CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Just now, The Panda said:

A boy who has Transformers in his top 10 of all time has no say in what's casual.

It's Ethan. He's always been casual.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Catching up...here's the thing about why Wonder Woman was a risk...

It's not just b/c she was a girl...she's also an Amazonian demigoddess.  So, in terms of budget and story, how do you make a movie where you can have an arc where she doesn't automatically win in the 1st 30 seconds, but which will keep an audience interested and engaged (greek gods can be a snore) and which will not cost $8 billion dollars?  

The writers knocked that out of the park...without such a tight, well-thought out arc story, this movie really could have gone sideways...

PS - This is why Catwoman got a story 1st - it was an easier, cheaper, and more audience-relatable story to tell...not that they told it well...

No Catwoman got a movie first because DC are obsessed with Batman and anything Batman related and believe they can't make money off of anything else... except Superman sometimes.  And how was Green Lantern easier to translate again?

Edited by Zakiyyah6

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

A boy who has Transformers in his top 10 of all time has no say in what's casual.

You could call it opinion if you want but its anything but casual. Casuals follow the popular take.

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

You could call it opinion if you want but its anything but casual. Casuals follow the popular take.

The GA who supported Transformers are automatically casual.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hulk also had a bad movie and TIH was very mixed. MCU goodwill + Hulk + Doctor Strange + Hela + good reviews (in Taika I trust) can help the it up. Everytime I get this trailer it gets great reactions, when I went to see GV2 OW, it got better response than Jedi. I know Spider-Man isn't the best comparison but if Spidey can overcome 3 mixed to bad movies, I think Thor can overcome a so-so movie and a bad movie.

"but if Spidey can overcome 3 mixed to bad movies, I think Thor can overcome a so-so movie and a bad movie."

That's because Spider-Man has Iron Man help, it's not a "pure" Spider-Man movie, anyway, it will not be easy for SMH to reach $300 million mark.

And Hulk is not Iron Man, does not have the same impact.

• Like 1

Hmm, my 2018 stan list is this:

-Red Sparrow

-Tomb Raider***

-READY!  PLAYER!  ONE!

-Tag***

-Skyscraper***

-ALITA!  BATTLE!  ANGEL!

-Mission: Impossible 6

-Darkest Minds

-First Man

-Overlord

-MORTAL!  ENGINES!

*** indicates the placement is subject to change.

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Transformers DOM BO: 319.2m

Looks popular to me :ph34r:

Just now, That One Guy said:

-Red Sparrow

-Tomb Raider***

-READY!  PLAYER!  ONE!

-Tag***

-Skyscraper***

-ALITA!  BATTLE!  ANGEL!

-Darkest Minds

-First Man

-Overlord

-MORTAL!  ENGINES!

literally nobody cares about this.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

No Catwoman got a movie first because DC are obsessed with Batman and anything Batman related and believe they can't make money off of anything else... except Superman sometimes.  And how was Green Lantern easier to translate again?

We are talking which women came 1st and why - street level is always easier to write...the stakes are easy (these characters can die, they have few powers), the finding of enemies to match them is easy (anyone with a gun), and the supporting characters are easy (since you can friend them with anyone)...and it's always easier to budget gun fights and street-level ninja fights...

Green Lantern was a guy and we already discussed those are easier overall...but when you are picking female supers, is it any wonder that even Avengers started with Black Widow (street level) vs Scarlett Witch (and even with Scarlett Witch, they changed her on-screen powers to make her more doable)...they already had enough "gods" to plan around and didn't want to stuff another one in a plot...

It's also why Elektra got a movie...again, another street-level cheap movie to make...

Edited by TwoMisfits

I hope Black Panther does big business. Ever since I saw Spider-Man on DVD when I was 6, I have hoped and wanted to see a superhero who looks like my skin color in the movies as the main hero. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

-Red Sparrow

-Tomb Raider***

-READY!  PLAYER!  ONE!

-Tag***

-Skyscraper***

-ALITA!  BATTLE!  ANGEL!

-Darkest Minds

-First Man

-Overlord

-MORTAL!  ENGINES!

That's a pretty good list. Aquaman is on mine but I dig a lot of those choices.

• Like 1