Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen - Y1

9 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Hey if Year 1 has proven anything it is at least my studio has the guts to tackle controversial material. Year 2 will be the same with Poison and Wine 2, UnHoly, and Christian. I expect all three to get mixed reviews but fuck it

Go for it, mate. I'd love to see you try giving another film like this a shot.

10 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Hey if Year 1 has proven anything it is at least my studio has the guts to tackle controversial material. Year 2 will be the same with Poison and Wine 2, UnHoly, and Christian. I expect all three to get mixed reviews but fuck it

P&W2 will probably be better received as long as it isn't 2 1/2 hours long.

SEPTEMBER

Don't Go Outside - :gold:

I'm so sick of titles like this. They cynically make the same horror movie over and over again and hope audiences are too dumb to catch on. Not me.

The Little Engine that Could - :apocalypse:

Even if the two parallel stories don't sync perfectly well, it's still an amusing ride for kids that adults may enjoy too.

The Rider - :apocalypse:

Fuck it, I enjoyed this one. Featuring fun action scenes and good performances, it's by no means amazing but it's better than your run of the mill action flick.

No Surrender - :kitschjob:

A few fun and well directed lacrosse sequences can't shake this being a generic sports drama with a gimmick.

Sea of Heroes - :kitschjob:

A boring, cookie-cutter drama with a nice helping of white savior complex. Zemeckis, you're better than this.

The Executioner - :kitschjob:

Is September just the month of Generic? I like Statham, but this feels destined for gas station bargain bins in the next few years.

River of Death - :kitschjob:

Reading the plot, the film didn't seen bad, aside from the silly third-act twist, but it was directed by JOHN LANDIS? and TWO POINT FIVE HOURS LONG? What the hell?!?!

Seduction - :wintf:

This, on the other hand, was just a mess all of the way through. Skip it.

@Xillix gotta go have lunch but SWAT Kats and White Hurricane reviews will come in the next two hours.

SEPTEMBER: PART 2

SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron - :apocalypse:

I think the movie could have benefitted from having a bigger budget, as well as having some more time to develop these fun characters. I imagine that 10-year old me would have adored this movie to death, however, and it's got the same 80s-cartoon feel that actually keeps its animation roots. It gives this title a unique edge to all of the 80s reboots this year, and I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit, even if it never breaks the mold of becoming a truly great animated film.

White Hurricane - :sparta:

First off - how the flying fuck is Chris Hemsworth the son of Christian Bale?! If his wife is Sandra Bullock, that would translate to Hemsworth being born when Bullock was 19 and Bale was 9. Uhhh........someone call child protective services. I think this is one example of the script being clunky, aside from some awkward encounters in the first 30 minutes and the mildly soapy second act. The climax takes an interesting route of shifting the question to whether or not the men will survive to whether Betty can deliver her child. Thus, the ending is bleak, but we are left with a ray of hope. The juxtaposition of the unity of the wives vs. the arrogance and butting heads of the sailors also creates a semi-feminist message. It's got a few problems, but it's an ambitious and exciting adventure with some truly spectacular cinematography and effects. A very well done film.

• Haha 1

OCTOBER

Stacie - :wintf:

Plagiarized or not, it's undeniably a dull film you've seen countless times before.

The Haunting in Wisconsin - :wintf:

Sam Raimi....oh, how the mighty have fallen. It seemed at first like this could be another horror dark-comedy, but it's just dull and predictable, not to mention mind numbingly idiotic at times. It's fun at times, but I definitely expected better.

The Secret Searchers - :kitschjob:

It's a fun premise, but it feels like our heroes are simply trying to sabotage their careers for something that should have been obvious. If you can get past this, it's a fun ride with some good laughs.

America -  :apocalypse:

A solid message of preserving the natural beauty of America in the age of Trump, along with some lovely cinematography.

A Family of Families - :kitschjob:

Strictly for Christians, but at least it doesn't have the audacity to claim that anyone who isn't Christian is an evil, vile hag. Looking at you, God's Not Dead.

Life is Strange - :insane:

It's mindbending, magical, and strange. In ALL of the best ways. The story of the game doesn't quite translate perfectly to the screen, but there's not denying that this is a truly special and exciting movie, not to mention an ambitious and well crafted one. I knew from Safety Not Guaranteed that Trevorrow just needed a good script to run with, and now he finally has one. The ending will take a lot of watches to understand, but the exciting and thought provoking tale presented here is undoubtedly one that I'm excited to keep returning to. Wonderful job, @ChD.

Bad Cop - :kitschjob:

I like the idea of a cop villain, but the movie is ultimately pretty dull and blah.

Kelsey Came Home - :apocalypse:

Maybe I'm just sick of horror and my standards are super low, but honestly, this wasn't a bad effort. The interesting premise does veer towards the generic route, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a good bit of it. 

Trump's America - :kitschjob:

I miss the days where Michael Moore was an interesting filmmaker. Here, it feels like he's preaching to the choir and not really saying anything that isn't well known.

NOVEMBER

The Damsel - :apocalypse:

The plot, especially as it moves forward, requires a good bit of suspension of disbelief, but it's still a decent pick for date night, even if you won't remember much of it later.

Love at First Sight -:apocalypse:

It's a fairly solidly made romantic film, especially in giving spotlight to the LGBT community, but as a whole, you're probably better off watching the film that inspired it. It's got good performances, but does fall a bit into melodrama at times.

Project Classified - :kitschjob:

It's almost woefully predictable, with the villain being obvious as soon as he enters, also sporting half-assed commentary on technology and environmentalism and a scenery-devouring performance from Linda Hamilton.

Hidden World - :apocalypse:

A heavily flayed, yet undeniably fascinating tale. Tom Holland gives a capable lead performance, and the production design is truly spectacular. However, the plot gets a bit too overzealous and unruly in good time, but it's still a situation where you're intrigued to see where it goes next. Definitely one of the more fascinating titles of the year, loaded with dazzling visuals and fascinating ideas, even if it doesn't completely work.

The Whale - :kitschjob:

Adapting Moby Dick to modern times seems like an interesting concept, but it feels more like a cliff-notes version of the book than a unique spin or commentary on it. It's also a bit strange to keep the antiquated industries and names in it, but oh well. 

Amulet - :sparta:

I loved this book as a kid, and I loved Alpha's version of this in Y1, virtually unchanged aside from a new director, bigger budget, and cast. I think it's a bit overstuffed, but it's a fun, exciting world full of excitement and wonderful new characters. Joe Bang wouldn't approve of the new casting, though.

Pandemic - :kitschjob:

Contagion already did this movie perfectly - this feels kind of redundant and inferior. It also feels like it cuts out 20 minutes earlier that it should.

• Thanks 1

DECEMBER: PART 1

Cold as the Void - :kitschjob:

Careful, Hiccup, Xillix has been making horror films RUTHLESSLY this year.

The Truth of the Harry Quebert Affair - :sparta:

Even if it isn't as rich as it could have been, The Truth of the Harry Quebert affair definitely is a promising start to a new studio. It's an entrancing mystery with fantastic performances, especially by Gosling, and a deliciously puzzling - and never boring - plotline. It can be a lot to keep track of, but there's some promising film making that rewards focus and open-mindedness. A very good time at the movies.

Extreme Dinosaurs - :apocalypse:

Alien lizards? Gotta use this as a joke in Spark Rising 2. I'm a bit tired of adaptions of cartoons made in the late 20th century (and I think that these and horror films make up 80% of @Xillix's filmography), but they are definitely pretty fun to watch. This one, especially.

Faces and Voices - :sparta:

On one hand, it's basically the Oscar-tailored biopic that I usually roll my eyes at, but F. Gary Gray's capable direction, along with a wonderful ensemble of performances, is enough to make this title an actually interesting and fun watch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Extreme Dinosaurs - 

Alien lizards? Gotta use this as a joke in Spark Rising 2. I'm a bit tired of adaptions of cartoons made in the late 20th century (and I think that these and horror films make up 80% of @Xillix's filmography), but they are definitely pretty fun to watch. This one, especially.

48.5% actually!

DECEMBER - PART 2

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - :sparta:

The animated movie is probably my favorite of Disney's Renaissance films, if not their entire animated canon. I think this a really good adaptation that doesn't mess up the tones (The Jungle Book) nor superfluous new content (Beauty and the Beast). The live action film does have a lot of the same plotting, but with some big changes, mostly for the better. It was a bit disappointing not having God Help The Outcasts in here, but I understand the reasoning for it. And that's not even mentioning how spectacular this film is from a visual standpoint. Wow. The addition of the Louis XI character also gives the film a unique parallel to today's politics, and thank fucking god the Gargoyles have less to do here. It's a truly wonderful film.

ReBoot - :sparta:

A fun, digital adventure that captures the spirit of the show and actually does a fun job exploring acting as the Inside Out of the Digital Age, unlike the Sony Animation movie that must not be named. Tsk tsk.

Tubular - :kitschjob:

This formulaic movie isn't.

When Winter Comes - :apocalypse:

A mildly enjoyable and intriguing psychological horror flick, one that will keep you guessing, but maybe has a too generic villain. 

Touching Spirit Bear - :apocalypse:

I think it's ultimately an interesting interplay of stories of survival, redemption, and justice, but it's missing that extra OOMPH to really take it over the line for me. Sheridan gives a good performance, but his characters feels one note and unsympathetic for the film, even as the film tries to make him anything but that. I think there was a really strong movie in here, but I think it just needed some more substance and nuance to really get it to the finish line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1