FantasticBeasts

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

I know we are focusing on pre 2000 releases but I saw a handful of 21st century releases so I decided that since this one was lacking, it was worth adding it.

The first instalment of the series, an adaptation to the already best seller first book, came in American cinemas in the 4th of November of 2001.
It made $32.3 million on its opening day, breaking the single day record previously held by Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace. On the second day of release, it added another $33.5 million, breaking the record for biggest single day again. In total, it made $90.3 million during its first weekend, breaking the record for highest-opening weekend of all time that was previously held by The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
Of course the film went on to be a huge success overseas as well, with some of the most impressive markets being UK, with a gross of $84m and Japan where the film earned a whopping $152m.
The film ended up earning $974.8 million at the worldwide box office, $317.6 million of that in the US and $657.2 million elsewhere,which made it the second highest-grossing film in history at the time, as well as the year's highest-grossing film.
Estimations cannot be 100% accurate when we are talking about a 16 years gap, but the admissions little Harry spawned in 2001 should be equivalent to about $1.5b today, using today's ticket prices as well as exchange rates.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Wow, had no idea it made so much in Japan! I would have figured the UK would have been the biggest market. Extremely impressive run, Im honestly kind of surprised Warners Bros. never did a re release to get it over 1 billion. 

Harry Potter feanchise has always been huge in Japan. Franchise fatigue happened there but still even Fantastic Beasts did $70m there.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

This was one of the biggest OS runs ever. Probably bigger than recent TFA, Furious or JW, since it did not have 3D or China boost. To make $650m in 2001 is really astonishing. ER were way worse than now (Euro was weaker than Dollar, for example). Probably the only bigger OS films are both Cameron juggernauts and it is probably on par to Star Wars, E.T. and Jurassic Park (I can not measure Gone with the Wind or Snow White being so old films). I can not remember another one more impressive.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, peludo said:

This was one of the biggest OS runs ever. Probably bigger than recent TFA, Furious or JW, since it did not have 3D or China boost. To make $650m in 2001 is really astonishing. ER were way worse than now (Euro was weaker than Dollar, for example). Probably the only bigger OS films are both Cameron juggernauts and it is probably on par to Star Wars and E.T. (I can not measure Gone with the Wind or Snow White being so old films). I can not remember another one more impressive.

Maybe Lotr. Especially Return of the king should be veryyy impressive too.

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Maybe Lotr. Especially Return of the king should be veryyy impressive too.

ROTK was on par to FOTR in terms of admissions (TTT is a bit behind). ER were REALLY horrendous in 2001. And FOTR was released the same year than HP1, making $100m less.

LOTR was bigger in Europe for instance, but HP1 was bigger OS (mainly because Japan).

But yes, probably the 3 films (HP1, FOTR and ROTK, in this order) would adjust over 1 billion OS without China boost. We are talking about enormous monsters.

• Like 1

This was huge in India i still remember it was dubbed in several Indian Languages.

Later all the HP movies did well at the Indian BO. But yea the dubbed version fell but english version posted solid grosses to end up as a hit. 

Philosophers Stone particularly did very well in 6 Metro cities of India i still remember an article which mentioned what the distributors said about its humongous run in these areas.  

• Like 1

On 13/09/2017 at 10:54 AM, peludo said:

ROTK was on par to FOTR in terms of admissions (TTT is a bit behind). ER were REALLY horrendous in 2001. And FOTR was released the same year than HP1, making $100m less.

LOTR was bigger in Europe for instance, but HP1 was bigger OS (mainly because Japan).

But yes, probably the 3 films (HP1, FOTR and ROTK, in this order) would adjust over 1 billion OS without China boost. We are talking about enormous monsters.

I'm curious as to how you adjust for inflation with overseas numbers

On 7/10/2017 at 2:01 AM, Killimano3 said:

I'm curious as to how you adjust for inflation with overseas numbers

I try to get admissions figures of each country. European admissions (estimated) are:

Philosopher's Stone: 60.6 million admissions

FOTR61.3 million

ROTK54.7 million

To compare, the other OS monsters (over 1 billion OS. There are not data available about FF8). Admissions in Europe:

Titanic: 111.4 million admissions

Furious 7: 37.1 million

Jurassic World: 36.8 million

TFA63.2 million

And taking a look at other markets in places like here: http://www.insidekino.com/BO/Titanic.htm (biggest films in terms of admissions in many countries since Titanic).

It is a laborious work to look for admissions data for each market, but there are a lot of info over there.

And this asuming that we do not know what they would have done in China today (Hobbit 3 did $120m and Fantastic Beasts close to $100m, being spin-offs). All things considered (inflation and 3D), both HP1 and FOTR would be right now bordering the billion OS adjusting by inflation.

1 hour ago, peludo said:

I try to get admissions figures of each country. European admissions (estimated) are:

Philosopher's Stone: 60.6 million admissions

FOTR61.3 million

ROTK54.7 million

To compare, the other OS monsters (over 1 billion OS. There are not data available about FF8). Admissions in Europe:

Titanic: 111.4 million admissions

Furious 7: 37.1 million

Jurassic World: 36.8 million

TFA63.2 million

And taking a look at other markets in places like here: http://www.insidekino.com/BO/Titanic.htm (biggest films in terms of admissions in many countries since Titanic).

It is a laborious work to look for admissions data for each market, but there are a lot of info over there.

And this asuming that we do not know what they would have done in China today (Hobbit 3 did $120m and Fantastic Beasts close to $100m, being spin-offs). All things considered (inflation and 3D), both HP1 and FOTR would be right now bordering the billion OS adjusting by inflation.

Were did Avatar over perform that much in Europe to beat Philosopher's Stones Admissions count by 30M million?

France and Great Britain and probably in most smaller markets?

But Philosopher's Stone really was impressive, both Dom an OS.

In Germany it still holds the Opening Weekend Record with 2,590,464 admissions.

15 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Were did Avatar over perform that much in Europe to beat Philosopher's Stones Admissions count by 30M million?

France and Great Britain and probably in most smaller markets?

But Philosopher's Stone really was impressive, both Dom an OS.

In Germany it still holds the Opening Weekend Record with 2,590,464 admissions.

Your doubts are correct. The UK data for HP1 does not seem correct. I have 2 sources which say that HP1 sold 17.5 and 16 million admissions in UK, not 12 as Lumiere link says.

I can say that Avatar sold 3 million more admissions in Spain than HP1 (9.5 vs 6.3). And the main gap probably comes from Russia. Lumiere says that Avatar sold 10 million admissions there and data about HP1 seem wrong.

Probably, as older the film is, as more difficult is to get accurate numbers, mainly from some developing markets.

14 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

To put Philosopher's stone performance into perspective though you need to understand how much lots of markets have grown over the years in europe.

The numbers it pulled are definetely more impressive than TFA and even with Avatar it's discussable.

Agreed with TFA case, not so much with Avatar. What Avatar did everywhere was astonishing. There are maybe some markets where HP1 can compete with it, but in general, Avatar was bigger.

16 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

To put Philosopher's stone performance into perspective though you need to understand how much lots of markets have grown over the years in europe.

The numbers it pulled are definetely more impressive than TFA and even with Avatar it's discussable.

More impressive than TFA but definitely not Avatar... I'm surprised FOTR actually edged it out in admissions. 

2 minutes ago, peludo said:

Agreed with TFA case, not so much with Avatar. What Avatar did everywhere was astonishing. There are maybe some markets where HP1 can compete with it, but in general, Avatar was bigger.

1 minute ago, Jiffy said:

More impressive than TFA but definitely not Avatar... I'm surprised FOTR actually edged it out in admissions. 

I didn't talk about overseas in general obviously. Just Europe and even here I said it is "discussable".

I tend to agree that Avatar was bigger even in Europe but let me demonstrate a bit what I mean;

Russia -> $117m (!!!)/$2.5m (loool)

I am not saying that HP1 would have made the same amount in 2010s like Avatar did but from there alone there are some millions of admissions that it could have done more. I am sure the trend is the same in a lot of east european countries to a smaller extent.

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I didn't talk about overseas in general obviously. Just Europe and even here I said it is "discussable".

I tend to agree that Avatar was bigger even in Europe but let me demonstrate a bit what I mean;

Russia -> $117m (!!!)/$2.5m (loool)

I am not saying that HP1 would have made the same amount in 2010s like Avatar did but from there alone there are some millions of admissions that it could have done more. I am sure the trend is the same in a lot of east european countries to a smaller extent.

Sure, the Russian case is absurd. We do not have data about what HP1 did.

Looking at European markets (Insidekino), Avatar wins in the biggest markets, excepting Germany:

Country: Avatar vs HP1 vs FOTR (winner) - Numbers are million of admissions

Germany: 11.31 vs 12.57 vs 11.93 (HP1)

Austria: 1.17 vs 0.95 vs 1.02 (Avatar)

Switzerland: 1.18 vs 1.05 vs 0.90 (Avatar)

Denmark: 1.17 vs 0.86 vs 1.33 (FOTR)

Finland: 0.42 vs 0.52 vs 0.72 (FOTR)

Norway: 0.79 vs 0.85 vs 1.04 (FOTR)

Sweden: 1.48 vs 1.14 vs 1.95 (FOTR)

UK: 17.28 vs 15.97 vs 15.23 (Avatar)

Netherlands: 1.73 vs 2.18 vs 1.89 (HP1)

Belgium: 1.64 vs 1.80 vs 1.10 (HP1)

France: 14.78 vs 9.47 vs 6.95 (Avatar)

Italy: 7.52 vs 5.83 vs 4.62 (Avatar)

Spain: 9.54 vs 6.31 vs 7.04 (Avatar)

Czech Republic: 1.36 vs 0.78 vs 0.98 (Avatar)

Poland: 3.77 vs 2.52 vs 2.53 (Avatar)

TOTAL: 75.13 vs 62.83 vs 59.23

Among these 15 markets, Avatar won in 8, FOTR in 4 and HP1 in 3.

Avatar won in UK, France, Spain and Italy among the biggest and HP1 in Germany. FOTR won in Scandinavia.

The main difference comes from the combination of UK, France, Spain and Italy. Avatar (49.12) wins by 11.64 million to HP1 (37.58), and by 15.28 to FOTR (33.84). That is a huge difference to save.

What would had happened in Russia in 2001 with the same conditions than in 2009-2010? who knows...

• Like 2

On 9.1.2018 at 5:11 PM, peludo said:

Sure, the Russian case is absurd. We do not have data about what HP1 did.

Looking at European markets (Insidekino), Avatar wins in the biggest markets, excepting Germany:

Country: Avatar vs HP1 vs FOTR (winner) - Numbers are million of admissions

Germany: 11.31 vs 12.57 vs 11.93 (HP1)

Austria: 1.17 vs 0.95 vs 1.02 (Avatar)

Switzerland: 1.18 vs 1.05 vs 0.90 (Avatar)

Denmark: 1.17 vs 0.86 vs 1.33 (FOTR)

Finland: 0.42 vs 0.52 vs 0.72 (FOTR)

Norway: 0.79 vs 0.85 vs 1.04 (FOTR)

Sweden: 1.48 vs 1.14 vs 1.95 (FOTR)

UK: 17.28 vs 15.97 vs 15.23 (Avatar)

Netherlands: 1.73 vs 2.18 vs 1.89 (HP1)

Belgium: 1.64 vs 1.80 vs 1.10 (HP1)

France: 14.78 vs 9.47 vs 6.95 (Avatar)

Italy: 7.52 vs 5.83 vs 4.62 (Avatar)

Spain: 9.54 vs 6.31 vs 7.04 (Avatar)

Czech Republic: 1.36 vs 0.78 vs 0.98 (Avatar)

Poland: 3.77 vs 2.52 vs 2.53 (Avatar)

TOTAL: 75.13 vs 62.83 vs 59.23

Among these 15 markets, Avatar won in 8, FOTR in 4 and HP1 in 3.

Avatar won in UK, France, Spain and Italy among the biggest and HP1 in Germany. FOTR won in Scandinavia.

The main difference comes from the combination of UK, France, Spain and Italy. Avatar (49.12) wins by 11.64 million to HP1 (37.58), and by 15.28 to FOTR (33.84). That is a huge difference to save.

What would had happened in Russia in 2001 with the same conditions than in 2009-2010? who knows...

Thanks for that.

Good news for Harry Potter movie-fans. (myself included)

It looks like Box Office Mojo just recently updated the grosses of all the HP-movies to higher numbers:

Sorcerer’s Stone = 991M

Chamber of Secrets = $887M

Prisoner of Azkaban = $808M

Goblet of Fire = $904M

Order of the Phoenix = $950M

Half-Blood Prince = $942M

Deathly Hallows P1 = $988M

Deathly Hallows P2 = $1.370B

In case anyone didn’t notice.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/ww_top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW&ref_=bo_cso_ac

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Good news for Harry Potter movie-fans. (myself included)

It looks like Box Office Mojo just recently updated the grosses of all the HP-movies to higher numbers:

Sorcerer’s Stone = 991M

Chamber of Secrets = $887M

Prisoner of Azkaban = $808M

Goblet of Fire = $904M

Order of the Phoenix = $950M

Half-Blood Prince = $942M

Deathly Hallows P1 = $988M

Deathly Hallows P2 = $1.370B

In case anyone didn’t notice.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/ww_top_lifetime_gross/?area=XWW&ref_=bo_cso_ac

That's a mistake. They have entered the UK last weekend numbers and in doing so added the $65mn cume to the film as re-release, dividing $8mn and change to all films.