WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

I think that you need a number of Video game based movies to become big hits before they become a dominant franchise just a couple won't do it.

What i interesting is the failure rate for the movies based on the more Adult orinented franchises, "Resident Evil " in the only oe that rellly made it.

The latest, atteumpt at bring a more adult themed game to the screen, "Borderlands" seems to be a total disaster; the studio has put it on the shelf indefiently.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why do so many people want this thing to be a cinematic universe? A Zelda movie won't work with the tone this movie has.

The only Nintendo property I can see working with a nothing plot like this is Kirby, and I think even that has a smidgen more than Mario.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why do so many people want this thing to be a cinematic universe? A Zelda movie won't work with the tone this movie has.

People want a Super Smash Bros. movie even though it would have the dumbest plot ever. Sad but true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've gotten some nasty messages about saying Metroid's tone is utterly incompatible with this (also that'd rather see that live action)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I've gotten some nasty messages about saying Metroid's tone is utterly incompatible with this (also that'd rather see that live action)

Imagine being angry at somebody for saying the people who made the Minions probably would be a bad fit for making what would basically be a redux of Aliens. These kids today smh

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Count Eric said:

People want a Super Smash Bros. movie even though it would have the dumbest plot ever. Sad but true.

A smash bros movie is most likely impossible. You would need multiple studios and production companies to work together in to get things on the Hollywood end. ( legendary has Pokemon and street fighter. Universal has the rest of nintendo. Sony has metal gear solid. Netflix has mega man. And then you HAVE to bring Disney on for Sora from Kingdom Hearts. And those are the ones we know about).

And THEN we get to the game companies themselves and some of them would be nightmares to work with. Especially Square Enix

Just now, Reddroast said:

A smash bros movie is most likely impossible. You would need multiple studios and production companies to work together in to get things on the Hollywood end. ( legendary has Pokemon and street fighter. Universal has the rest of nintendo. Sony has metal gear solid. Netflix has mega man. And then you HAVE to bring Disney on for Sora from Kingdom Hearts. And those are the ones we know about).

And THEN we get to the game companies themselves and some of them would be nightmares to work with. Especially Square Enix

Paramount has Sonic, Netflix has Castlevania. Warner Bros has Minecraft.

Dunno who has Persona, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Pac-Man, Tekken, King of Fighters or Banjo-Kazooie, if anyone

1 minute ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Paramount has Sonic, Netflix has Castlevania. Warner Bros has Minecraft.

Dunno who has Persona, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Pac-Man, Tekken, King of Fighters or Banjo-Kazooie, if anyone

Netflix has the tv rights not the film rights for CV. 

I mean if they ever did a Smash Bros. movies, it would probably just be Nintendo characters, with no Sonic or Ryu or whatever third party characters. The problem though is that trying to force some big crossover with a bunch of characters who are all from different games with their own tones and styles and universes just sounds like a big headache and reeks of fanfiction trash (which is already the case. Brawl's story mode is fun to play, but as an actual story, it's a big hot mess). This isn't like Marvel where all the movies are in the same genre and tone and style.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

I mean if they ever did a Smash Bros. movies, it would probably just be Nintendo characters, with no Sonic or Ryu or whatever third party characters. The problem though is that trying to force some big crossover with a bunch of characters who are all from different games with their own tones and styles and universes just sounds like a big headache and reeks of fanfiction trash (which is already the case. Brawl's story mode is fun to play, but as an actual story, it's a big hot mess). This isn't like Marvel where all the movies are in the same genre and tone and style.

Well that's one way to make people as mad as pro smash players when they are asked to put on deodorant. 

5 minutes ago, Count Eric said:

Smash Bros is a great concept, characters from different games fighting each other but a movie wouldn't work. 

I think Illumination should focus on Mario, you can easily do a DK spin-off because he's got his own set of villains like K.Rool and even Wario could do done as well. 

Kirby is 50/50, I think the fact the games don't sell anywhere near as well as Mario probably make it more of a risk. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Smash Bros is a great concept, characters from different games fighting each other but a movie wouldn't work. 

I think Illumination should focus on Mario, you can easily do a DK spin-off because he's got his own set of villains like K.Rool and even Wario could do done as well. 

Kirby is 50/50, I think the fact the games don't sell anywhere near as well as Mario probably make it more of a risk. 

To do a Kirby movie properly it has to scare kids. There is a insane amount of cosmic horror in that franchise

On 4/12/2023 at 2:39 AM, dudalb said:

I think that you need a number of Video game based movies to become big hits before they become a dominant franchise just a couple won't do it.

What i interesting is the failure rate for the movies based on the more Adult orinented franchises, "Resident Evil " in the only oe that rellly made it.

The latest, atteumpt at bring a more adult themed game to the screen, "Borderlands" seems to be a total disaster; the studio has put it on the shelf indefiently.

The conversation about video games being the next big thing is weird because the biggest breakout is an animated film aimed at children. That's like if people in 1937 said fairytales would be cinema's biggest genre just because Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was a huge hit.

I'm not knocking against animation but there's no precedent for a live action video game film experiencing the level of success that Mario is currently having.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reddroast said:

You could very easily make a smash film (something like emissary of subspace from brawl) without street fighter, megaman, MGS and sora lol, none of those are iconic smash characters that would be a must get at all

Pokemon would be the only real problem

12 hours ago, cheesypoofs said:

I think they can create a Nintendo universe without having to lead up to a Smash Bros movie. There could be a Luigi's Mansion film, DK Country film... There's plenty of games to draw story inspiration from

Yes, I expected a Mario universe (ala sequels and spin offs), not an overall Nintendo verse...

And Illumination would be perfect for that...heck, through in a Yoshi film, too...