Eric Duncan

CoolEric's Cool 25: My Most Meaningful Films

Rocky

Directed by John G. Alvidsen

"That bell rings, and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum in the neighborhood"

rocky-poster.jpg

Box Office: $117.2M Domestic, $225M Worldwide

IMDB Summary: Rocky Balboa, a small-time boxer, gets a supremely rare chance to fight the heavy-weight champion, Apollo Creed, in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.

Why It's so Meaningful to Me: In my opinion, my favorite story of all time is the rags to riches story. However, very rarely is a film a rags to riches story both in front of and behind the camera. The story of Rocky Balboa was so important to Sylvester Stallone that he himself refused to have any other actor portray his character except himself, despite the fact that he was a complete nobody in Hollywood. Hell, he only chose an acting career because he was homeless. He was forced with a limited budget and was kinda considered an afterthought in the minds of United Artists. But much like any great rags to riches story, Rocky has become one of the greatest films ever made.

What makes this movie so universal in its appeal is its tone of grit and triumph. It definitely has a dark edge to it, with its slums, crime, and strong violence, but what really makes it work is that feeling of joy that Rocky feels in the climax. He's finally facing off against the champ, the greatest boxer there is. He's no longer just a bum on the street. He's a legend.

In all honesty, what makes Rocky so wonderful to me is how he is the personification of the American Dream. He utilizes his talents, his perseverance, and his determination to get to where he is. He may not be the strongest, or the most popular, but his hard work and hope is what made him become the champ, even if he lost.

Such hard work is what I both envy and strive for. Anytime I see Rocky, I just want to be better at what I'm currently doing. I want to write better, be smarter, be heathier, and just be a greater person. It's a wonderful picker-upper that tells you to always work hard and have a good sense of optimism and hope, and good things will happen to you, and that's something I'll always appreciate.

• Like 6

Creed

Directed by Ryan Coogler

"Time takes everybody out; time's undefeated"

220px-Creed_poster.jpg

Box Office: $110M Domestic, $173.6M WW

IMDB Summary: The former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa serves as a trainer and mentor to Adonis Johnson, the son of his late friend and former rival Apollo Creed.

Why It's so Meaningful to Me: It's a little hard to write about my feelings for this movie. Not because its personal, but because much of what can be said about it I have already said about Rocky. The sense of perseverance, optimism, and a fight to be considered great is in this movie, and is done just as strong as its predecessor. So why exactly is it higher on my list?

Well, a good part of that comes from its modern-day setting and filmmaking. Now I'm not one of those cynical movie fans that turn their nose up to older movies. If anything, I feel Rocky is superior to Creed in many elements. But being someone who's grown up with the more modern style of filmmaking that Ryan Coogler utilizes, it appealed to me more in my initial viewing. In fact, the themes of young vs. old is something that really does stand out in this movie, mainly due to my own interest in the theme itself. The generation gap really works in establishing the different worlds of Donnie and Creed, and it was interesting to see how this old dog and this pup are able to work together. And when the actual fights emerge, it has just as much grit and intensity, but thanks to updated technology, these fights seem more real and far more brutal. Again, no disrespect to the original, but that first viewing, seeing the blood on the ground and Rocky shouting out strategies and telling Donnie to just keep going? That really impacted me, and really made me appreciate the story and coolness of Rocky even more.

I don't have much else to say, but that Creed excelled in taking the Rocky story and putting it in modern day, with a theme of generation gap to boot.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 7

Mad Max: Fury Road

Directed by George Miller

"Oh what a day; WHAT A LOVELY DAY!"

MV5BMTUyMTE0ODcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE4

Box Office

IMDB Summary
Why it's Meaningful to Me: It's time to set the scene: You're 17 years old and a couple weeks ago, you finally got your driver's license. You're practically an adult, and so it's time to pick your first movie to drive yourself to. Beforehand, you were always with some family member who more often than not played a part in the decision process. But now, you're an independent chooser, all on your own, and what better way to kick it off than with a high-octane adventure, with car chases, creepy pale dudes, and two badass-looking characters saving the day? Hell yeah!

Of course, what I got out of it was some of the most fun I've ever had in a movie. Furiosa's determination and Nux's questioning instantly made them fascinating and relatable for me, and Max as the outsider helped me be sucked into this crazy world even more. Its looks at survival, home, and even religion all were deeply unique and wonderful, as they are subtly hidden in an action movie that could have easily been "all flash, no substance".

Although, maybe if it fell into that category, it wouldn't matter, as this is the movie that really made me respect filmmakers. George Miller took his cast and crew into the desert with little water, scorching heat, and a lot of dangerous cars and explosions and managed to create some of the finest action setpieces ever conceived on film. Every single shot was done practically, and every single frame works wonders as its own unique painting. And it is all thanks to Miller's incredible vision. Everything from the background to the character introductions are just perfectly sequenced and timed, and every explosion and scene of carnage is done so beautifully I'm impressed on how Miller was even able to do a good majority of these scenes.

George Miller's one of the greatest directors of all time, and Mad Max: Fury Road was my first witness to his work, my true respect for the craft and presentation of filmmaking, and my first solo adventure.

• Like 2

Aladdin

Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker

"Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck!"

MV5BNTI4ODQ1MzAzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzU4

Box Office: $217.4M Domestic, $504.1 WW

IMDB Summary: When a street urchin vies for the love of a beautiful princess, he uses a genie's magic power to make himself off as a prince in order to marry her.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: Everybody has their own funny bone. What one person finds hilarious, another finds obnoxious or dumb, and vice versa. Often a person's comedy tics can be traced by a certain comedian or a TV show or a movie. For me, one of the most important things that have defined my comedy interests would definitely have to be Aladdin.

I grew up not only as a huge Disney fan, but also a Robin Williams fan, so Aladdin was easily one of my favorite movies growing up. The Genie's wisecracking antics and his celebrity impressions that I didn't recognize had me in stitches as a kid, which meant that I would watch it again and again and again. And as the years have gone by, I've noticed a lot of what makes me laugh comes from this movie. A zippy pace with a hundred jokes a minute? Genie in a nutshell. Funny facial expressions and creative visual humor? Throughout the film. Self-referential humor? "Psst. Your line is 'I'm going to free the genie'." Lewis Black-style comedians? Gilbert Gottfried as Iago. From pretty much one movie, my entire understanding of what's funny was defined by this animated musical comedy.

Of course, there are plenty of other things that made me come back to it, which also helped define my film interests: Romance, adventure, magic, musical numbers, far-away lands, etc. However, I think what really makes Aladdin so strong to me and possibly others is its humor, and I still consider it one of the funniest movies ever made.

• Like 7

The Lord of the Rings

Directed by Peter Jackson

"Fly, you fools!"

lord-of-the-rings-trilogy.jpg

Box Office: $1.035B Domestic, $2.917B WW

Why it's Meaningful to Me: So I'm kinda cheating on this one. I was originally going to put Return of the King on here, because it's my personal favorite, but I feel that the trilogy alone is so strong and powerful for me that only having one would just be unfair.

Now my introduction to Peter Jackson's interpretation of Middle-Earth was actually with the first Hobbit movie. My dad was a huge Lord of the Rings fan, but I never really got around to them. But when my dad was excited to go see it, I decided to tag along, since he was paying for it, I loved fantasy, and we were going to be heading to Red Robin later. When I saw it, I loved it, and later on, my dad and I would rewatch the original 2001-2003 trilogy on cable numerous times, and every time, I'm enchanted and enthralled by the story, characters, and universe.

Outside of it being something my dad and I easily bond over, these films are a huge part of my love for unique worlds and mythologies. I was already a huge fan of the universes found in Avatar: The Last Airbender, and another fantasy series that will be brought up later, but I feel that very few universes are as layered, as developed, or as unique as Tolkien's, and Jackson is able to successfully capture this unique universe on the screen. It still amazes me how the writers were able to take a trilogy known for its excessive length and massive backstory, and managed to create a simplified, but just as enthralling story, with its characters still wonderfully layered and unique. In all honesty, this is the gold definition on how to make an adaptation right.

In fact, not only is this trilogy a perfect adaptation, what made me put these movies together is that Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings, in my opinion, is the greatest trilogy of all time. No, I'm not kidding. While other trilogies, even the ones I love, have their movies just be consistently good or one being slightly lesser than the other ones, Jackson was smart enough to make every movie bigger and better than its predecessor. Fellowship established the story and the dangers that will come to its characters. The Two Towers picks up on the first movie, expands on characters like Gollum, intercuts three wonderful stories, and ends on a foreboding note with Gollum seemingly derailing the entire adventure. And the end of it all comes with Return of the King, with some of the best action sequences ever conceived on film, unbelievable visuals, unforgettable character moments, and a perfect end to Frodo and Samwise's wonderful adventure.

As both the greatest trilogy ever made, and a soft spot between me and my father, The Lord of the Rings deserved to be here as a package on this list.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 5

Psycho

Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

"I hope they are watching...they'll see. They'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, 'Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly...'"

Psycho_(1960).jpg

Box Office: $32M Domestic

IMDB Summary: A Phoenix secretary steals $40,000 from her employer's client, goes on the run and checks into a remote motel run by a young man under the domination of his mother.

Why it's So Meaningful to Me: I've already admitted my love for Trey Parker & Matt Stone, but do you want to know who also fought against censorship decades ago? Alfred Hitchcock! Hitchcock's work is praised for his voyeurism, strong camerawork, and meticulous planning, and for good reason. Better yet, many of Hitchcock's elements are at their strongest in Psycho. The production design is wonderful, the acting, with Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in particular, is astounding, its ending is absolutely flawless, and the usage of visual elements to explain the story and the quiet buildup of each scene is astonishing and a near-textbook definition on how to do visual filmmaking and suspense.

However, what really seals the deal for why I love this movie so much was Hitchcock's massive battle between censorship during production. For those who don't know, when Hollywood movies were in full effect and making big money, there was no MPAA. Instead, there was the Motion Picture Production Code, though many prefer to call it the Hays Code. It was a list of guidelines that told filmmakers and film studios to not have certain elements that would be risque, adult, or provocative, which included bad language, nudity, or offending religion or race. As you can imagine, it was very limiting for filmmakers with bold and unique ideas.

When Hitchcock discovered the 1959 novel Psycho, he had yearned to make the movie adaptation of the story, but with two catches: he had an abnormally small budget and had to use the production crew of his television show, and he had to face the censorship board, who weren't very fond of dark or racy material. But Hitchcock insisted on poking holes at their flawed logic. He would show specific scenes again and again, and get different results each time; he was asked to reshoot the opening scene so that he can have the shower scene, but later on just kept the original take; he even had the nerve and audacity to take something never shown before, due to its controversial status: a flushing toilet! Oh the audacity of such a scene! (But seriously though, why was a flushing toilet never seen on a movie or show until Psycho came out? Am I missing something?) He even told theaters to not let anyone in after the movie starts. For whatever reason, that idea was unheard of, but Hitchcock's demands came, and greatly flourished.

Alfred Hitchcock pretty much said "Fuck you" to standards and the norm and decided to keep his vision in tact, with no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Hell, I can't even imagine what it must have been like for audiences in 1960. Having to actually be in their seats on time, witnessing an opening scene of two people as lovers sharing a bed, seeing one of the greatest villains of all time become a legend before their very eyes, and watching a shower scene packed to the brim with symbolism, fear, suspense, and an ultimate payoff, with the scariest violin sounds ever put on film. None of these wonderful moments could have happened if Hitchcock stayed stubborn on his decisions and keeping his creativity and integrity in tact. He knew that thinking and working outside of the box was more important and more impressionable to audiences in both 1960 and 2016, and that's what really makes this horror classic just a little bit more special.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 3

Hints for #15-11:

15. @Baumer will really hate me for this.

14. When Stephen King gives you praise, you know you've done something good.

13. Ferris Bueller's Day in Power

12. @Baumer will really, really hate me for this.

11. Psycho vs. Psycho: Dawn of Psycho

• Like 2

Harry Potter

Directed by Chris Columbus, Alfonso Cuarón, Mike Newell, and David Yates

"There won't be a child in our world who doesn't know his name."

hp-posters.jpg

Box Office: $2.39B Domestic, $7.723B Worldwide

Why it's So Meaningful to Me: At a young age, everyone experiences their first attachment to a film franchise. The one where every subsequent film released fills them with great anticipation. For me, that would have to go to The Boy Who Lived. Admittedly, I didn't get super into the franchise until the movie version of Goblet of Fire rolled around, but from 2005 to 2011, Harry Potter was pretty much my life, similar to other kids my age growing up. I read the books cover to cover, I saw the first five movies on DVD multiple times, and the following three on TV multiple times, and each time I'm transported back to being a kid again, experiencing these well-written stories and interesting characters, watching as the films progress in their darkness and themes.

Of course what makes this even more special was the appeal this series had towards my entire family. There are very few movies that everyone in my family gets equal enjoyment out of, but the Harry Potter series is definitely one of them. The films have been rewatched multiple times over the years in the household, and the excitement between all of us when the last two movies were coming was through the roof. We all pretty much caught Pottermania, and it still sticks with us, as pretty much any time one of the movies is passed by during a channel surf, at least one of us will sit down and watch it all the way through.

But what's arguably the most important part of it all is that it kickstarted my love for fantasy and worldbuilding. The ideas of mythical creatures and unique sorcery were so fascinating and fun, which has helped me later fall in love with Lord of the Rings, Narnia, and How to Train Your Dragon, and it helps that the Wizarding World was so multi-layered and strongly developed. The ways of transportation, the structure of Hogwarts, the different blood purities, the political systems found in the Ministry of Magic, the creatures, the Quidditch matches, the towns; fucking everything! Rowling's unique universe is so well-developed, especially for a young adult series, as it takes the idea of fantasy, witchcraft, and wizardry to its full effect, all the while creating a fun, dramatic, and interesting story around it.

So due to it being my first fanboy franchise, a wonderful thing for the family to bond over, and the reason why fantasy and worldbuilding kick so much ass for me, the Harry Potter franchise holds a special place in my movie-loving heart.

And if you're wondering, yes, the whole family's beyond excited to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

• Like 6

I don't begrudge anyone for liking what they like.  Potter is over rated for me but millions love it...and terrific write up.

• Like 1

The Witch

Directed by Robert Eggers

"Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?"

THEWITCH_TEASER_03_halfsize.jpg

Box Office: $25.1M Domestic, $40.3M WW

IMDB Summary: A family in 1630s New England is torn apart by the forces of witchcraft, black magic and possession.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: Now this is probably the hardest movie to write about, not only because it came out this year and there are people that haven't seen it, so spoilers are a no-no, but because this is a film that is able to have many different interpretations depending on who you ask. In its message, some found it to be propaganda for Satanism, but what I got out of the film was that it was an attack on religious extremism, and sharing the dangers that it causes to people that follow that route.

For those who don't know, The Witch follows a Puritan family in Massachusetts who are exiled from their hometown and are forced to have their barn be in a secluded forest, far from civilization. In that time, a supernatural force from Satan comes to lay down a terrible curse upon their farm, resulting in the family tearing each other apart, and accusations that the eldest daughter Thomasin, played wonderfully by Anya-Taylor Joy, who I'm sure will quickly become one of the best young actresses working today in a few years, is a witch.

While there are so many admirable things about the film, such as its gorgeous cinematography, its phenomenal acting, and its well-developed script, I feel that what it really tackles best is its themes of religious extremism.

While I myself am not a religious person, and consider myself a Christian in name only, I'm also well aware of its importance to many people, as it has defined history and helps in keeping many people happy and sane. But one problem that I have with all religions is extremism.

Many people consider this film to be a promoter of Satanism, and while that element is found in the film, particularly in its ending, what really grabbed me to this film was its look at a family using their religion as a scapegoat and a way to blame one another. The father in particular goes especially cruel, willing to tear down the relationships he has with his children just to keep himself and his wife safe. And the reason why the father would do this is because of his affiliation with God. The only answer to any problem he has is to pray and believe that all of his actions is what God would want him to do. He refuses to believe in Thomasin's denial, which leads to the entire family going crazier and wilder, leading to a rather unique ending, which I won't spoil for those that have yet to see this feature.

Seeing how the two parents interact with their world and their affiliation with Christianity very much reflects the religious fundamentalism and mass hysteria found in that time period, but oddly enough, it also translates into a rather timeless message. Nowadays, in a world of religious extremists that either take the word of what they follow to absolute extremes and the threats they cause in people's livelihood, whether it be acts of discrimination or flat-out terrorism, it seems fitting that a movie like this is released today, to tell us that we haven't improved from centuries ago, and we should do better in not letting our beliefs and deities cloud us from being respectful and wonderful people. It works even better, as it stigmatizes Christianity, a religion known for its preaching of love and kindness, and supports Satanism, an occult group that supports what is considered the root of all evil, showing how religious followers come in multiple spectrums for any conceivable religion one can think of.

I'm not sure if this was Robert Eggers' intended moral or idea, but that's what I got out of it, and I'm thankful for Eggers' wonderful film, and I can't wait to see what his next film will be.

• Like 2

The Lion King

Directed by Rob Minkoff and Roger Allers

"Remember who you are."

The_Lion_King_poster.jpg

Box Office: $422.8M Domestic Lifetime, $968.5M WW

IMDB Summary: Lion cub and future king Simba searches for his identity. His eagerness to please others and penchant for testing his boundaries sometimes gets him into trouble.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: In hindsight, The Lion King is a pretty ridiculous idea. Take hundreds of elements from many Shakespeare plays, in particular Hamlet, MacBeth, and Henry IV, put it in a family film with talking animals, have a cast consisting of Darth Vader, Mr. Bean, Ferris Bueller, that guy whose in every Broadway play, and that kid from Home Improvement, and add in songs created by Elton John? Yeah, it sounds like something that would crash and burn, and even Disney felt the same thing. During the film's production, Pocahontas was being made in conjunction, and most of the top dogs in the animation and writing department were focusing on all of their resources on that film, while Lion King was more or less the "B-movie", the one that was just going to do alright critically and financially compared to the big dog.

Obviously, that hasn't happened, and it has endured as a modern classic, and a childhood favorite of many, including myself. Most people know me as a huge Disney geek, and Lion King, very much like Aladdin, was a huge part in my love for the company. I watched it plenty on VHS, but when it was rereleased on DVD in 2003, this was easily something that was rewatched over and over and over again.

But what puts this above Aladdin on this list is its overall theme on responsibility and the importance of the past. Coming from someone who more often than not wants to run away from problems, as well as someone who self-loathes himself whenever I make a mistake, this message really hits close to home. It's basically telling the viewer that not only should you be defined by your past, but it's important to learn from that past to better yourselves and take your rightful place to be who you truly are and who you are supposed to be. It really clicked with me when I saw the movie a couple years ago, as a teenager trying to find his own place and connection to who I am and who I want to be. It works as a strong allegory of coming of age, and it's done exceptionally well thanks to its memorable characters and gorgeous animation. Just the ending as Simba climbs up to Pride Rock, and accepts his place and who he's supposed to be makes this film terrific, and in all honesty is one of the best endings to any movie I've seen, and perfectly illustrates the power of destiny, self-discovery, and self-acceptance.

For being important to me as a kid, as a teenager, and very likely as an adult, The Lion King holds a special place to my heart.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, vc2002 said:

WOW that's a lot of animation films.

Speaking of which...

Finding Nemo

Directed by Andrew Stanton

"Fuck you, Dory"

Finding_Nemo.jpg

Box Office: $380.8M Domestic Lifetime, $936.7M WW

IMDB Summary: After his son is captured in the Great Barrier Reef and taken to Sydney, a timid clownfish sets out on a journey to bring him home.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: A lot of old-timers on the forum may not know this, but for a kid growing up in the 2000s, Finding Nemo was easily one of the most defining childhood films for my generation. I was about 5 when it came out, so my memory is rather fuzzy, but I do remember that the film being popular was a severely gross understatement. Every single kid watched it, and every single kid loved it. We talked about all of the cool chase scenes, we quoted all of the iconic lines, we talked about all of our favorite characters; it was a gigantic touchstone to the average 2000s kid.

And much like the other important relic of 2000s kids media I mentioned in the #15 slot, my family went nuts over it. Everyone in the family absolutely loved it for its colors, its characters, its story, its comedy, its adventure, its heart, its sense of fun, and everything else that makes it so good. To this day, we still quote lines from the movie with one another, and it's still regularly watched to this day. Much like any good family film, Finding Nemo is well aware that to leave a long-lasting impression, it can't talk down to kids, and make each element just as entertaining for a grown adult as it would to a child (well, except to grumpy, old grouches, like Baumer :ph34r:), and each sequence is well aware of that fact, putting the audience in wonderfully crafted scenes that only the masters of Pixar can bring.

If anything, I'd dare say that Finding Nemo is an almost perfect movie. I know that it's a bold claim, and nostalgia could be a part of this reasoning, but I do genuinely feel that. Every single sequence and character, as well as its pacing and tone is so masterfully handled, successfully giving out danger, laughs, joy, tears, heart, and wonder all in one glorious package. It's so perfectly paced, edited, and written that taking or adding anything would severely damage its quality. More recently, whenever I rewatch the film, I go in saying to myself, "Okay, this is the one where I notice something off. It'll still be good, but I'm taking off my rose-colored glasses, and I'll find something to complain about". And yet, that still hasn't happened. It's still just as funny, just as exciting, and just as memorable as my first viewing. If your movie is still able to be just as masterful and impressive to me, an 18 year old, as when I first saw it when I was 5, then you're pretty much amazing in my book.

Finding Nemo defined a generation, it's a huge soft spot for the family, and it's a perfect movie. What more do you really need?

• Like 7

:wub:

Finding Nemo is the first movie theatre experience of mine that I can truly remember. You hit the nail on the head. Kids our age, they all own Nemo, and it is important many of us. Its a film that I can revisit anytime anyday and I am moved by it every single time. Stanton tells a beautiful story with fully realized characters (anyone who says that Dory is simply comedic relief in this movie can fight me. ) There are few as investing as Finding Nemo. It is a film that is consistently in my top 10 or hell even top 5 of all time

• Like 2

The Dark Knight

Directed by Christopher Nolan

"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

Dark_Knight.jpg

Box Office: $534.9M Lifetime Domestic, $1B WW

IMDB Summary: When the menace known as the Joker wreaks havoc and chaos on the people of Gotham, the caped crusader must come to terms with one of the greatest psychological tests of his ability to fight injustice.

Why it's so Meaningful to Me: I already shared this story on Baumer's "50 Most Important Films" list, but I need to reiterate it once again in order to explain my appreciation for this film.

So in the summer of 2008, I was about 10 years old. My mom wanted to take me and my brother out to the movies. And for whatever reason, my Mom chose The Dark Knight. I'm not exactly sure why, since she doesn't care about comic book movies, but I guess it was just a case of nothing really appealing out, and good reviews swaying her towards it. Regardless, we went out to see it. I didn't know anything about this movie, outside of it being a Batman movie. Now I wasn't the biggest superhero movie fan as a kid, but there were some that I watched and enjoyed. I liked the Spider-Man movies, and I liked the Fantastic Four movies. So going in, I expected something along the lines of those movies. Films that had some moments of seriousness, but a good sense of fun and bounciness.

That wasn't the case. Boy that wasn't the case. Keep in mind also that as a kid, I was a humongous scaredy-cat. I was easily frightened, but for movies that did scare me, like Harry Potter or Pirates of the Carribean, I at least knew that the happy or cool or funny scene would come shortly. But happy scenes in this movie didn't happen. There was always an intense action scene. There was always a huge explosion. There was always the Joker, frightening the bejeezus out of me. It completely blindsided what I thought comic book movies were like, and it was really something that hit my nerves for weeks.

And yet, this is arguably a huge milestone for me. A couple of years after the movie, I actually began having interest in the lore of Batman. For some reason, I really wanted to know more about the Joker and Two-Face and Alfred and all of the other characters. This resulted in me playing and later loving the Arkham series of video games (which btw, if you haven't played yet, go do yourself a favor, and experience some true masterpieces!), and I absolutely adored Tim Burton's take on the Caped Crusader, loving its creativity, acting, and direction. Hell, by that time, I actually began gaining more interest in comic book movies. I loved the backstories and the personalities these characters had, and it plays into a part of why I'm obsessing over Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange. (Of course many of them connect to other genres and subjects I love, so that might have helped.)

The Dark Knight is also what I consider to be my first "adult" movie. Of course it's PG-13, and kids younger than me when I first saw it were able to enjoy it (boy, do I envy their bravery!), but this is the first film to really tackle mature subjects in a way that talked more to adults than kids. It talked of anarchy, crime, corruption, escalation, human choice, and other themes and topics that didn't get much attention from the likes of Dreamworks or Disney. It was my first exposure to these ideals, even though a lot of it flew over my head, since I was 10. But nowadays, as a young adult, I appreciate movies like Dark Knight. I like films with intensity. I like films with grit. I like films that talk about major important functions and values of life. The Dark Knight may have scared me, but it also toughened me up, and told me that there's more to movies than just silly cartoon characters or dopey comedians, and I'm thankful for my mom for taking me to the movies to see it. I don't know whether I'd love movies as much as I do now without watching it.

Although ironically, I still haven't seen The Dark Knight in its entirety since the first time I saw it in 2008, nor any of the other films in the Nolan Batman trilogy...maybe that'll change soon. ;)

• Like 4