War for the Planet of the Apes

Wonder Woman

Contemporary:

Downsizing

Get Out

Lady Bird

Logan

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nominations-announced-for-art-directors-guild-22nd-annual-excellence-in-production-design-awards-300577622.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Post is kinda flailing, it should still get nominated but I'm thinking odds of it winning (or Streep winning) are more dubious by the day.

I would say its chances of winning anything are looking incredibly slim to nonexistent at this point.

Imagine if even Streep gets snubbed, though. I don't think it'll end up happening but still...

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Art Directors Guild nominees:

Period:

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Murder on the Orient Express

The Post

The Shape of Water

Fantasy:

Beauty and the Beast

Blade Runner 2049

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

War for the Planet of the Apes

Wonder Woman

Contemporary:

Downsizing

Get Out

Lady Bird

Logan

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nominations-announced-for-art-directors-guild-22nd-annual-excellence-in-production-design-awards-300577622.html

That moment when Murder on the Orient Express somehow gets in over Phantom Thread.

:ohmygod:

• Like 1

So nervous about PGA tomorrow. Fully expecting I, Tonya to show up here now. I'm actually expecting Baby Driver to show up (they like recognizing these types of critically-acclaimed box office hits). Praying that Call Me by Your Name makes it. And if The Post also misses here (screeners were apparently sent to WGA on time, they just snubbed it)...

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Logan's nomination bodes well for PGA and the Oscars IMO

It's been following Deadpool's trajectory last year closely so far in guild performance. I think at worst it'll end up right outside the top 5 of Adapted Screenplay considering how dead that category is.

• Like 1

How WGA lines up this decade (bolded if that years winner ended up winning the Oscar):

Spoiler

2016:

Original: 3/5. Moonlight and Loving instead of The Lobster and 20th Century Women. The Lobster was ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. Deadpool and Nocturnal Animals instead of Moonlight and Lion. Lion was ineligible.

2015:

Original: 3/5. Sicario and Trainwreck instead of Ex Machina and Inside Out, both of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. Steve Jobs and Trumbo instead of Brooklyn and Room, both of which were ineligible.

2014:

Original: 4/5. Whiplash instead of Birdman, which wasn't eligible.

Adapted: 2/5. Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Wild instead of Inherent Vice, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash. TTOE was ineligible.

2013:

Original: 5/5

Adapted: 3/5. August: Osage County and Lone Survivor instead of 12 Years a Slave and Philomena, both of which were ineligible.

2012:

Original: 3/5. Looper and The Master instead of Amour and Django Unchained, both of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 4/5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower instead of Beasts of the Southern Wild, which was ineligible.

2011: 

Original: 2/5. 50/50, Win Win, and Young Adult instead of The Artist, Margin Call, and A Separation, all of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Help instead of The Ides of March and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. TTSS was ineligible.

2010:

Original: 3/5. Black Swan and Please Give instead of Another Year and The King's Speech, both of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. I Love You Phillip Morris and The Town instead of Toy Story 3 and Winter's Bone, both of which were ineligible.

Even though they've only gotten one category 100% correct this decade (Original in 2013), they only have two categories where eligible Oscar nominees missed: OS last year with 20th Century Women, and AS in 2014 with Inherent Vice. This year's Adapted Screenplay lineup will probably mirror WGA while Three Billboards will knock out I, Tonya or The Big Sick. There's still a chance Phantom Thread shows up at the Oscars like Inherent Vice, but I can't see The Post having the passion to break in. 

As far as wins go, OS will be a race till the end because of Three Billboards. Outside of 2015 where both winners won the Oscar, the one category that doesn't match in a given year was because of an ineligible title or a different category in the case of Moonlight.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How WGA lines up this decade (bolded if that years winner ended up winning the Oscar):

Hide contents

2016:

Original: 3/5. Moonlight and Loving instead of The Lobster and 20th Century Women. The Lobster was ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. Deadpool and Nocturnal Animals instead of Moonlight and Lion. Lion was ineligible.

2015:

Original: 3/5. Sicario and Trainwreck instead of Ex Machina and Inside Out, both of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. Steve Jobs and Trumbo instead of Brooklyn and Room, both of which were ineligible.

2014:

Original: 4/5. Whiplash instead of Birdman, which wasn't eligible.

Adapted: 2/5. Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Wild instead of Inherent Vice, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash. TTOE was ineligible.

2013:

Original: 5/5

Adapted: 3/5. August: Osage County and Lone Survivor instead of 12 Years a Slave and Philomena, both of which were ineligible.

2012:

Original: 3/5. Looper and The Master instead of Amour and Django Unchained, both of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 4/5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower instead of Beasts of the Southern Wild, which was ineligible.

2011: 

Original: 2/5. 50/50, Win Win, and Young Adult instead of The Artist, Margin Call, and A Separation, all of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Help instead of The Ides of March and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. TTSS was ineligible.

2010:

Original: 3/5. Black Swan and Please Give instead of Another Year and The King's Speech, both of which were ineligible.

Adapted: 3/5. I Love You Phillip Morris and The Town instead of Toy Story 3 and Winter's Bone, both of which were ineligible.

Even though they've only gotten one category 100% correct this decade (Original in 2013), they only have two categories where eligible Oscar nominees missed: OS last year with 20th Century Women, and AS in 2014 with Inherent Vice. This year's Adapted Screenplay lineup will probably mirror WGA while Three Billboards will knock out I, Tonya or The Big Sick. There's still a chance Phantom Thread shows up at the Oscars like Inherent Vice, but I can't see The Post having the passion to break in. 

As far as wins go, OS will be a race till the end because of Three Billboards. Outside of 2015 where both winners won the Oscar, the one category that doesn't match in a given year was because of an ineligible title or a different category in the case of Moonlight.

The last spot in Original Screenplay is gonna come down to I, Tonya or The Big Sick I think. Both have been performing very well so far. Whichever ends up closer to a Best Picture nomination (my money's on the latter in that case).

Just now, filmlover said:

The last spot in Original Screenplay is gonna come down to I, Tonya or The Big Sick I think. Both have been performing very well so far. Whichever ends up closer to a Best Picture nomination (my money's on the latter in that case).

I'm leaning towards I, Tonya over The Big Sick tbh because the former will have more tech support with Editing and Makeup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually think there's a very good chance The Post misses PGA as well. So far its performance has been faring far worse than Bridge of Spies. If it does miss, I think we can officially call it the Selma/Silence of 2017.

Selma only made the costuming guild; The Post has ACE and the production design guild and should still be gaining more. I have a hard time seeing it miss PGA.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Selma only made the costuming guild; The Post has ACE and the production design guild and should still be gaining more. I have a hard time seeing it miss PGA.

You at least concede that the movie's not winning Best Picture or Streep Best Actress (she's definitely 5th place there) now right? :lol: