Eric Wilson

Gringo l STX, Amazon Studios l March 9, 2018 l David Oyelowo, Charlize Theron, Joel Edgerton l Nash Edgerton (Joel's brother) directs

Based on the poster, I think this film probably has a pro-marijuana message. We see the plus sign on the second O in the title, which is probably a hint at the use of medical marijuana.

Plot aside, it's nice to see an African American actor play the lead in an action comedy of this type. That doesn't usually happen.

I think this looks like a very excellent action comedy and a potential win for STX Entertainment. But on the downer side of things, I feel like the regular trailer (not red band, which I'm reluctant to subject myself to) has moments that could have been a little more understandable. But I feel like David Oyelowo, Charlize Theron, and Joel Edgerton signed onto this when they could've signed onto something else for a reason. We'll see how it turns out.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:49 PM, The Shape of Pasta said:

Not sure I'm sold, but I'm game for seeing Oyelowo act like Gosling in The Nice Guys.

I decided to take a look at his IMDb page, and Oyelowo is certainly an actor that has played a variety of roles in films with varying tones, so I think he'll be able to give a fine performance here.