Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

If Apple pulls out again it will sting big time. Last time Musk threatened go nuclear when Apple paused their ads. 

Thing is Musk is getting more and more outrageous by the week. It almost like he wants to drive away majot advertisers.

Hilarious thing is almost everyone i know who says twitter is evil uses Tik Tok like crazy.

Which to me makes them massive hypocrites.

Tik Tok just had a trend gettings tens of millions of views of zoomers praising 9/11 and Bin Laden. That app is also a massive dumpster fire as well.

https://time.com/6336280/osama-bin-laden-letter-to-america-tiktok/

I just only use instagram. Its offensive and a mess but seems to be the least worst of Tik Tok and Twitter rn. 

I know you guys dont believe it but I think Tik Tok is a massive psych op to make our young people usless. 

Edited by Torontofan

19 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

If Apple pulls out again it will sting big time. Last time Musk threatened go nuclear when Apple paused their ads. 

Edited by Porthos
Wrong tweet embedded for some reason
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Hilarious thing is almost everyone i know who says twitter is evil uses Tik Tok like crazy.

Tik Tok just had a trend gettings tens of millions of views of zoomers praising 9/11 and Bin Laden. That app is also a massive dumpster fire as well.

I just only use instagram. Its offensive and a mess but seems to be the least worst of Tik Tok and Twitter rn. 

I know you guys dont believe it but I think Tik Tok is a massive psych op to make our young people usless. 

If the tik tok founder has gone bananas like Musk has then we can talk. Plus tik tok is not a news site. its just a short form video. There are huge concerns around this algos pushing content to kids that lead to depression. But Twitter is striaght out horrible. Its time for either Musk to go or platform to die. Neither is going to happen in the short term and so it will be slow death of the platform in terms of losing advertisers. 

57 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Oh I think TikTok is just as bad, if only coz it mixes the worst aspects of YT and Twitter and Twitch in short blipvert* intervals.

* Ask your (nerdy) grandparents

Funny story about that though.  The OBL/TikTok thing didn't really take off until bozos on Twitter started dunking on the trend commenting about it:

Other folks have chipped in with their analysis of the trends, but this is good enough as an example.

Wouldn't be the first time that "small random bozos talk about something on OTHER platform" gets blown up because of folks commenting about it on somewhere other than the original discussion area.  Happens all of the time with Legacy/traditional media talking about a small handful of random bozos on Twitter as if it was A Great Societal Trend.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh I think TikTok is just as bad, if only coz it mixes the worst aspects of YT and Twitter and Twitch in short blipvert* intervals.

* Ask your (nerdy) grandparents

Funny story about that though.  The OBL/TikTok thing didn't really take off until bozos on Twitter started dunking on the trend commenting about it:

Other folks have chipped in with their analysis of the trends, but this is good enough as an example.

Wouldn't be the first time that "small random bozos talk about something on OTHER platform" gets blown up because of folks commenting about it on somewhere other than the original discussion area.  Happens all of the time with Legacy/traditional media talking about a small handful of random bozos on Twitter as if it was A Great Societal Trend.

Liberals in america defending tik tok that it is not that bad hilarious... and then use twitter to push that message. 

It shows Twitter for all its faults has to much of an ingrained hold on media and political types to go away. If they go on IG and Tik tok they be drowned out by someone shaking thier ass. 

Edited by Torontofan

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

If the tik tok founder has gone bananas like Musk has then we can talk. Plus tik tok is not a news site. its just a short form video. There are huge concerns around this algos pushing content to kids that lead to depression. But Twitter is striaght out horrible. Its time for either Musk to go or platform to die. Neither is going to happen in the short term and so it will be slow death of the platform in terms of losing advertisers. 

Tik tok content is much more harmful then unhinged tweets to society in 2023. 

Just cause Tik tok is run by a boring corporate chinese board does not mean its not bad or evil. 

It shows to me people have the thinking skills of a child and just are attracted to shiny objects and ignore everything else. (Shiny object being Musk).

My point Yeah Musk is bad but we need to focus on all social media then Think Twitter is the third Anti Christ. 

Edited by Torontofan

On the other hand, Twitter is never going anywhere as long as we keep getting Free Comedy Gold like this:

Gonna tag @BoxOfficeFangrl  here (as if she didn't already see it, probably) as it is directly in her wheelhouse of Social Media Age Discourse.

Even starts with the classic "Can We Talk" preamble!  Near Chef Kiss perfect in execution!!!

(Of course, the Duality/Mixed Feelings about Twitter Usage is ALSO on display in Katie's next tweet in the chain.... which also says something about the highly dysfunctional nature of Current Twitter)

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

On the other hand, Twitter is never going anywhere as long as we keep getting Free Comedy Gold like this:

Gonna tag @BoxOfficeFangrl  here (as if she didn't already see it, probably) as it is directly in her wheelhouse of Social Media Age Discourse.

Even starts with the classic "Can We Talk" preamble!  Near Chef Kiss perfect in execution!!!

(Of course, the Duality/Mixed Feelings about Twitter Usage is ALSO on display in Katie's next tweet in the chain.... which also says something about the highly dysfunctional nature of Current Twitter)

I love how forever online virgins keep gatekeeping peoples relationships.

lol 

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That tweet is thankfully a joke (they're really committed to the bit), but someone there did seriously try to argue they were troubled by Taylor befriending Sophie Tumer because it was an older person taking advantage of someone younger at a difficult time in their lives. Even friendships can have problematic age gaps now, lmao...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Lionsgates is pulling all advertising from X,and Musk anti semitic rant is being almost universary blasted.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Real problem I have with Tik Tok is that it seeems be pretty much controlled by the Chinese Government; a lot of the "private" companies owning stock in Tik Tok are just CCP fronts.

But a major problem is too many young people don't even know they are being fooled and manipulated.

On the Musk front, Lionsgate just pulled all ads from X over Musk's antisemtic remarks, and the flood of anti semitic and terorist progaganda flooding X.

Musk is getttinh  abolute hell over his latest remakrs, even some on the right who have been sort of apologists for Musk are now running away from him.

Some in Congress are calling for a probe into how much power Musk has over the US Space Program because of NASA contracts with Space X. if Musk get called before a congressional commitee it is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Musk might be going into pariah territory.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

On the Musk front, Lionsgate just pulled all ads from X over Musk's antisemtic remarks, and the flood of anti semitic and terorist progaganda flooding X.

Musk is getttinh  abolute hell over his latest remakrs, even some on the right who have been sort of apologists for Musk are now running away from him.

Some in Congress are calling for a probe into how much power Musk has over the US Space Program because of NASA contracts with Space X. if Musk get called before a congressional commitee it is going to be interesting, to say the least.

Musk might be going into pariah territory.

As much as I would wish it, too many people still addicted to Twitter.  As well as the vast majority of the user base not being part of (Left/Center) Political Twitter or Financial Twitter, where most of the fallout of this is occurring.

What it does do is add another piece of straw to the camel's back (or bale of hay in this case as I said a couple of days ago).

Sooner or later, all of those straws add up.  How the camel's back actually breaks is the real question.  Being the majority owner of Twitter does have its advantages here for Musk as it makes it difficult to throw him overboard for harming the value of the brand. 

That being said, ad revenue is a major hot button issue for Elon Musk and so I expect him to direct his ire at Apple relatively soon (especially since he isn't fond of Apple in the first place).  But I still think the death knells will only sound when Sports/Entertainment/Other Pop Culture Influencers/Big Names publicly flounce off and go somewhere else and stay off

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As much as I would wish it, too many people still addicted to Twitter.  As well as the vast majority of the user base not being part of (Left/Center) Political Twitter or Financial Twitter, where most of the fallout of this is occurring.

What it does do is add another piece of straw to the camel's back (or bale of hay in this case as I said a couple of days ago).

Sooner or later, all of those straws add up.  How the camel's back actually breaks is the real question.  Being the majority owner of Twitter does have its advantages here for Musk as it makes it difficult to throw him overboard for harming the value of the brand. 

That being said, ad revenue is a major hot button issue for Elon Musk and so I expect him to direct his ire at Apple relatively soon (especially since he isn't fond of Apple in the first place).  But I still think the death knells will only sound when Sports/Entertainment/Other Pop Culture Influencers/Big Names publicly flounce off and go somewhere else and stay off

What Musk shouuld be concerned about is his behavior is causing a lot of politicans to question how deeply he is involved with the US Space Program.

One last thing.

After thinking about it a bit, while I understand where @Torontofan is coming from with his critique of TikTok, I don't think there's actually that many people defending it on Twitter/elsewhere.  Oh, some to be sure.  But I do think there is still residual hostility toward TikTok so I don't think the hypocrisy accusation really sticks.

Where I do think it is much better placed is in the sudden embrace of Former Public Enemy Number One, Mark Zuckerberg and his Threads project/Twitter alternative.  Touched on this a while ago in this thread, but *I* certainly haven't forgotten Why Everybody Hated Zuck during the Trump years.  Not to get too political, but I certainly remember the charges of political interference and spreading misinformation, as well as how Facebook perhaps facilitated mass killings in Myanmar.

Plus, you know, his atrocious record when it comes to privacy.

But this post isn't to point fingers at folks suddenly pivoting to Zuck, as it really isn't that productive, plus I ain't really in the mood for that discussion.  And there is something to be said about choosing lesser of two evils/Zuck already has all my info, so "eh".

No... It's more to point out that ALL ELON MUSK HAS TO DO TO "REHABILITATE" HIS IMAGE IS TO... JUST. STOP. POSTING. SO GODDAMN MUCH.

I am convinced that one of the reasons why Threads has taken off, to the relative degree that it has, is because Zuck doesn't constantly poke folks in the eyes with provocations.  It's not so much that there's a New Shiny Object for folks to hate on (though there is that), as in Zuck learned a lesson a while back about how provoking your own user base might be a tad counterproductive.

I don't actually think Facebook is all that much better than it was from around '17 to '21 or so when most of the shit was rained down on it and the Delete Facebook movement was at its height.  Probably more or less the same, but I haven't bothered to really look into it.  What I do think is happening is that Zuck isn't going out of his way to antagonize folks, and that if someone just took Elon Musk's smartphone away from him, a ton of his problems would go away.

Not all of them as there are real structural problems facing Twitter.  But Elon wanting to be Shit Poster In Chief has some... deleterious effects on his company. 

• Like 2

My Tinfoil Hat Feelings on Social Media Apps

Twitter: Owned by a crazy guy who is unhinged

Tik Tok; Chinese Owned Psy Op against the West to turn their youth against them ( XD)

Instagram: A wild and crazy place but dont feel there is some evil intention apart from making money.