John Marston

Liar Liar (1997)

yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Liar Liar starring Jim Carrey. This movie opened March 21, 1997 and was a strong leggy hit making $181,410,615 which adjusts to $341,874,000.

a prime example of the massive starpower of Carrey and how we don't have anyone today that compares. 

• Like 2

This movie was massive for a comedy. I remember that it was still playing at the local multiplex when I saw Hercules on its opening day in late June (granted, we had three multiplexes that never shared movies, but still).

The most impressive part is that it came on the heels of The Cable Guy, which turned off Carrey's fans left and right during its theatrical run. Going from that to Liar Liar was quite the rebound.

This being a massive success has always made total sense to me - it's just a total slam-dunk concept that's rife for comedy. 

I remember seeing the (hilarious) ad campaign and thinking it was going to be big (but not THAT big). 

The movie itself still holds up on repeat viewing even 20 years later.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2017 at 1:36 PM, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

This film and Bruce Almighty are a testament to the fact that Carey is the largest comedic draw of the last 20 years. Not even Will Ferrell comes close 

The number 2 is probably Sandler I think (really impressive and really long run), but still prime Carey was a clear step above:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=adamsandler.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=jimcarrey.htm

• Like 1