CAYOM 3.0 Year 2 Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I just finished Truth Is. All I'll say is that I'm curious to see how others react to it.

In general I think it will have less of the straight "it's boring as all hell" complaints that a lot gave the first one (not me I really like the first one) and trades it in for a whole other set of problems

Honestly I thought it was more boring? Like. It's BETTER. It's less melodramatic, as he promised. But that kind of took away some of the appeal of the OTT wackiness the first one had. The story was better/made more sense but again... there's no reason the writeup should have been that long, especially when most of the paragraphs themselves are two are three times as long as an average paragraph.

Yes the person who nearly got to 15K words on an Amityville movie is saying this shut up

22 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

In general I think it will have less of the straight "it's boring as all hell" complaints that a lot gave the first one (not me I really like the first one) and trades it in for a whole other set of problems

Oh god

I do wanna say @Hiccup23 I respect you greatly for trying to tell these kinds of stories. If anything I think your obvious passion is perhaps a handicap in a sense. Both of them, IMO, have been more sloppily-written (or at least edited) than your typical stuff and I get the sense maybe it's because you're so into it that it becomes hard to prune? When something is important to you and all sort of... pouring out, it can be hard to "set the throttle" so to speak and make it something palatable to people who aren't in the same creative headspace you are while writing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xillix said:

I do wanna say @Hiccup23 I respect you greatly for trying to tell these kinds of stories. If anything I think your obvious passion is perhaps a handicap in a sense. Both of them, IMO, have been more sloppily-written (or at least edited) than your typical stuff and I get the sense maybe it's because you're so into it that it becomes hard to prune? When something is important to you and all sort of... pouring out, it can be hard to "set the throttle" so to speak and make it something palatable to people who aren't in the same creative headspace you are while writing.

Yeah true.

I am also trying to convert a over 180,000+ word story into less than 20,000 words. I slashed so much of the story already, I found it difficult to take anything else out. 

You did give it .5 a star more than the first:)

Edited by Hiccup23

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

C+. But still nervous. 

I thought Action Movie would be the icebath.

I thought your write-up might've been okay for a filler but for a $200 million Peter Jackson tentpole I guess I just look for more detail/effort. And as someone only vaguely familiar with the property I really had no idea what it was about or who any of the characters were.

The problem I had with Poison & Wine was that so much of it just ended up being repetitive. I didn't mind the writing myself - in fact I thought @Hiccup23's efforts to condense down his bigger releases as much as possible last year ended up hurting them in terms of lacking the detail that made the difference - because it got me in the right mindset when it was on point. It's just that the story didn't warrant it (and when you imagine it as a two-and-a-half hour film it becomes all that much more of a chore).

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I'm excited and terrified to see how everyone responds to The Odyssey. I'm mostly terrified but I'll have to wait and see I guess.

It's actually one of my most anticipated of the first half of the year (along with @The Shape of Pasta's reworking of The Simulation) because I'm excited to see your first attempt at a big mythic action tentpole (plus Matt Reeves' Apes movies were both excellent).

• Like 2

Spoilers About Truth Is don't read unless you don't mind getting spoiled :unsure:

Spoiler

Basically, if you have read Truth Is you will see it is moving away from melodrama and heading toward romance. This might be a dull story than the first but let me explain.

The first reason I moved from a very melodramatic story to a less of one is because that is how I originally planned the film to be. As a gay person, I wrote the first film actually back freshman year of college (5 years ago.) I wanted a dramatic and crazy story. I wrote it and then forgot about it for 2 years. I found it on my old laptop and was like "mmm, I kind of wanna continue the story" however I myself  changed and my view of LGBT people in cinema changed. I was tired of LGBT people in cinema being depicted as either melodramatic, dying, never getting what they want in life, or being the stereotypical gay person. I decided to write the sequel Truth Is but make it realistic, take stuff from my own life (Tyler's character in the second film actually draws off several realistic dates and stuff I went through in college/life) and put it into the film. Truth Is moves to the typical Hollywood Valentine's Day romance because that is what LGBT+ people need in cinema. We need a film to depict us as normal...it is important to note normal doesn't equal perfect. 

Going forward what can you expect? Basically the third film will be similar to this film. It isn't going back to the melodramatic. LGBT audiences need a happy ending (happy ending doesn't equal Tyler and Hunter being together at the end through ;)) and I intend to give them it. LGBT people need to know that their stories and their love lives can end happily and satisfied. 

Anyway just some of my thoughts as the creator! I hope you al enjoy the film and please don't let my passionate responses guilt trip you. If you have problems don't hesitate to voice them. That is the thing I love about film. It is an art and everybody has a different vision and taste :) 

• Like 2