Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Feb 20): BP- 20.9 PR - 1.9 FSF - 1.6

3 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Yes, you can say Avengers was bigger than Avatar, because it was. It made more money. That's how box office works.

What do you mean by "Marvel films made more money but they weren't bigger". That literally means nothing.

I'm aware that the numbers don't include inflation, but for example DH1 made 660M, Avengers made 900M two years later. Does the rest of the world have a 40% inflation rate in two years? Hmm.

Why does it matter that it wasn't in China? Like literally how is that relevant. In some markets Harry Potter is bigger than MCU and Star Wars, in some it is not.

But overall speaking, internationally, overseas, both Avengers and Star Wars make more money. Simple as that. Sorry.

Might also mention that Fantastic Beasts had China and it doesn't change anything.

Sorry but I won't continue an argument with someone that has such a low level of knowledge on overseas box office.

What you are saying is almost equal to "The first Star Wars was the least successful one".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

It made more money. That's how box office works.

What do you mean by "Marvel films made more money but they weren't bigger". That literally means nothing

Money mean nothing, it is an abstract human tool made to exchange good, how much good you could acquire with the money you made is what matter.

5 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I'm aware that the numbers don't include inflation, but for example DH1 made 660M, Avengers made 900M two years later. Does the rest of the world have a 40% inflation rate in two years? Hmm.

DH1 made 660m 2010 US dollars, Avengers is also talking in converted at the time US dollar, that why we can use US inflation here, it is not about which were bigger success, more popular, it is really just looking at which made more money making that conversion, just using the same variable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Sorry but I won't continue an argument with someone that has such a low level of knowledge on overseas box office.

What you are saying is almost equal to "The first Star Wars was the least successful one".

No I'm not, I'm saying that based on your argument that all the Harry Potter films sold more tickets than the Avengers movies, is wrong because 660M in 2010 is not worth more than 900M in 2012. It just isn't. Sorry.

40 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Imagine a world where Avatar didn't have 3d...

Imagine a world where 9 years after Avatar only 1 film came within a billion dollars of it's world wide figure, and that film was still $750 million dollars away.

oh.. right

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Important to note that Beauty and the Beast dropped 35.5% last year, which makes 28% look brilliant!

Honestly the movie can't have any bad numbers at this point. The opening 4 days guaranteed that it will end up with an insane total in the end.

But if this movie had Beauty and the Beast daily percentages after Sunday, this is what would have happened:

Monday - $16.82m (-72%)

Tuesday - $22.22m (+32.1%)

Wednesday - $14.33m (-35.5%)

Thursday - 13.54m (-5.5%)

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Imagine a world where 9 years after Avatar only 1 film came within a billion dollars of it's world wide figure, and that film was still $750 million dollars away.

oh.. right

Before or after you imagine Avatar without 3d? Have you done that yet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

No I'm not, I'm saying that based on your argument that all the Harry Potter films sold more tickets than the Avengers movies, is wrong because 660M in 2010 is not worth more than 900M in 2012. It just isn't. Sorry.

Ok so 1 MCU movie sold more tickets than the least successuful HP movie overseas.

Thank you for proving my point.

3 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Before or after you imagine Avatar without 3d? Have you done that yet?

You realise it was shot in 3D right? It was made with 3D in mine, the film would be completely different without it, scenes would be different. I couldn't imagine what Jim would have done without 3D in mind, that's what makes him James Cameron and me just IronJimbo. The 3D was actually put in the film as part of the experience, not like hollywood which uses a 8 week post process 3D to snatch every last penny they can (see Marvel movies).

1 minute ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

What on earth are you talking about

That the OS performance of Potter in 2018$, mostly in a pre-China world:

Not automatic for a Star Wars/MCU entry to beat those even with China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You realise it was shot in 3D right? It was made with 3D in mine, the film would be completely different without it, scenes would be different. I couldn't imagine what Jim would have done without 3D in mind, that's what makes him James Cameron and me just IronJimbo. The 3D was actually put in the film as part of the experience, not like hollywood which uses a 8 week post process 3D to snatch every last penny they can (see Marvel movies).

That's why Jim Cameron made a T2 3D release right? And a Titanic 3D release? Because post 3D effects are a cheap cash grab, whereas these movies were made with 3D in mind in the first place!

After all, James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron.