basically eating themselves without an eye on the future -- when you're continually rebooting and sequelizing everything, at some point the well's gonna run dry. And if you haven't invested in generating and creating some new IP, there's gonna be some dark days. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, although that's a slightly different diacussion (studios going essentially all in on expensive pre-established franchise tentpoles over modestly budgeted dramas and comedies). The thing about comedies is that they're cheap, so it's hard to lose a ton of money, and when they hit big, they're really profitable, and they tend to have a long life on video and TV. 

Personally, I'd like to see a more balanced approach, and I think the studios are basically eating themselves without an eye on the future -- when you're continually rebooting and sequelizing everything, at some point the well's gonna run dry. And if you haven't invested in generating and creating some new IP, there's gonna be some dark days. 

Truth tea being spilled here.

e6df24ab94fb8a282eea97f4d5986890.jpg

• Like 2