cannastop

Zootopia 2 | November 26, 2025

56 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Does Zootopia really have the same cultural impact as other huge Disney originals? I feel like they may have missed the boat on this one. I don't think Zootopia is anywhere near as beloved as Inside Out. Tho I acknowledge I don't have my finger on the pulse of what kids like.

I mean, I'm sure it will do fine. But those are some ridiculous numbers that only 2 animated films have ever reached. Increasing 50% on the first movie? I dont see it.

Spoiler

61ZkaCujGrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Edited by HummingLemon496

41 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think the bigger issue is that Avatar 3 will cut off some legs.

Animated kids movies and massive PG-13 blockbusters like Avatar can co-exist during the holidays. Think of Puss in Boots 2 and Avatar 2 or Sing 2 and No Way Home.

Just guessing I think Zootopia 2 will do around uhh. . . ~35M (?) on the weekend Avatar 2 opens

10 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Idk it seems pretty reasonable to me. Probably not gonna happen but I would love above IO2 DOM and WW.

Zootopia won’t reach IO2, The first one did too good in China, Japan, Russia, for the sequel to increase that much. It’s gonna drop big in China.

Also I doubt this does $600m DOM, every year we get 1-2 $600m DOM movies, Avatar 2 will be one of them next year, not sold on this reaching $600m too.

It will need a perfect storm like IO2 and that doesn’t happen for every movie, for example Incredibles 2 made $600m DOM but that didn’t mean Frozen 2 or TS4 made $600m one year later.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Zootopia won’t reach IO2, The first one did too good in China, Japan, Russia, for the sequel to increase that much. It’s gonna drop big in China.

Also I doubt this does $600m DOM, every year we get 1-2 $600m DOM movies, Avatar 2 will be one of them next year, not sold on this reaching $600m too.

It will need a perfect storm like IO2 and that doesn’t happen for every movie, for example Incredibles 2 made $600m DOM but that didn’t mean Frozen 2 or TS4 made $600m one year later.

It will probably do incredibles 2 and Frozen 2 numbers 

It is shrek 5 or the rumored barbie illumination movie that might pass inside out 2 dom and ww 

19 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Both Inside Out and Zootopia were animated originals with very good reception/legs (98% RT/A CinemaScore) and made very similar totals domestically ($75M/$341M for Zootopia and $90M/$356M for Inside Out). Both of their sequels are coming out 9 years after the original. . .just like Inside Out 2 this is also a perfect storm. 

Yes, we got two $600M+ DOM movies this year (my hot take is that if quality delivers, Moana could be the third). And we will also get two $600M+ DOM movies next year -- Avatar will be one and Zootopia 2 will be the other.

$600M+ domestic is not THAT hard now. By Avatar 3 we will have eight $600M+ movies in the 2020s. In comparison, by The Force Awakens, there were only three $600M+ movies in the 2010s. 

But ok fine, I'm not saying $600M+ is locked to happen, but it has a pretty solid chance of happening. Even u/AgentCooper315 is saying $620M DOM for Zootopia 2. 

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If AgentCooper315 says 620 I'm opening the club.

Look, I get it, it sounds kinda silly but I put that there because I genuinely agree with him that Zootopia 2 will make $600M+ DOM, not just "because of a nickname." And I explained my reasoning, I didn't just say "AgentCooper said X so therefore it's gonna happen" So I don't think it's fair to mock me about this in this specific case. 

(But seriously though when the time comes, aka Nov 26, 2024 or later I'm definitely making a >$600M DOM club, this is one of the most obvious breakouts to predict)

Sorry, the chance was too good to pass up 😛

I honestly have no idea what zootopia 2 will make, I probably wouldn't go that high but I mean I wouldn't have called for IO2 to make that either so who knows?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's impossible the same way I don't feel like it's a fair expectation for all the sequels to follow suit with IO2

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

Sorry, the chance was too good to pass up 😛

I honestly have no idea what zootopia 2 will make, I probably wouldn't go that high but I mean I wouldn't have called for IO2 to make that either so who knows?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's impossible the same way I don't feel like it's a fair expectation for all the sequels to follow suit with IO2

So let's go a little bit lower -- what do you think is the chance of over TLK19 DOM ($543M)?

7 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

So let's go a little bit lower -- what do you think is the chance of over TLK19 DOM ($543M)?

I...don't know? There isn't even a trailer out, not sure how you can put odds onto the numbers so early on

Edited by JustLurking

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I...don't know? There isn't even a trailer out, not sure how you can put odds onto the numbers so early on

No trailer, but there is some leaked footage from D23 (not gonna post it here because it's against the rules). But imo this is one of those movies where I don't really need a trailer to predict numbers, honestly. 

Also not that it matters or anything but I did say "I could see it doubling TLM domestically " (aka $600M) for IO2 back in November 2023: https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/31812-mind-freaked-inside-out-2-under-the-little-mermaid-2023-domestic-~298m/?do=findComment&comment=4621647

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Both Inside Out and Zootopia were animated originals with very good reception/legs (98% RT/A CinemaScore) and made very similar totals domestically ($75M/$341M for Zootopia and $90M/$356M for Inside Out). Both of their sequels are coming out 9 years after the original. . .just like Inside Out 2 this is also a perfect storm. 

Yes, we got two $600M+ DOM movies this year (my hot take is that if quality delivers, Moana could be the third). And we will also get two $600M+ DOM movies next year -- Avatar will be one and Zootopia 2 will be the other.

$600M+ domestic is not THAT hard now. By Avatar 3 we will have eight $600M+ movies in the 2020s. In comparison, by The Force Awakens, there were only three $600M+ movies in the 2010s. 

But ok fine, I'm not saying $600M+ is locked to happen, but it has a pretty solid chance of happening. Even u/AgentCooper315 is saying $620M DOM for Zootopia 2. 

2018 had more $600m DOM movies than any post-pandemic year but TS4, TLK, Frozen 2 still missed $600m DOM despite being Disney big IP movies with a lot going for them.

Point is, not every animated huge IP movie can reach $600m, Mario didn't. IO2 was the first GA appealing movie since Barbenheimer which increased demand, doubt that will also be the case for Zootopia 2. Also, Zootopia 2 doesn't have Summer weekdays and we don't know if it will have the great reception IO2 had. 

52 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

2018 had more $600m DOM movies than any post-pandemic year but TS4, TLK, Frozen 2 still missed $600m DOM despite being Disney big IP movies with a lot going for them.

Point is, not every animated huge IP movie can reach $600m, Mario didn't. IO2 was the first GA appealing movie since Barbenheimer which increased demand, doubt that will also be the case for Zootopia 2. Also, Zootopia 2 doesn't have Summer weekdays and we don't know if it will have the great reception IO2 had. 

Alright, I'll give it to you on this one. That is a fantastic point. Inside Out 2 was helped from the box office being absolute trash post-Barbenheimer. There was no $100M+ opener from Barbie to Inside Out 2, and the max DOM from Barbie to Inside Out 2 was just $281M. That is some bleak shit. 

From The Batman to Ant-Man 3 (11 months), there were nine $100M+ openers

From Barbie to Inside Out 2 (11 months), there were. . .two $100M+ openers

Yeah true Zootopia 2 doesn't have summer weekdays but it has thanksgiving and Winter Break a couple weeks after which should help.

• Like 1

This is what u/AgentCooper315 is saying about my $600M+ DOM theory for Zootopia 2, basically just follows the same reasoning that Zootopia 2 will increase like IO2 (and I'm posting it here because I genuinely agree with it, not just because it's from AgentCooper):

Zootopia 1 did 96% of IO1's domestic total
same for IO2 would over $630M+
plus high ticket prices are in favor of Zoo 2

7 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is what u/AgentCooper315 is saying about my $600M+ DOM theory for Zootopia 2, basically just follows the same reasoning that Zootopia 2 will increase like IO2 (and I'm posting it here because I genuinely agree with it, not just because it's from AgentCooper):

Zootopia 1 did 96% of IO1's domestic total
same for IO2 would over $630M+
plus high ticket prices are in favor of Zoo 2

Can you ask Agent Cooper how to get a ex-wife back?