CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

Just now, Blankments said:

bro, I'm the biggest Lord/Miller stan and even I find this post moronic.

Larson is god-tier in ROOM, along with Tremblay (who gives the better performance of the two but still Brie kills it)

This. There's a reason she won the Oscar. And I don't see how you can compare that performance with that of a comedy movie love interest (and I loved her in that movie as well). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blankments said:

From last week's thread:

So, uhh.... they managed to top it... EMOJI and NUT JOB 2 :rofl:

My drive in's triple feature is Emoji Movie, Spider-Man, and Baby Driver.  At the beginning of the night you'll wanna die and at the end of the night you'll have found Jesus.

• Like 3

What's everyone thinking for next weekend? The Hitman's Bodyguard feels destined to land the mid-teens area but I can't get a read at all on Logan Lucky. Could easily see it landing in the mid-single digits area as much as I can see it landing around $10M.

Just now, That Floating Guy said:

My drive in's triple feature is Emoji Movie, Spider-Man, and Baby Driver.  At the beginning of the night you'll wanna die and at the end of the night you'll have found Jesus.

Smart playing the worst movie at the start. Although I guess you could just show up after it's over. 

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The OD will be bigger but the OW will be smaller than all of them.

Yea exactly, but still a bigger OD means there's at least some sort of increased upfront demand...

1 minute ago, That Floating Guy said:

But Baby Driver is the last movie, not Dunkirk.

5 hours ago, jking123 said:

Might be a silly question but will there be numbers available for the Imax screenings?

still bummed we never got numbers for the Lion King re-release btw

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think both will open in the $40M range.

Eh, I think Kingsman hits 50M. Think there's a ton buzz for it from those who liked the first one. My September/October predicts essentially decrease by 10M with every release lol

IT - 60M
Kingsman - 50M

Blade Runner - 40M

5 hours ago, a2knet said:

Is 23JS happening? It's not like Sony is too busy with other profitable franchises. Would be one of those 'why was a sequel never made' (looking at for you Austin Powers 4) scenarios if we don't get MIB 23.

Still think it'd be a great idea if Lord/Miller film it this fall for a summer release next year. Hill and Tatum would clear their schedules to help out their buddies after their firing.

Then again, Barbie probably fucks up when Sony would typically put it.

4 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I'm trying to decide between Annabelle movie (didn't see any of the other Conjuring/Anabelle movies), Glass Castle, or Big Sick for the weekend.

BIG SICK

(Havent' seen the other two, but Big Sick is really fucking great)

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What's everyone thinking for next weekend? The Hitman's Bodyguard feels destined to land the mid-teens area but I can't get a read at all on Logan Lucky. Could easily see it landing in the mid-single digits area as much as I can see it landing around $10M.

I think both will end up fairly close to each other: THB at 15M and Logan Lucky at 11M. The former will benefit from being in 600 more theaters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Annabelle will probably drop to 15-16M (legs will start to show up in weeks 3 and 4 when there's no competition). 

Hitman's Bodyguard I think has a shot at mid-20's. Logan Lucky will do well in a lot of flyover states, but not enough to crack 15M.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So if Annabelle actually hits 17M for Friday, that would be the biggest OD for any TCU movie to date.

Im just curious, how did this happen? The sequel to the poorly received spin-off potentially beating the first 2 well liked films?

Less competition. The month of August is a barren wasteland.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

JL thread is indefinitely closed while the staff discusses how best to proceed.

IDK if you're asking for thoughts but I highly support it getting re-opened at some points. I don't want to join a club in order to discuss one of the year's biggest releases, and although that doesn't bother me now, I'm sure in November I'll definitely be popping in there a lot before release even if I'm not a DC superfan.

• Like 2

20M+ OWs for the rest of the year:

Star Wars: 240M

JL: 150M

Thor: 140M

It: 65M
Kingsman: 60M

Coco: 45M

Bad Moms: 40M

Blade Runner: 40M

mother!: 35M

Pitch Perfect: 35M

Daddy's Home: 30M

Orient Express: 30M

Jumanji: 25M

Ninjago: 25M

American Made: 20M

Happy Death Day: 20M

Jigsaw: 20M

My Little Pony: 20M

Suburbicon: 20M

TYLER PERRY'S BOO 2! A MADEA HALLOWEEN: 20M

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

20M+ OWs for the rest of the year:

Star Wars: 240M

JL: 150M

Thor: 140M

It: 65M
Kingsman: 60M

Coco: 45M

Bad Moms: 40M

Blade Runner: 40M

mother!: 35M

Pitch Perfect: 35M

Daddy's Home: 30M

Orient Express: 30M

Jumanji: 25M

Ninjago: 25M

American Made: 20M

Happy Death Day: 20M

Jigsaw: 20M

My Little Pony: 20M

Suburbicon: 20M

Thor's jump is higher than GV1 to GV2, and is very unlikely

mother is more likely to end with $35M than open to it.

Kingsman is touching $55M at most

Ninjago seems likely for $30M-$35M

Everything else is solid though.

• Like 1