Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Have to admit, I did think of you when I saw that tweet a few minutes ago.

I have a small and negligible role in the history of Twitter. If in the 2014-15 time you ever read the Twitter privacy policy, then you read something I developed (with my team of course).

I was a contractor to them for 3 months back in 14-15. Was a fun office, free food for everyone in their cafeteria and people were friendly. 

Right now I'm sure the only employees left are the ones on Visas, and I'm also very sure Elon will decide he isn't spending money on Visa renewals next week.

It's saddening and maddening that no human element is even taken into consideration in all this nonsense he is trying to pull. These are real people with real lives who just wanted to build the best social network possible.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

And a couple of excerpts of a thread well worth reading:

When did "Be kind" stop being a good thing? It's like there's no kindness and humanity left in a lot of companies.

Back in 2016, I was laid off as part of a restructuring. A partner who I had worked with almost exclusively for 7 years was tasked with telling me I was being let go. He called up HR, told me, said HR will let me know next steps and then left. When I was done talking to HR, he was nowhere to be found. This was a guy who had stopped me from quitting 6 months before that moment by saying he would advocate for my promotion that year. And in the one moment when I could have used a friendly face, he was halfway gone to his home most likely.

I'm not expecting companies to have loyalty, I've evolved far beyond that point, but expecting some kind of human sentiment from a person you worked with for almost a decade would not have been too much to ask. I still haven't forgiven him for that, I'm okay with him laying me off, someone had to deliver the message, but to this day I haven't been able to get over him just running away.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

When did "Be kind" stop being a good thing? It's like there's no kindness and humanity left in a lot of companies.

Back in 2016, I was laid off as part of a restructuring. A partner who I had worked with almost exclusively for 7 years was tasked with telling me I was being let go. He called up HR, told me, said HR will let me know next steps and then left. When I was done talking to HR, he was nowhere to be found. This was a guy who had stopped me from quitting 6 months before that moment by saying he would advocate for my promotion that year. And in the one moment when I could have used a friendly face, he was halfway gone to his home most likely.

I'm not expecting companies to have loyalty, I've evolved far beyond that point, but expecting some kind of human sentiment from a person you worked with for almost a decade would not have been too much to ask. I still haven't forgiven him for that, I'm okay with him laying me off, someone had to deliver the message, but to this day I haven't been able to get over him just running away.

Agreed. This is not just an Elon Musk thing. None of them give a shit about the worker. I've learned this lesson a number of ways throughout my working life.

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Never forget: capitalism will kill us faster than the virus will.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Agreed. This is not just an Elon Musk thing. None of them give a shit about the worker. I've learned this lesson a number of ways throughout my working life.

This is going to sound very corny but it did make me completely recalibrate expectations. That partner pretty much running out on me just changed my entire perspective on work and made the weekends and long hours I had worked prior to that to help him meet his targets pretty much useless. I like my current coworkers a lot, but I have zero illusions that they won't be just as cold if a layoff situation happened again.

It's also why I clearly decided to prioritize the rest of my life over work at that moment. I now have calendar blocks and refuse to have meetings at school pickup time. I refuse to miss my daughter's school dances, assembly performances and soccer games. I switch off my laptop promptly at 5, if I have work pending I get to it after 9pm when my kids have gone to bed.

• Like 9