Plain Old Tele

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Star Trek Beyond (2016)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I just knew something wasn't right when the very first scene had cute little creatures attacking Kirk. Suspicions turned into certainty when we learned that Uhura and Spock had broken up off-screen, the mention is made in one brief moment, a scene that has no impact whatsoever, a scene that only exists because the script is too afraid of going where the film series has never gone before, a scene that sadly foreshadows which route the movie would take. After 5 minutes, any hint of character drama, any sign of internal struggle are abandoned. After the Enterprise gets destroyed (for the 57th time), boredom took over me and didn't leave until the movie was finished. Star Trek Beyond is everything that the negative reviews have been saying it is. 

Just one question. I was not really paying attention at that point, but did Krall really hate the Federation because he liked fighting wars but didn't like the peace that the wars archived?

Star Trek 95/100
Into Darkness 90/100
Voyage Home 75/100
Motion Picture 70/100
Undiscovered Country 70/100 
Nemesis 65/100
Wrath of Khan 55/100
Insurrection 50/100
Search for Spock 50/100
Beyond 45/100
Final Frontier 45/100
First Contact 40/100
Generations 35/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

6/10, B ... fun popcorner without a boring moment, but not worthy of the Star Trek franchise. I know that those kind of movies make more cash at the BO than what the more sincerely Trekish movies ever did, but I can't help but feel sad when a movie with "Star Trek" in its title doesn't even offer the slightest intellectual challenge or try for a coherent plot or a believable situation. There wasn't even any human drama, no big character moments, and the climax with its resolution à la "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" was charming but was so silly in the context of Star Trek, it was cringeworthy. The villain was a complete zero, sorry.

I was tempted to rate this only 5/10 but after all, the production values were ok, the actors did an ok job with what they were given, I liked the crafty Jaylah, and as mentioned, at least it wasn't boring.

Edited by IndustriousAngel