Your Favorite Soundtracks/Scores

Surprised we don't have a general thread for this yet (there's only one dealing with John Williams specifically).Anyways, this thread is where you can discuss your favorite soundtracks and scores from the movies, television, video games, etc.I'll kick things off by mentioning that the music from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan came up on Shuffle on my Itunes earlier today and I was as always thrilled by its full-blown nautical adventure approach to sci-fi. Rivals the best of Star Wars' music for sure and is the source of many of the motifs James Horner has self-plagiarized over the years.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR2v62mfdX4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1PejM57F8s&feature=related

Edited by 4815162342

I am a score fanatic. I'll run down my favorites from different composers.Zimmer:Gladiator, The Last Samurai, InceptionJNH:The Village, Beautiful and Central Park from King KongJames Horner:A Beautiful Mind. I think this is still the best score he's ever done, yes even better than Titanic for me.Desplat:Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Painted VeilAbel Korzeniowski:A Single Man. Such a beautiful, violin-rich score. Gives me chills every time.

I love A Beautiful Mind, but my favorite Horner is Apollo 13. Mask of Zorro is awesome. I'm actually not a big Desplat fan. Many of his scores don't resonate with me. Benjamin Button is terrific though.I've been waiting for Elfman to deliver a score that knocks me out. I admit I haven't listened to Real Steel but I read good things.

God where to begin. Film scores are my passion, far beyond anything else. I own around 500 score CDs.Elfman is my favourite. I remember seeing SM2 and noticing film music for the first time. Then I saw CATCF and I noticed the music again, same with Corpse Bride and TFTC. Then when I watched Army Of Darkness and didn't notice the score at all, apart from one section near the end which I loved, and surprise suprise when the credits rolled I discovered that Elfman wrote that one track I loved. Seven years later and I own pretty much every piece of music he's ever released and am driving three hours this weekend to attend a concert of some of his most famous works. I hate to be overly gushing but I can't downplay how much I love the man's music and how much sentimental value many of his scores have for me. If I could have one album to ever listen to it would be Edward Scissorhands.Then comes Goldsmith. Elfman may be my favourite but Jerry Goldsmith is undoubtedly the best. His ability to write such beautiful music for mostly a load of crap is unparalleled. Williams needs no introduction, Doyle is a personal favourite, Beltrami, Hermann, Morricone, North, Poledouris... too many to mention.Favourite per composerElfman - Edward ScissorhandsGoldsmith - RudyWilliams - Jurassic ParkDoyle - Much Ado About Nothing/Mary Shelly's FrankensteinBeltrami - Soul SurferHermann - VertigoNorth - SparticusPoledouris - Conan The Barbarian

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

I'd also like to add The Hours by Philip Glass to my list. Such a beautiful score that blends with the movie perfectly.

Funny you mentioned that today. I went to that Elfman concert tonight and they had a section for his biggest influences. We got a gorgeous suite from The Hours.The night was just fantastic overall. The highlight being the Main Titles to Mars Attacks! with a live thermin. Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

One of those things is not like the other, in that it's actually excellent stuff and not what's a current hot topic for nerdgasms.And that'd be the Daft Punk effort.

When I say I like Tron's score I mean almost exclusively "Overture" and "The Grid"

Murphy's work for Sunshine was great, the score saved the film's uneven final act.

The best TV show scores are for me without a doubt (Part 1 since the forum only allows 2 youtube videos a post):

Band of Brothers (Michael Kamen)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmdFmmyXlQk

Lost (Michael Giacchino)

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2NsTFgWmsQ

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1