Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

21 hours ago, The GOAT said:

The Gallup breakdown is really fascinating. The conclusions were that more of them might be using pot instead, they worry that even moderate drinking might not be healthy, but the biggest thing was that more 18-34 year olds in the US now aren't White compared to the past. Across all ages, people of color have lower reported drinking rates.

About older generations, there was this:

• Baby boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) have consistently been more likely to drink alcohol than the Silent Generation (born before 1946).
  • Baby boomers’ drinking rate has been fairly steady over the past two decades, near 65%, but as they replace the Silent Generation as America’s oldest age group, the drinking rate among older adults has increased.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

I'm baffled at how much older the star singers looked back then compared to the modern generation.

Lead in gasoline, poor air quality, lower quality food, bunch of other factors, plus self-selecting societal pressure to younger looking/nicer looking stars all add up.

(more cosmetic surgery too, if we're being honest)

The famous example being Wilford Brimley only 50 years old in Cocoon, but, really just take a look at any TV show from the 70s to early 80s and you'll see a marked difference in the look of the stars.  Two of my go-to examples are the classic version of One Day at a Time (especially the leads):

MV5BMTk3MzAwMTQ3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjMw

and Barney Miller:

barney-miller-cast_3441.jpgu5dzx9t872p81.jpg

====

Honestly, IMO, it's mostly self-selecting pressure/feedback loop to more conventionally attractive/younger looking men and women.  Trend probably started in the 70s for the younger actors and really accelerated in the 80s.  By the time the 90s hit in was in full swing up and down the age/talent spectrum.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Morieris said:

I should have asked my father when he saw 3qulizer on Thursday

I saw 3qualizer on Saturday and can confirm they replaced it with the generic Pepsi intro they had for years. And nothing of value was lost.

Now our next goal is to get rid of the Nicole Kidman AMC intro. It's easily the worst and more annoying of the two, and we need to kill those memes right away.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

It wasn't even one day before he passed...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66706205.amp

Currently rewatching Shrek right now. This man was a big part of my childhood even outside the ogre. Sad to see him leave so soon.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

39 minutes ago, Eric McCall said:

Now our next goal is to get rid of the Nicole Kidman AMC intro. It's easily the worst and more annoying of the two, and we need to kill those memes right away.

Everytime I see a movie with my Dad he's actively annoyed when he sees this intro. When we saw Bottoms a few days ago he actually threw up his hands when it started. He wants it gone.

A local theater chain at my hometown has their own parody of that intro for some screenings and it's actually funny.

• Haha 2