baumer

I Feel Pretty (2018)

Grade it  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This sucked. A couple of lines aside, the attempts at humor are about as funny as having your teeth pulled, and the film's message about beauty rings false after spending the last 90 minutes asking us to laugh at how "OMG ugly" Amy Schumer is supposed to be (newsflash: she's not ugly) in comparison to the likes of Emily Ratajowski. Schumer gives it her best shot, but she can't overcome such a shit script.

The only thing that really saves it from complete disaster is Michelle Williams (yes, that Michelle Williams) in a hilariously bizarre supporting performance.

C-

The first half of the film is pleasant and mildly humorous. It's a typical comedy with touches of a rom com interspersed. Unfortunately the film goes south once Renee abandons her friends at dinner to join her co-workers. Pretty much everything after that point is either stupid or nonsensical and definitely not funny. The redemption arc with the friends was unsubstantial and I don't know how or why Renee wasn't yanked off the stage by security when she took over the presentation. I don't have many qualms with the resolution with the boyfriend since it seemed like he never really thought they had broken up. Regardless, the last half of the film is a mess.

Michelle Williams was truly magnificent, though. I am kind of wondering if she was given an entirely different script than all of the other actors as her character seemed like she belonged in a different movie. In fact, I want to track down some interviews with Williams where she talks about her character and the choices she made. Hopefully she doesn't have to wait too many more years before she wins an overdue Oscar as she is certainly the best actress of her generation without an Academy Award with her name on it.

My score: 5/10

Wow. Sorry, but this movie was atrociously boring. I mean I don’t mind a dumb movie with a dumb premise as long as it made me at least chuckle throughout, nevermind laugh. This did absolutely nothing for me, it was boring and dull. I actually did at some point fall asleep through this as I remember jolting up during the movie, clearly having had sleeping. 2/10, F rating

There is some major issue that didn't fit or just could not find a way to make it work in the script.

) The realization that she was the same just looking at picture was a bit easy / cheap, for such a big moment

) And if you are courageous enough, at ease enough with yourself to crash a company presentation with a big entrance without any permission, your self esteem is already fixed, no need to redo it by realizing you were always looking the same in your confidence phase, the amount of confidence needed to do that was already quite high.

) Friend distancing, coming back also didn't work that well.

Other than that, it was supported for the most part by the high concept and Schumer work here, but never elevate over mild fun at is highest, but was still watchable/enjoyable for almost all the running time.

Finally going with someone still pretty enough was probably for the best, the people around her reacted as if she could be delusional and serious and not an obvious  social experiment study/someone pulling some prank, that could been an harder sell casting someone actually ugly.

Edited by Barnack