CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

10 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

And it won't. It doesn't deserve it, and I like the film. I kinda wish it'll get to cross $300m dom, but that's like a pipe dream right now. 

With my 2.3 to 2.5 multiplier it'll cross it. I didn't like the film and I openly mocked it's Saturday drop but it should cross 300M

9 minutes ago, DAR said:

Next weekend I'll say 62.5% drop which would not actually be that bad all things considered.

Itll be considered fine at the very least just because it's not as steep as BVS' drop.

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

I say this not seen SS but is Rob Liefeld the best judge of quality?

He didn't like BvS, he enjoyed CW, I don't remember is opinion on XA....I don't know. It's like is any critic the best judge of quality? The guy is just voicing his opinion like everyone else. Go watch the movie and if you agree with him, great. If you don't, then doesn't mean he doesn't know how to judge quality, just that people have different tastes. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Yea he said he felt bad because his daughter saw that he didn't like the film so she kind of repressed her thoughts and so he didn't realize she loved it until like the next day after watching it. She loved the music and the Harley/Joker stuff too lol 

Like I've said yesterday, the younger crowd IS buying this. How huge an effect this will have on legs it's still something that it's up for grabs, but I really do think this sort of became a 'dating movie" for the younger crowd. And is that bad? I don't think so. "Oh but the hot topic crowd will be emulating Joker and Harley abusive relationship", well, we probably know where the paid off of their relationship is heading for. It's not the same situation of Superman not "being" Superman in Man of Steel, we are talking about villains here and Leto's version of Joker actually is humanized by his feelings towards Harley. Less of a force of nature like Ledger, but there's a pay off there, and there's a pay off to a Harley that is more in control of her own fate than simply being an abuse victim. She is still a victim of abuse, this will probably be address further, but she has power on their relationship. And I think THAT makes her more powerful. Eventually when she grews out of Joker, things will get insane. I'm fine that wasn't addressed here because this shouldn't be Harley's and Joker's show, leave that for her solo film. And yes, there's power for a Harley Quinn solo film. Low budget like Deadpool, make it a Valentine's day break up movie. The actual opposite of what Deadpool was. The potential is there. 

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

He didn't like BvS, he enjoyed CW, I don't remember is opinion on XA....I don't know. It's like is any critic the best judge of quality? The guy is just voicing his opinion like everyone else. Go watch the movie and if you agree with him, great. If you don't, then doesn't mean he doesn't know how to judge quality, just that people have different tastes. 

I was half joking but he's a terrible artist.

So, about the Saturday drop for Suicide Squad. Was that mostly due to free-ticket Friday inflation of Friday? The movie seemed to have a pretty good Sunday vs the 30m eyes on Micahel Phelps. I guess we'll have better indication about how much this thing drops or not with the weekday numbers. 

As for Rob Liefeld, I'm not sure he's the best judge of quality, but he did ape some pretty good comic runs and he did know enough to get the likes of Alan Moore on Supreme. Of course, I'm not sure how difficult that is to consider Alan Moore a strong comic writer...

Liefeld himself does have some creative ideas, though, as long as you filter through all the other creative ideas he's stolen from others.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

So, about the Saturday drop for Suicide Squad. Was that mostly due to free-ticket Friday inflation of Friday? The movie seemed to have a pretty good Sunday vs the 30m eyes on Micahel Phelps. I guess we'll have better indication about how much this thing drops or not with the weekday numbers. 

As for Rob Liefeld, I'm not sure he's the best judge of quality, but he did ape some pretty good comic runs and he did know enough to get the likes of Alan Moore on Supreme. Of course, I'm not sure how difficult that is to consider Alan Moore a strong comic writer...

Liefeld himself does have some creative ideas, though, as long as you filter through all the other creative ideas he's stolen from others.

I'm not going to write off SS or not because of weekday/2nd weekend drops. Instead I'm going to wait and see this complete it's global run. Because let's remember that THR article where 750-800 million was casually tossed around as the # it needed to break even.

Sure no China release is an obstacle, but that didn't stop DEADPOOL. Of course DEADPOOL also didn't have to do the numbers it did to be a hit because of its budget, but it made those numbers anyway.

• Like 1

top Engagements
all SS
1-AMC Empire 25 NYC
2-AMC Burbank
3-Regal Union Squ NYC
4-Regal Kaufman Astoria NY
5-Regal Irvine Spectrum
6-AMC Garden State Parmus NJ
7-Pac Glendale CA
8-Pac Grove Los Angeles
9-ST Palladium San Antonio TX
10-Regal LA Live Stadium
11-AMC Lincoln Squ NYC
12-Regal Sheepshead  Brooklyn NY
13-Regal New Rochelle City  NY
14-AMC Gulf Point  Houston TX
15-Regal Houston Marq Statium
16-Cobb Dolphin Miami FL
17-AMC Orange 30 Orange CA
18-Cs Warren Moore OK
19-AMC Mission Valley San Diego
20-ST Casa Blanca San Antonio TX

• Like 12

1 hour ago, RRA said:

I'm not going to write off SS or not because of weekday/2nd weekend drops. Instead I'm going to wait and see this complete it's global run. Because let's remember that THR article where 750-800 million was casually tossed around as the # it needed to break even.

Sure no China release is an obstacle, but that didn't stop DEADPOOL. Of course DEADPOOL also didn't have to do the numbers it did to be a hit because of its budget, but it made those numbers anyway.

It seems very unlikely that it needs 750M or 800M to break even. Perhaps, with theatrical revenues. When HE, TV rights, and merchandise enters the picture, it works out fine.

450 all domestic revenue

160 foreign rentals (theatrical)

60 foreign home entertainment

70 foreign tv licensing

-------------------------------------

740 total revenues without merchandising 

I don't see how it's not profitable.

175 (listed budget)

165 pricey P&A

55 global HE costs

45 participations

65 residuals, off-the-tops, interest, and overhead

---------------------------

505 million

Some say the costs for production were higher. But, even if they were 250, that could be 580 versus 740.

Edited for a basic arithematic mistake. Wrote 640 when it was 740.

Edited by superweirdo87

If that number's remotely right, it's for all revenues, not just theatrical. Even then, 750-800m seems way too high for basic profitability. MOS, with a significantly larger budget (and a huge WW marketing campaign), went into profitability in the 600s.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2016 at 9:22 PM, ddddeeee said:

Once BvS got going I started to like it? It's a mess but a perfectly enjoyable one. Don't think I get the hate.

Tbh even though I was one of the biggest haters on the board, I kinda wanna rewatch it because I'm convinced I'll like it more, especially after Suicide Squad was so generic. Because as messy as it is, it's definitely its own thing.

20 hours ago, John Marston said:

holy shit I forgot how amazing this trailer was. And it is absolutely nothing like the finished movie

LOL Honestly I remember hating this trailer and I like my first guess for the property ended up being right (I still loved the other bits of marketing though :/)