DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

What's up with Lion's expansion? I know Weinstein is in trouble, but it's not expanding at all and it has no marketing. Having seen the movie, I think it could absolutely be a big time hit if they do something with it, given the coming nominations as well.

I might see The Bye Bye Man out of curiosity. I know I should be seeing Hidden Figures, but I have little interest in it.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

What's up with Lion's expansion? I know Weinstein is in trouble, but it's not expanding at all and it has no marketing. Having seen the movie, I think it could absolutely be a big time hit if they do something with it, given the coming nominations as well.

It'll expand by the end of the month once the Oscar noms are out.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

They're waiting until after nominations are announced to expand it. Given that this weekend's plethora of new releases will be dropped like crazy real soon, that seems like a wise choice.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Weinstein is too busy with The Founder and Gold coming out in the next two weekends.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

They're waiting until after nominations are announced to expand it. Given that this weekend's plethora of new releases will be dropped like crazy real soon, that seems like a wise choice.

I hope so! I enjoyed the hell out of it. In my top five of the year, actually, pending Silence/Jackie/OJ/Elle/The Lobster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Did you see that The Founder is only getting 1,100 theaters? :lol: 

It's actually getting an alright ad push, but yeah. It has no awards prospects even though the reviews are good, probably should've released it in the summer as an adult-friendly alternative like Southpaw or something.

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

passengers is quickly losing its advantage over TGWTD from 2011 for the same period, might not break $100m

No way it misses 100M. 90M after the 4-day weekend, 95M after next weekend. Sony will fudge the numbers if needed, they're not going to stop at 99M. They don't even need that if Passengers can hold that ~75% daily gross compared to TGWTDT.

Passengers TGWTDT %

5 day 22,19 21,15 104,97

Fri 2,66 3,53 75,36
Sat 3,81 4,95 77,03
Sun 2,34 2,88 81,22
Mon 0,75 0,94 79,61
Tue 1,23 1,25 98,10
Wed 0,78 1,08 72,35
Thu 0,71 1,00 70,57
Fri 1,53 1,94 78,68

Gross to date 85,90 83,12 103,35
Legs (5 day) 3,87 3,93 98,46
Final gross* 101,17 102,5158 98,68
*if Passengers holds the last day's %  

Actually this Friday increase is very good despite losing a bigger amount of theaters.

Edited by misafeco
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

It's actually getting an alright ad push, but yeah. It has no awards prospects even though the reviews are good, probably should've released it in the summer as an adult-friendly alternative like Southpaw or something.

Like it was originally planned to? :lol:

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That was the original plan. But I guess they thought Keaton could get nominated.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Who would've thought The Bye Bye Man would be the "success" story of this weekend's openers? The trailer got laughs every time I saw it over the holidays.

STX surprises the hell out of us. I saw the trailer for The Boy in late 2015, and thought it looked like laughable shit. But then I saw it, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually good.