tawasal

Weekend actuals Journey 2: 27,35m/Star Wars: 22,47m/SH: 40,17m/ The Vow: 41,20m

It's funny how people are still so afraid to predict anything huge for John Carter

Oh I think this box office revival will certainly benefit everything next month if it holds up that long, but even so I still think JC is destined to have the lowest opening of those 4. A $40m OW would be an ambitious goal for it to hit, imo.

I am cautiously optimistic. These openings only mean that the films themselves were actually appealing to audiences. It does not mean that everything from now on will break out.

Bingo. People don't suddenly go more to theaters because the calender year has switched from 2011 to 2012.

I am cautiously optimistic. These openings only mean that the films themselves were actually appealing to audiences. It does not mean that everything from now on will break out.

But I find it hard to believe that we're not in a box office revival when nearly every week of 2012 has seen at least one surprising breakout, and primarily with the standard slew of generic January/February releases. I don't see anything about any of these breakout movies this year that have been more appealing than the usual crop of crap released this time of year. The box office rebounding seems to be the only explanation, and if that's the case then yes that will affect everything. It doesn't mean everything will breakout, but movies in general will do better than the last 2 years.

Bingo. People don't suddenly go more to theaters because the calender year has switched from 2011 to 2012.

I have been saying that for months!!!! Edited by CJohn

Well, not consciously, but who knows? 2011 was kind of a shitty year in general, not just in the movie biz. And since January the economy's been rebounding, unemployment is down, even the weather has improved... Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I believe it all has to do with cycles of the box office, and it could just so happen that the cycle switched this time around the New Year. Edited by MovieMan89

I don't see anything about any of these breakout movies this year that have been more appealing than the usual crop of crap released this time of year.

If moviemakers / studios would know the exact formula, what it is that makes people go to watch movies, there would only be breakouts. Moviemaking is not an exact science.

If moviemakers / studios would know the exact formula, what it is that makes people go to watch movies, there would only be breakouts. Moviemaking is not an exact science.

Right, and I think that partly has to do with the cycles of the box office I mentioned. It's a lot easier for movies to breakout when the box office is thriving. So if we're in a revival cycle after the slump of the past two years, that would explain why some of these movies are breaking out this year. I've never believed it all has to do strictly with movie appeal, there's too many times in box office history that disprove that theory. Timing is everything. Edited by MovieMan89