CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

There are always risks in movie making, no matter what movie it's.

If a Production budget/advertisements = 100s Milli +, then it's a risk. It's not easy to recoup that money back, unless the movie is a hit

So risks are involved no matter what. So I don't get the point of arguing risks or no risks. It's a business, no different than the stock market, when one is willing to put his/her money on the line to make or break.

Marvel vs dc

Movies

Hmmm if we go full marvel vs dc, it's difficult. Dc started this, there is dark knight trilogy and all.

But x men, spider man, mcu, marvel wins.

Marvel movies>>> dc movies

Games

Dc games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and many more>>> marvel games.

Lol marvel don't exist here.

Comics

Dc comics>marvel comics.

. Both have done good job here but dc stared it.

Tv.

Idk

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Irony being MCU and DCEU tried this with Thor(Jenkins) and Wonder Woman (MacLaren) prior to Jenkins helming Wonder Woman.

I admire fiege for going with jenkins with thor at a time when there was not much pressure. 

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I understand where you are coming from completely because I do think that these discussions get carried away and I am glad the moderators have been strict with them BUT in this particular case, I felt like folks weren't discussing the universes in terms of how they stack up against one another, but rather how each individual film is seen from a stylistic/risk perspective. Of course who knows where the discussion would have headed so maybe it was for the best that you had said something. 

Yes, you are right....much of the discussion was fine.....but there's always a few do do birds who get carried away.

I kind of get the whole MCU samey feel with Avengers series nowadays and Doctor Strange (but its visuals were top notch), I mean I'll see Infinity War but I'm much more excited for Black Panther or Thor 3 or Captain Marvel. But a lot of them have a different genre/hook to make it interesting. Homecoming was a John Hughes movie with superhero elements, Guardians 1 and 2 are unique space operas (in a way) with the fun of Pirates/Transformers in their prime or best moments, Ant-Man was a refreshing smaller scale heist movie, Winter Solider was an excellent political thriller and one of the best CBMs ever. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Marvel vs dc

Movies

Hmmm if we go full marvel vs dc, it's difficult. Dc started this, there is dark knight trilogy and all.

But x men, spider man, mcu, marvel wins.

Marvel movies>>> dc movies

Games

Dc games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and many more>>> marvel games.

Lol marvel don't exist here.

Comics

Dc comics>marvel comics.

. Both have done good job here but dc stared it.

Tv.

Idk

Well, DC came out with Superman in 1978....

29 minutes ago, Nova said:

Also Black Panther may not be a financial risk....but because of the political climate we are currently in, yes it is a risk. 

The Marvel brand is so well-known and a seal of quality for many people that it's gonna be okay anyway, and this political risk is mostly for DOM, not that much elsewhere.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

The Marvel brand is so well-known and a seal of quality for many people that it's gonna be okay anyway, and this political risk is mostly for DOM, not that much elsewhere.

Actually it may be the opposite. Panther has a good chance to breakout domestically and any controversy will only help it here (see WW, Zootopia, Get Out), it's the foreign audience that may have a problem.

• Like 5