Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

7 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

From what I can tell, it's about this ambitious project to bring Salmon to Yemen, believing that fishing can help to bring about unity. Oh, and there's also a relationship between Ewan McGregor & Emily Blunt.

That's worth the price of admission right there, lol. I love both of them. Emily has such great chemistry with her co stars. I love her to pieces. And don't even get me started on McGregor. He's such a great actor to me.

It's just one of those movies like Chocolat that really clicked with me, and I rank among the top of the year. I probably one time had Chocolat as my win for the year, Salmon Fishing's definitely in the top 10 right now.

• Like 2

Didn't really work for me.

I actually liked Blunt and McGregor, and their romance was at least adequate. However, the whole love triangle really almost drives the whole film into oblivion. Never bought that angle, and when the focus shifts to that during the climax, it really fails overall as a movie. I wanted more of the fishing experiment on display, and instead got typical rom-com cliche haven towards the end.

It's just your typical rom-com masquerading as something different and does have some nice subtle touches, but in the end.........just a typical rom-com.

C+

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

Missed it in theaters, found the DVD among my christmas presents and so we caught up today ...Nice story but com-pleat-ly predictable. Sorry but with this crazy setup and title you have to go for something a lot more over-the-top. Apart from that, funny, and good performances, and some nice landscape and interior shots. Ewan McGregor can become a kind of Harrison Ford for this generation; whatever the role, he slips in comfortably and still is always himself.

its a sweet film with an unlikely plot which is the reason it took me so long to watch this film , just this summer it was constantly on tv but i'd switch channel i thought it looked boring people in the desert and again that title 

reason that brought me around seeing it , tom mison plays in it and since i'm fangirling the heck out of him since sleepy hollow started , i'm catching up on his filmography ....i had seen him in parade's end but he was a secondary character there to benedict cumberbatch 

anyway i was more on ewan mcgregor character dubious outlook on the project except i never changed stance completely like him 

i loved the prime minister communications lady played by kristin scott thomas she had the funniest lines and text messages 

the sheik hmm didnt know what to think of him , he seemed like quite the spiritual man , a bit too naive 

i get this is fictitious but from what little i hear of yemen in the news terrorist nest , the idea of them haivng this benevolent sheik is hmm i dunno , and since i truly don't know much about that country i won't say anymore on this particular angle 

its just him the doctor jones and the girl all converge to adopt this idealistic view of the world through this unseemingly project that at best seemed foolhardy but eh the guy is uber rich right ...

i'd have rather the soldier (tom mison) be dead than bring him back to life just to participate in this sham in the desert and get his heart broken by having to witness how someone else stoled his girl while he was missing in action , their bond of 3 weeks before he left was tenuous at best , she cried what could have been but in the meantime she actually got to know mcgregor character and bond with him instead 

maybe i'm getting more cynical with age still it was a sweet movie just the end was a bit theatrical so just an A from me!

next i'm going to watch lost in austen with tom in it