YM!

2018: Minorities at The Box Office

Giving the mega success of Get Out (~$176M) and Hidden Figures ($169M), has me as both a film lover and a POC very happy that audiences have token an interest in these types of movies. I'm especially optimistic and hyped about that some of the potential blockbusters of 2018, will either have a POC as the main character or/and written/directed by minorities/women. I'll be going over what I think how big domestically these films will be and will be updating this when more additions come in or found.

Moving on Up

Black Panther (Directed/Written by Ryan Coogler): $105M/$330M

Due to having the benefits of being the first black superhero movie in years, the talent and power of MCU, there's no doubt in my mind that Black Panther will arguably be one of the biggest hits of the year. 

Disney's A Wrinkle In Time (By Ava DuVernay) $85M/$230M

Disney, for the first time in a while is investing in a original film, which happens to be an risky adaptation. From the writer of Frozen, Wrinkle In Time could potentially be one of the biggest family films until June when Incredibles 2 tears shit up. Oprah also stars in this film, and from the buffo March spot, this could be one of Disney's surprise hits if they market it right.

Mulan (by Niki Caro): $100M/$300M

As bland as some of Disney's past remakes have been, this seems one of the most interesting as it gives on a more realistic/warlike take on one of Disney's biggest hits from the 90s, while keeping the music. I could see this being TJB of 2018.

Animated Spider-Man (Lord/Miller): $45M/$210M

As a Spider-Man fan since I was 4, I'm very excited about this one. Animated Spider-Man could be a breakout. Unlike previous Spider-Man movies, Miles Morales (an young African American/Hispanic teen), taking up the Spider-Man mantle something that hasn't been done in film yet. Considering how big Spider-Man is I can see this surprise especially with Lord/Miller steering the wheel. 

Big(ger) Breaks for Directors 

Jurassic World 2: $190M/$460M

Although this'll definitely decrease for World, this'll still be big, especially for Bayona. 

Aquaman: $110M/$330M

We all know how big superhero movies have been. If Aquaman is liked in JL, and Wan delivers a masterpiece, expect big things.

Any thoughts? Your opinions/predictions? Am I missing anything?

Edited by YourMother

1 minute ago, Fate of the Robertman2 said:

Spider-Man is still too damn high.

If it were another Peter Parker movie told. I would have agreed, since he's not only been in numerous movies but all of the Spider-Man cartoons are focused on him.

I'm not sure why you have so much faith in Sony Animation. Their track record is spotty to say the least, and I just don't see why people are going to be yearning for an Animated Spider-Man movie. I swear you're the only person I've even seen talking about it.

Mostly agree with the others. Disagree that Disney remakes are all bland. TJB and Cinderella were dope. But yeah, should be a fun year to follow.

4 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I'm much more disturbed by lack of female-oriented films and female directors.

Well history has thought anything then it will be first white men then black men then women. And people don't even care.

I'm including them too in my list, in Hollywood and in America I feel like everyone should have a chance.

Edited by YourMother

black panther will be a giant. i'm really rooting for wrinkle in time cos i love ava but i'm scared it might flop. tough to do a movie like that when it's not based on a cartoon people are nostalgic for these days. don't care about the other two.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

black panther will be a giant. i'm really rooting for wrinkle in time cos i love ava but i'm scared it might flop. tough to do a movie like that when it's not based on a cartoon people are nostalgic for these days. don't care about the other two.

Wrinkle in Time should be fine. Next March is nowhere near as packed as this year's was.

I'm sorry, but is Miles Morales really that popular? I'm sure he's a cool character, but does your average joe who sees CBMs but doesn't read comic books know who he is? Never mind the movie facing both a SH movie (Aquaman) and a family movie (Mary Poppins, though I admittedly am more optimistic on its box office than other predictors.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wrinkle in Time should be fine. Next March is nowhere near as packed as this year's was.

Not to mention it's the only family film in March, since Anubis ain't happening.

9 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'm not sure why you have so much faith in Sony Animation. Their track record is spotty to say the least, and I just don't see why people are going to be yearning for an Animated Spider-Man movie. I swear you're the only person I've even seen talking about it.

Mostly agree with the others. Disagree that Disney remakes are all bland. TJB and Cinderella were dope. But yeah, should be a fun year to follow.

Cinderella and TJB are outliers both were good. 

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm sorry, but is Miles Morales really that popular? I'm sure he's a cool character, but does your average joe who sees CBMs but doesn't read comic books know who he is? Never mind the movie facing both a SH movie (Aquaman) and a family movie (Mary Poppins, though I admittedly am more optimistic on its box office than other predictors.)

TBH, he's cameoed a few times in the newer cartoons. However, I mainly believe it could reach that height mainly due this is an African American Spider-Man. Besides I could see Disney dropping the ball in marketing for either WIR2 or MPR, going with the latter. I think they could coexist.

21 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'm not sure why you have so much faith in Sony Animation. Their track record is spotty to say the least

For their films that don't have Lord/Miller involved somehow?  Sure.

For their films that do however...we'll need to talk about that :ph34r:.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Valerian said:

I liked the Cloudy films but they were hardly box office giants. I don't see their involvement getting this to 150M+, let alone 200M.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

So you're saying Animated Spidey will make around $110M?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I liked the Cloudy films but they were hardly box office giants. I don't see their involvement getting this to 150M+, let alone 200M.

Yeah but they also didn't have much brand recognition besides a mostly-unrelated children's book.  Spider-Man looks to bring the goods in that department :).