Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, Telehilation said:

I don’t agree with that at all. To me the whole movie feels like an accidental statement of white privilege without the slightest sense of self-awareness about it. And that’s putting aside what I think are some very poorly constructed story elements. 

(Don’t intend to take this into a political derailing, sorry)

I can get structural complaints (the last half hour or so work fine for me but it's easy to see how it doesn't for others), but I've yet to see a convincing argument on the racism front. Dixon is basically a southern stereotype throughout the film without much redemption. As the article says, he's never treated as someone that deserves the audience's respect and admiration 

Really wanting to drop Stats because this new teacher is just awful. But it's well past the drop date without academic penalty, and our prof switch occurred right before the drop date, so we didn't even get this new prof until the drop date. 

So it's like... how was I supposed to know that this prof would be so bad so I could just not take the course. I seriously have no clue what's going on in that class anymore. Lecture notes from the course administrator used to be available online, but she has since taken them down and replaced them with her slideshows which are just awful because they are just examples from the textbook which she tells us the answers to in class. Literally, that's all the class is is her reading a word problem, then looking at her sheet and giving us a number that is the answer and moving on, without any explanation for what the question even means or how we get that answer. fuckkkkkkkkkkk

• Sad 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Really wanting to drop Stats because this new teacher is just awful. But it's well past the drop date without academic penalty, and our prof switch occurred right before the drop date, so we didn't even get this new prof until the drop date. 

So it's like... how was I supposed to know that this prof would be so bad so I could just not take the course. I seriously have no clue what's going on in that class anymore. Lecture notes from the course administrator used to be available online, but she has since taken them down and replaced them with her slideshows which are just awful because they are just examples from the textbook which she tells us the answers to in class. Literally, that's all the class is is her reading a word problem, then looking at her sheet and giving us a number that is the answer and moving on, without any explanation for what the question even means or how we get that answer. fuckkkkkkkkkkk

By academic penalty, do you mean getting a W or not being able to do anything? If it's the former, just withdraw and take it again next semester. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I can get structural complaints (the last half hour or so work fine for me but it's easy to see how it doesn't for others), but I've yet to see a convincing argument on the racism front. Dixon is basically a southern stereotype throughout the film without much redemption. As the article says, he's never treated as someone that deserves the audience's respect and admiration 

The racism front is the unacknowledgement of either Dixon nor McDormand’s characters facing the slightest issues with their actions. There’s also the problem that they both become the de facto hero/heroine co-protagonists in the last third. There’s been fifty years of revenge-fantasy movies and this one doesn’t distinguish itself in any meaningful way to comment on the subject. 

The script issues are conveniently introducing *another* rapist with the same MO (would be a stretch even in a large city, let alone a small town — even if he was just a visitor — but not just introducing him, making him so ridiculously stupid and one-dimensional that he brags — in a bar! In public! — about raping and killing a girl. That’s a hamfisted element to say the least, and having him show up basically just to have the plot twist that he *isn’t* the rapist in question is just idiotic on every level. 

There’s a ton of other issues — the scene between McDormand and her daughter is so forced it feels like it’s an after school special — the “edgy” cursing that feels more like they're Brits than anything else — the entire movie feels like it was made by aliens who’ve been studying America and think they’ve got it down only to make something that’s hideously Uncanny Valley. 

In short; the actors try hard. That’s the best I’ll say about it. 

• Like 1