Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

6 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

We're still looking at pre weekend admissions and it is 2 days earlier in the month than last year which puts people further from their holiday days off. 

Also I might be grasping for straws...

I was thinking this 10 minutes ago as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Agafin said:

So I've been reading this thread for a while, and I'm completely dumbfounded. Can someone pray tell me why this movie would "only" open to 120m to 130m if it indeed has 30m in previews? Unless the preview number is massively off (which is possible), I don't see how it opens to less than 150m.

SW is the most preview/midnight frontloaded franchise out there. Previews are always huge for them, it basically invented the whole midnight thing which became the previews we now know. If it's doing roughly 50% of TFA's previews, it should hold that it would do around 50% of TFA's OW. But that's not set in stone. It could be more or less frontloaded than TFA for example. 

Edited by MovieMan89

18 minutes ago, Highever said:

45.9 in previews? Wtf, am I reading that right?

Yea, I take the number of tickets my theatre sold and I'm able to extrapolate that into comparisons to actual box office. I sort of figured this out when going through numbers last year, that, for example, let's say The Intern sold 19000 tickets opening weekend (it didn't lmao I'm just making this example up), Zootopia sold 75000, Spectre sold 80000 etc i realized if I make for example 1k tickets our equivalent of $1M, than I can use that number to compare to the actual box office.

But yea, Rogue One did extremely well tonight.

• Like 6

Okay, I caught up on the thread. Thank you @AndyLL and @grim22 for settling things down. 

Guys, it's okay if you loved it, it's okay if you hated it. Each opinion is equally valid to express here. But please, let's be clear: your opinion is *your* opinion. Don't extrapolate it to make blanket assumptions about who will like it and who won't. 

In terms of loving/hating it: who cares what the reason is? Let's not jump down each other's throats because we disagree. 

• Like 8

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It's been up for awhile. I'm not really sure what they mean by it though, since the estimate they give is neither 50% or 62% of TFA's previews. 

Thanks.  Well, we'll know soon enough. :)

For what it's worth (and yes, I'm in LA), my audience cheered at the LFL logo, they cheered the "A long time ago...", they cheered the title card, they laughed at all the appropriate moments (I thought), they broke in applause for

Donnie Yen's big intro moment

and

Vader's first appearance.

There were huge reactions to

Vader going ape-shit at the end

and

Leia's line and the end-credit lead in.

I thought the

Cushing and Leia VFX were sensational. I involuntarily went "holy shit" out loud when Tarkin turned around for the first time.

• Like 8

Aaaaand, I've cooled down.  Mostly. ;)

Still a tiny tiny amount of residual annoyance, but I suppose if blowing 60 bucks* on a movie experience that didn't live up to what I wanted thanks to technical and weather problems is the worst thing that happens to me this weekend, I shouldn't complain that much. 

Emphasis on THAT much. :P

* I blew 16 bucks on parking when the weather forced us to go to a nearby uber expensive parking garage instead of getting free steet parking.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Aaaaand, I've cooled down.  Mostly. ;)

Still a tiny tiny amount of residual annoyance, but I suppose if blowing 60 bucks* on a movie experience that didn't live up to what I wanted thanks to technical and weather problems is the worst thing that happens to me this weekend, I shouldn't complain that much. 

Emphasis on THAT much. :P

* I blew 16 bucks on parking when the weather forced us to go to a nearby uber expensive parking garage instead of getting free steet parking.

Did the theater comp you tickets or anything? They should for a breakdown like that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Okay, I caught up on the thread. Thank you @AndyLL and @grim22 for settling things down. 

Guys, it's okay if you loved it, it's okay if you hated it. Each opinion is equally valid to express here. But please, let's be clear: your opinion is *your* opinion. Don't extrapolate it to make blanket assumptions about who will like it and who won't. 

In terms of loving/hating it: who cares what the reason is? Let's not jump down each other's throats because we disagree. 

Tele can you please stop making constructive posts, it detracts from the atmosphere of an opening weekend like this. Thanx

Edited by Treecraft
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

For what it's worth (and yes, I'm in LA)

Hide contents

Cushing and Leia VFX were sensational. I involuntarily went "holy shit" out loud when Tarkin turned around for the first time.

Spoiler

Yes, as I said in the spoiler thread, I literally have zero idea what critic(s) were bitching about there. Tarkin and Leia didn't look 'photo-realsitc', they looked REAL.

If I hadn't known they were recreations, I would have never suspected.

• Like 5

Just now, Porthos said:

Hide contents

Yes, as I said in the spoiler thread, I literally have zero idea what critic(s) were bitching about there. Tarkin and Leia didn't look 'photo-realsitc', they looked REAL.

If I hadn't known they were recreations, I would have never suspected.

I think there was a tiny tinge of uncanny valley every so often... in large part because I know he's dead. I suspect that if he wasn't, I wouldn't have caught it. Not sure. In any case, what a ballsy and unexpectedly glorious move to have Tarkin as a significant supporting character.

• Like 3