WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

So I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread for this, but here's an interesting bit of news that came from an article from the New York Times about Universal's PVOD strategy:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie” has generated more than $75 million in premium V.O.D. revenue since May 16, Universal said. “Jurassic World: Dominion,” “The Croods: A New Age” and “Sing 2” each collected more than $50 million. Universal said 14 films, including “News of the World,” a period drama starring Tom Hanks, and “M3gan,” each had more than $25 million.

This got me wondering. When everything is said and done, how much profit do you guys think this movie will be making? Just in general for all parties involved?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koni said:

So I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread for this, but here's an interesting bit of news that came from an article from the New York Times about Universal's PVOD strategy:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie” has generated more than $75 million in premium V.O.D. revenue since May 16, Universal said. “Jurassic World: Dominion,” “The Croods: A New Age” and “Sing 2” each collected more than $50 million. Universal said 14 films, including “News of the World,” a period drama starring Tom Hanks, and “M3gan,” each had more than $25 million.

This got me wondering. When everything is said and done, how much profit do you guys think this movie will be making? Just in general for all parties involved?

This really explains why Universal keeps doing their PVOD release so early because apparently it's making them lots of money, and it's not even hindering the BO performances of their movies. Making $75M on PVOD within 1 month is ridiculous.

As for the total profit, uhh I'm not too sure.

My best guess would be...

Revenues: 

Box office: $625M

Home video: $200M

Streaming licensing agreements: $200M

Total Revenue - $1025M

Expenses:

Production budget: $100M

P&A: $175M

Misc: $125M

Total Expenses - $400M

Net Profit - $625M

Cash on Cash Return (Revenue/Cost) - 2.56

Holy shit that's an insane number if I'm extrapolating right. If you are wondering how I got those numbers, I used Deadline's report on Minions 2 as a comp with Mario's current run (both are Illumination and Universal).

AJFCJaVn2unxd7tfOgJ-D3VjDT3WsxoLrJ5VO3oa

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

It's kind of crazy people aren't willing to wait the 9/10 weeks for Mario to hit dvd/blu before buying it on the superior format.

Nagging kids begging their parents to buy the movie early on PVOD?

It's cheaper for parents with 2+ kids to watch it for $20 at home instead of $30+ just for tickets plus pricy concessions.

Edited by Austin

4 hours ago, Austin said:

This really explains why Universal keeps doing their PVOD release so early because apparently it's making them lots of money, and it's not even hindering the BO performances of their movies. Making $75M on PVOD within 1 month is ridiculous.

As for the total profit, uhh I'm not too sure.

My best guess would be...

Revenues: 

Box office: $625M

Home video: $200M

Streaming licensing agreements: $200M

Total Revenue - $1025M

Expenses:

Production budget: $100M

P&A: $175M

Misc: $125M

Total Expenses - $400M

Net Profit - $625M

Cash on Cash Return (Revenue/Cost) - 2.56

Holy shit that's an insane number if I'm extrapolating right. If you are wondering how I got those numbers, I used Deadline's report on Minions 2 as a comp with Mario's current run (both are Illumination and Universal).

AJFCJaVn2unxd7tfOgJ-D3VjDT3WsxoLrJ5VO3oa

Nintendo being a co-producer will likely make the participations expense much higher for Mario than Minions 2.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Nintendo being a co-producer will likely make the participations expense much higher for Mario than Minions 2.

You're probably right. Would that be reported under participations though? How many times have studios co-produced/distributed a movie?

Edited by Austin

9 hours ago, Austin said:

You're probably right. Would that be reported under participations though? How many times have studios co-produced/distributed a movie?

I think it would, similar to actors negotiating a percentage of the total box office as part of their fee. Nintendo is getting a large share of the profits as part of the deal, as they also financed half of that $100 million budget.

Super Mario Bros.’ wild $377 million global 5-day opening (including $204.6 million domestic), a testament to the power of his Nintendo I.P. Per sources, the game company financed half the movie’s $100 million budget and gets 50 percent of profits after Universal (and its Illumination division) recoup their costs.

Gaming analyst Hideki Yasuda from Tokyo Securities told Nikkei that if The Super Mario Bros. Movie reaches $1.5 billion USD at the box office, Nintendo would see a contribution to its own revenue of more than $220 million USD. Nintendo owns the license and worked out a deal with animation studio Illumination to develop and distribute the movie. The exact terms of the deal have not been made public, however.

how are the last numbers for Mario? Seems The Numbers had two different figures going around both close to 1.35B, one over, one under. I assume it's going to pass Black Panther within a few days and enter top 15 highest-grossing movies of all time if it hasn't already.

Edited by elhassane31

14 minutes ago, elhassane31 said:

how are the last numbers for Mario? Seems The Numbers had two different figures going around both close to 1.35B, one over, one under. I assume it's going to pass Black Panther within a few days and enter top 15 highest-grossing movies of all time if it hasn't already.

Considering that last week remained flat from the previous one, I think that by wednesday's update Mario should be on top of Black Panther in both Box Office Mojo and The-Numbers. Note: For some reason BP in box office mojo has 1349.9M although the sum of both releases do not sum that, the real figure is 1347.6M.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, movies!movies! said:

Now I kind of know why they selling Mario on 4k for a week now on Amazon for $10.

16 minutes ago, YM! said:

If this was a Disney film, you’d have the right wing grifters demanding Disney’s execution

Get woke, get a BILLION!