FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

Super hero genres is very entertaining. People who hate on it are annoying. 

There are plenty of entertaining movies in the genre yes. But you know fear of pushing the envelope seems to be very there. Gotta fit in there safe little formula so they make money. Well Logan and (as much as I hate to say it) Deadpool prove they don't have to do that.

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

There are plenty of entertaining movies in the genre yes. But you know fear of pushing the envelope seems to be very there. Gotta fit in there safe little formula so they make money. Well Logan and (as much as I hate to say it) Deadpool prove they don't have to do that.

Yeah but that formula has given Marvel critical and financial success. As the saying goes if it's not broke don't fix it. Sure it's nice to have something break it once in awhile but it's understandable why it's rare. 

31 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Dude, it's very simple! Every nation relates better to things that are closer to their own experience. Europeans relate better to Lord Of the Rings, Brits relate to James Bond, the Empire, Potter and the BFG, Germans relate to Goethe or Mozart, Italians relate to The Godfather, Greeks relate to 300, Troy, Alexander, the Japanese relate to The Last Samurai, the Chinese relate to Mulan and fighting the Japanese (why Hacksaw Ridge did so well there), Asians in general love giant robots fighting monsters, Russians relate to Anna Karenina or WWII etc etc etc ad infinitum. Just as liberal Americans and black Americans relate to what you are relating. 

Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend? 

Yep. People relate to what's easy for them to follow and that means movies free of culture/politics/history/humor/etc that are too specific for one country or one segment of the country, etc. Faith based movies, white or black or mixed cast, don't do well with anyone in US outside of faith groups. Exception being Passion of the Christ that managed event buzz so everyone wanted to see the movie that was so much talked about. Movies about rich white people's problems, such as This Is 40s, didn't fly with poor and middle class white people let alone with minorities. Madea doesn't attract general black audience but a specific audience within it, etc. Even within one group there are sub-groups that don't relate to movies that are too "other sub-group specific".  

Likewise, Will Smith is a huge global star cause his movies were easily understood everywhere. Marvel is big because their movies have globally relateable formula. Black Panther is going to be big for that reason. 

OTOH, movies like GO are made for US audience's understanding, not for global audience. Most small and medium budget movies are not made with global audience in mind (don't need them to break even and make profit), while blockbusters definitely are. Therefore, blockbusters that cost 150-250M may have diverse cast but they won't be thematically about something specific for that group only. They'll be very general in all aspects - theme, humor, characterization, slang, etc. When you make a movie for more than one market, you have to globalize the appeal which always boils down to making things generic. 

• Like 3

Superhero Fatigue I've been hearing about is not happening soon, and although it might in the near future, we are seeing movies brining new ideas like GOTG, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Logan, and many others in the future. I agree with James Gunn that rivalry in superhero genre we should not care about, and strive for all superhero movies to do well. http://screenrant.com/james-gunn-marvel-dc-movies/

• Like 1

Legit congrats to Mangold and Fox. They had the ambition to make something human. Something intimate. Something other than just another superhero romp. And it payed off being the greatest in the genre in recent memory and possibly ever

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Yeah but that formula has given Marvel critical and financial success. As the saying goes if it's not broke don't fix it. Sure it's nice to have something break it once in awhile but it's understandable why it's rare. 

Yeah I get it. It works real well for Marvel. I do hope though that Logan and Deadpool do inspire more creativity and ambition in the genre. At least allow Fox to keep up with it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Yeah I get it. It works real well for Marvel. I do hope though that Logan and Deadpool do inspire more creativity and ambition in the genre. At least allow Fox to keep up with it

Can't argue there since I love both Logan and Deadpool. After Fant4stic I was worried if Fox would ever get back on their feet.

• Like 2

Not all people are edge lords who only like R rated superhero movies.

Plenty of people also anticipate colorful and imaginative movies like GotG2, Spider-man: Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Thor 3. 

I love Deadpool and Logan but to say they're the only good thing about the genre or that they're saving the genre is ridiculous.

The superhero genre has been one of the most successful in history for e few years now. The inspired, recent Fox output is the cherry on top.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

Superhero Fatigue I've been hearing about is not happening soon, and although it might in the near future, we are seeing movies brining new ideas like GOTG, Deadpool, Doctor Strange, Logan, and many others in the future. I agree with James Gunn that rivalry in superhero genre we should not care about, and strive for all superhero movies to do well. http://screenrant.com/james-gunn-marvel-dc-movies/

There isn't a fatigue but success of R rated SH movies may indicate that part of the SH  audience wants a change from the usual family friendly stuff (both Marvel and DC). I'm glad that Deadpool, that actually brought something new to the table, is much bigger hit than Doctor Strange, which didn't. I hope Logan beats recent X Men movies cause they didn't bring anything new to the table either.

Alternative is good for all. SH shouldn't be only R or only PG-13, it's better with both.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Not all people are edge lords who only like R rated superhero movies.

Plenty of people also anticipate colorful and imaginative movies like GotG2, Spider-man: Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Thor 3. 

I love Deadpool and Logan but to say they're the only good thing about the genre or that they're saving the genre is ridiculous.

The superhero genre has been one of the most successful in history for e few years now. The inspired, recent Fox output is the cherry on top.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the MCUs output. I enjoy it too! But the genre is capable of being more. There is room for the Logans and TDKs of the world. And I want the filmmakers that have the ambition to do something special in the genre to have the ability to do so.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There isn't a fatigue but success of R rated SH movies may indicate that part of the SH  audience wants a change from the usual family friendly stuff (both Marvel and DC). I'm glad that Deadpool, that actually brought something new to the table, is much bigger hit than Doctor Strange, which didn't. I hope Logan beats recent X Men movies cause they didn't bring anything new to the table either.

Alternative is good for all. SH shouldn't be only R or only PG-13, it's better with both.

I agree but still be have to say that different type of superhero movies can do well regardless of rating. I think that we should be rooting for all of them to do well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the MCUs output. I enjoy it too! But the genre is capable of being more. There is room for the Logans and TDKs of the world. And I want the filmmakers that have the ambition to do something special in the genre to have the ability to do so.

Exactly. R isn't for every SH movie, but where it's suitable, by all means don't PG-fy it for the sake of wider appeal! especially since recent crop of R rated movies, not just SH, shows that R can have just as big audience. 

Also, people like to alternate so GOTG will look fresh after R rated Logan, Logan looked fresh after PG-13 Doctor Strange, etc.

@chrisman0606 Absolutely. It's more that fans are happy that CB that deserved R treatment to fully do it justice, are finally getting that treatment. Not that everything should be R.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

In case you couldn't tell Logan elicited a lot of passion from me

Same here. I hope it inspires more diversity in the superhero genre for all sides.

• Like 2

THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE failed to impress Chinese moviegoers, opening with just ¥25M ($3.6M) this weekend.

RESIDENT EVIL: THE FINAL CHAPTER earned est. ¥117 ($17.1M) this wknd, -82% from its opening weekend. China's total is now ¥951 ($138.5M).

A DOG'S PURPOSE opened with est. ¥120M ($17.4M) this weekend. WOM blowing up, chance of ¥500M (~$70M).

LOGAN debuted in China with est. ¥338M ($49.0M) this weekend in 1st place (X-Men Apocalypse - ¥386M opening weekend)

• Like 3