kayumanggi

Thursday Numbers: 4.5 M BAYWATCH

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It have a $ 230m budget, the films is not making less than $ 600m... (probably more)

Not exactly good, but not bad either.

Remember that they take less money from foreign grosses as well. It's definitely not good, more like meh. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea I'm not getting the Twlight comparisons. Twilight was HUGE even before the films came out. I remember everyone was reading the books in school. And then when the films came out, they came out with already a bunch of hype because of how many folks read the books. 

The book became huge before the film came out, but the movie talks started in 2004, before the book was even released.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The book became huge before the film came out, but the movie talks started in 2004, before the book was even released.

I feel like the movie talks began, as soon as the books started to get huge though. When I was in middle school, a lot of the kids were already reading Twlight. It was like it happened simultaneously, if that makes sense. The books were getting huge so the movie talks began. That's how I remember it 

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Remember that they take less money from foreign grosses as well. It's definitely not good, more like meh. 

Agree with meh...

Probably this movie will never be remembered to being a success or a flop.

And 6th movie is not gonna happening (sadly).

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yes it became popular before the movies came out, but not particularly popular before the first movie started to be developed (a bit like Potter), my point is that didn't build or plan a franchise around them and that costed them a fortune to not have do so (and put it a risk or not being able to have Stewart orther key member doing sequels at all)

1) What? Harry Potter was very popular before the first movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone

In August 1999, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone topped the New York Times list of best-selling fiction,[37] and stayed near the top of the list for much of 1999 and 2000, until the New York Times split its list into children's and adult sections under pressure from other publishers who were eager to see their books given higher placings.[24][35] Publishers Weekly's report in December 2001 on cumulative sales of children's fiction placed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 19th among hardbacks (over 5 million copies) and 7th among paperbacks (over 6.6 million copies).

I think studios were scrambling for the rights to the movie, as well. JK Rowling got paid millions for the rights to the first couple of books. 

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would need to ask why too, not have sequel option close in their contract ?

2) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Also Harry Potter the books were already extremely popular before the first movie came out. 

Twilight was a smaller version of Harry Potter in terms of popularity before the films came out but make no mistake, those two book series were already huge before the films came out. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Also Harry Potter the books were already extremely popular before the first movie came out. 

Twilight was a smaller version of Harry Potter in terms of popularity before the films came out but make no mistake, those two book series were already huge before the films came out. 

I think that the big difference with Potter is that, HP was huge throughout the world, while Twilight was always a US thing and even there, at a smaller scale...

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why do people expect a PotC sequel to be backloaded? :kitschjob:

Because the other films are not frontloaded!

The midnights is way more strong now, but we don't know how much it will affect POTC since none of the films is released with so big midnights numbers... It could be frontloaded or not (like the others).

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think that the big difference with Potter is that, HP was huge throughout the world, while Twilight was always a US thing and even there, at a smaller scale...

Of course. I don't think it's even a comparison, to be honest. I mean Harry Potter has turned into a massive brand now. Whereas Twlight kind of faded...although it did open the doors for more Vampire type shows like Vampire Diaries. I was just saying that it in both situations though, each book series already had a pretty big following well before the films came out. HP was another scale of course but both were huge. 

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I suppose you are right, but then again do you remember when Fantastic Beasts' previews came out??

It may be that fans will steadily appear for this one.

Fantastic Beasts wasn't a sequel and November/December  movies typically have better legs.

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

WB got the rights to HP before the first book was published. 

Not trying to argue but I looked it up (because I thought this was interesting lol) and it says WB got the rights in 1999 and the book was published in 1997. 

Of course. I don't think it's even a comparison, to be honest. I mean Harry Potter has turned into a massive brand now. Whereas Twlight kind of faded...although it did open the doors for more Vampire type shows like Vampire Diaries. I was just saying that it in both situations though, each book series already had a pretty big following well before the films came out. HP was another scale of course but both were huge. 

Yeah you are absolutely right.

I have always said that I believe HP's success as a book series is far bigger than as a movie franchise.

Selling 500 million copies in an industry far weaker than the movie industry is just phenomenal/unprecedented..

Using a $10 for ticket price that would translate to $5,000,000,000 in box office and well books are more expensive ;)

That's not me being a potterhead but I think that it is objective to say that Harry Potter is the biggest pop phenomenon of this generation.

Not trying to argue but I looked it up (because I thought this was interesting lol) and it says WB got the rights in 1999 and the book was published in 1997. 

I went to a Q&A where John Heyman talked about getting the rights based off of seeing the proof galleys before the first book was published. Technically, I don't know if it was his company that acquired the rights and then WB bought them from him, but I believe he also had a first-look contract with them and it was their money that was used. But I might be wrong about some of the technical details. 

I'll be curious to see how Ready Player One does because while it's not a YA novel, the book did sell very well. I think having Spielberg as director as well as an appealing premise could help it achieve success provided it's decent of course