CJohn

The Purge: Election Year (2016)

Grade it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I found it qa fitting entry into the series. Well placed characters throughout and the leads do their part. Sure, the anarchy vibe is a bit obtuse, but that's part of the charm. The soundtrack was really well done as well and lent itself to the mood of the film.

Not a must see, but if you enjoyed 1 and 2, may as well see 3 !

C+/B-

• Like 2

Well, it took three movies, but The Purge has kinda-sorta won me over with Election Year. It's still a pretty dumb, simple satire that doesn't reach nearly as deep as its makers think it does but it embraces the outlandishness of its premise more than its predecessors and works as an enjoyably over-the-top action movie.

B-

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I want my candy bar...

I don't think i have ever been happier for a character to be killed off more than I was when that disgusting thing got her face shot off :P 

• Like 2

Purge Election Year continues the success of the franchise by continuing on what Anarchy did. More outdoor, stuck in the city action and less people stuck in a house horror. Election Year brings back Frank Grillo who yet again kicks ass in this role. The film has some great action scenes and has some enjoyable new characters. The film does suffer from some over acting (I WANT MY CANDY BAR). If you enjoyed the first two purge films, you should enjoy this one.
Grade: B

Much better then I expected based on the trailers. I was glad there wasn't constant music video editing and quick flashes.

Again this movie is the strongest before the actual Purge happens or whenever it is focusing on the idea while the characters are battling the odds. I loved the stuff thrown in about internationals coming to America on holiday to Purge.

Frank and Elizabeth were both really good in the roles, even though the Senator was a moron for wanting to stay in her house on Purge night with what she was trying to accomplish. I saw that twist coming a mile away but that didn't really bring the movie down and I liked the neo nazi swat type group (even though it was an obvious dig at conservatives).

Candy Bar girl brought the movie down some so I was glad when she met the truck. But after her demise it got better again. I liked how we were getting a more expanded view of the world during this. The characters were all kind of cliches but it still worked. I also liked a lot of the visuals of people purging that was away from the main plot. They were well woven into Frank & Elizabeth's journey to safety and didn't feel random.

And now for the negatives:

This is yet another case of the 2016 third act flu because what was a fun B movie goes downhill fast once Elizabeth is kidnapped. The villains (especially the minister she was running against) were so freaking cartoonish. The concept was grounded in reality (besides candy bar girl) up until that point so it was disappointing to see the film go this route.

It turned into a big joke once we hit that church stage. Yes the audience was supposed to represent the powerful elite but again I felt like it was trying to mock republicans (and I'm not one). The movie turns the idea of The Purge into the real world issue of gun control aka the 2nd amendment. NAFFA is for it while Senator Roan isn't. But the problem is NAFFA didn't feel like actual politicians and the minister read his lines like a stupid villain out of a Resident Evil movie.

Then from that point on, this just keeps getting stupider as the priest pulls out a shotgun at the end and kills Joe. 

If they would have played it straight instead of over the top, it would have been a lot more effective in the message it was trying to send. Instead it just came off goofy.

I was entertained the whole way through though, I just don't get why movies are having a hard time closing out this year.

C+

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

The Purge: Election Year feels like a retread of the second movie. Oddly enough though, this isn’t that bothersome; this franchise thrives on feeling like a cheesy 80s-style-with-modern-filmmaking action movie and the retread fits with that tradition. The one thing that feels actually bigger than the predecessor is the cheesy moments. From an opening where pretty much every expletive imaginable is stated by head government official to scenes where someone tries to kill another person for a candy bar, this movie is unintentionally hilarious throughout it. The action is on the same level as the predecessor along with DeMonaco’s direction and Grillo’s presence. The Purge: Election Year is an alright B-movie, but rewatching the previous film would give you almost the same experience. C

The worst of the Purge trilogy, this was a big mess. From the horrendous acting and stupid lines of dialogue with the stupid bitch getting pissed about not getting her candy bar, man was I glad when that bitch got killed(best part of the movie)which by the way I knew that was going to happen a mile away when her dumbass was gettin all ho-ish on Mykelti Williamson like she was down to fuck him. Anyway the acting sucked, Frank Grillo was kinda just there and wasn't like what he was in Anarchy, Senator Roan was kinda annoying and she just mumbled throughout the whole damn movie. The plot wasn't interesting, and was just trying to shove shit in our face that I will not get into(like do we care?). Overall, fuck this movie. Grade:D-