WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, YourMother said:

L&M work the best in animation. Maybe they should do more features out of Lord/Miller Productions or be involved in a brain trust.

Ok just because they made one really great animated film doesn't mean they should stick to animation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trailers for this got worse after each one. Jumanji will likely be the big family film.

Nope, it will be like 2015 and Star Wars 8 will be the big family film, and everything else will be picking up scraps...I mean, you see moms saying "Kids, let's go see Jumanji?"  

• Like 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Ok just because they made one really great animated film doesn't mean they should stick to animation.

2. Cloudy 1 and TLM, I'm not staying stick to it, I'm a huge Lord/Miller fan and would see anything with them involved. My guess their next movie will be Flashpoint.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nope, it will be like 2015 and Star Wars 8 will be the big family film, and everything else will be picking up scraps...I mean, you see moms saying "Kids, let's go see Jumanji?"  

No but I did see teen girls going "I can't wait to see Jumanji!" one time. So clearly Jumanji has something going for it.

2. Cloudy 1 and TLM, I'm not staying stick to it, I'm a huge Lord/Miller fan and would see anything with them involved. My guess their next movie will be Flashpoint.

I can't imagine Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was that great. The trailers made it seem very much for kids only. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Jumanji has a lot of nostalgia and the trailers get good reactions from what I've seen.

• Like 1

No but I did see teen girls going "I can't wait to see Jumanji!" one time. So clearly Jumanji has something going for it.

I can't imagine Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was that great. The trailers made it seem very much for kids only. 

Not my teen girls...that must be a special case:)...

If you haven't seen Cloudy, you should - A- movie - surprisingly so...

The first one was really great, I'd recommend it, the second one not so much but that was likely because Lord/Miller weren't directing.

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Daddy's Home basically acted as the alternative choice for families that were either sold out or had seen The Force Awakens (since there wasn't much of an alternative: Sisters was rated R, Concussion was too depressing, Joy had the stench of "failed awards bait" all over it, nobody cared about a Point Break remake, etc.), and this year's crop looks similarly limited in appeal (Pitch Perfect 3 will only appeal to fans of the previous films and will likely see a big falloff from the second, The Greatest Showman will probably be PG but will mostly appeal to an older crowd, and Downsizing will aim for adults only). There's definitely potential for Jumanji.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Daddy's Home basically acted as the alternative choice for families that were either sold out or had seen The Force Awakens (since there wasn't much of an alternative: Sisters was rated R, Concussion was too depressing, Joy had the stench of "failed awards bait" all over it, nobody cared about a Point Break remake, etc.), and this year's crop looks similarly limited in appeal (Pitch Perfect 3 will only appeal to fans of the previous films and will likely see a big falloff from the second, The Greatest Showman will probably be PG but will mostly appeal to an older crowd, and Downsizing will aim for adults only). There's definitely potential for Jumanji.

Daddy's Home got to $150M...so you're looking at that as the peak number...and that only played against Alvin 4 and a mop movie...no supers movie taking fans, no Pixar movie still popular, nothing else...

Now, you'll have Justice League remnants, Coco remnants (which I don't think will be much), an original animation (Ferdinand) and Jumanji to take the "2nd place over Christmas" family spot...they'll all take parts, so those Dec releases just won't have much BO they can grab...

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Downsizing and Greatest Showman look like flops waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Daddy's Home got to $150M...so you're looking at that as the peak number...and that only played against Alvin 4 and a mop movie...no supers movie taking fans, no Pixar movie still popular, nothing else...

Now, you'll have Justice League remnants, Coco remnants (which I don't think will be much), an original animation (Ferdinand) and Jumanji to take the "2nd place over Christmas" family spot...they'll all take parts, so those Dec releases just won't have much BO they can grab...

Yeah, but Justice League and Coco likely be down to 2 shows at most places by the time the Christmas avalanche comes along (in addition to the aforementioned films, we'll also have expanding awards players like Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, and The Shape of Water all fighting for theater space too). Ferdinand and Jumanji are bigger threats to each other, but they can easily co-exist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, but Justice League and Coco likely be down to 2 shows at most places by the time the Christmas avalanche comes along (in addition to the aforementioned films, we'll also have expanding awards players like Call Me by Your Name, Darkest Hour, and The Shape of Water all fighting for theater space too). Ferdinand and Jumanji are bigger threats to each other, but they can easily co-exist.

Hell due to the amount JL and Coco might lose a sizeable amount of theaters too.

• Like 1

Ferdinand will likely appeal to the under 10 crowd and do Road Chip Numbers. The trailers for this suck. I went from this seems cute from the first to this looks like shit from the recent one.

• Like 1

I wonder how Oscar players will expand over November and December. These are their releases dates right now (all are limited unless noted):

Lady Bird: Limited on November 3, Wide on Thanksgiving

Last Flag Flying: November 3

Three Billboards: November 10

Call Me By Your Name: Thanksgiving

Darkest Hour: Thanksgiving

Wonder Wheel: December 1

Shape of Water: December 8

The Papers: Limited on Christmas, Wide on January 12

I can see Three Billboards and LFF going wide between Thanksgiving and Star Wars as the only wide releases then are Polaroid, The Disaster Artist, and Just Getting Started. Darkest Hour will probably hover around 500-600 theaters throughout the holiday and go really wide when nominees come out, and CMBYN and Wonder Wheel probably will wait until nominations too. I imagine Shape of Water will probably go wide on the first weekend of January like Black Swan did.

• Like 1