A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

I find it funny that people still make out that TL wasn't a hit when it made more profit for its studio than Batman Begins or X-Men: FC. Now, obviously the word of mouth on it wasn't as good as those films, which would make it hard for the sequel to break out (and the TV series being essentially cancelled doesn't help). Still, Tron does have a loyal audience, and if the sequel actually has a good script it could significantly outgross TL.

I find it funny that people still make out that TL wasn't a hit when it made more profit for its studio than Batman Begins or X-Men: FC. L.

I hate to break it to you...but Tron: Legacy didn't make a dime of profit, and never will.

Maybe not, but it still made more money than lots of films that have already had sequels, such as those two I mentioned.

Well, ignoring that it didn't make any money (and cost more than both of your examples)...the good will on Batman Begins and First Class is much stronger on those films. And they're superior movies. And...Fox has good reason to push forward with Xmen that Tron doesn't have (theyve got a license they need to retain)...and...fuckin Batman? Do I even need to explain? Tron may have not been a financial disaster, but sequel potential was much stronger on both your examples than Tron.Don't get me wrong...Tron is in that space where a sequel can still make sense...but it's not as simple as doing a number comparisons. Even if profit (or lack there of)...is one to one on each of these films...and Batman Begins is probably not one to one since video was probably significantly better on that film than Tron simply cause where the market was in 2005 than 2011...it's never that simple.Don't count me as too much a naysayer...I'm not saying its a horrible idea...Tron is on the edge of a sequel being a reasonable financial bet...but it's not an obvious win. Edited by kowhite

They did...the thing about the budgets you read...they're always leave out lots of costs nobody thinks about...never mind budgets are always understated. Honestly when it comes to costs on any movie...take the budget, add the P&A...then add another 10 or 15% on top cause...that's them costs you guys are never hearing about. Overhead is a very real thing.

I know that the studio also use money for marketing, but here’s the thing, when referring to the success of a movie, most people don’t talk about the marketing. If a movie makes back twice its considered breaking even.

Okay?

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

I know that the studio also use money for marketing, but here’s the thing, when referring to the success of a movie, most people don’t talk about the marketing. If a movie makes back twice its considered breaking even.

That’s how it works.

Okay?

I'm a bit more precise in my proclamations of actual profitability. What can I say, I know how it actually works so I tend to put more stock in reality than rules of thumbs. Studios don't greenlight movies based on the two times Internet posted production budget rules.

Not to say that rule of thumb isn't in the ballpark...but it's just a ballpark, and often quite off from reality. I know what most people do...but I'm wearing my studio finance hat, not my box office forum hat right now.

I'm a bit more precise in my proclamations of actual profitability. What can I say, I know how it actually works so I tend to put more stock in reality than rules of thumbs. Studios don't greenlight movies based on the two times Internet posted production budget rules.Not to say that rule of thumb isn't in the ballpark...but it's just a ballpark, and often quite off from reality. I know what most people do...but I'm wearing my studio finance hat, not my box office forum hat right now.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Can I be honest? I hated Legacy first time I saw it but its grown on me as time has gone on with multiple viewings. Sure the plot was ridiculous and you don't give a shit about the characters but it was still pretty fun. Plus visually stunning with a great soundtrack.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 1

Well, ignoring that it didn't make any money (and cost more than both of your examples)...the good will on Batman Begins and First Class is much stronger on those films. And they're superior movies. And...Fox has good reason to push forward with Xmen that Tron doesn't have (theyve got a license they need to retain)...and...fuckin Batman? Do I even need to explain? Tron may have not been a financial disaster, but sequel potential was much stronger on both your examples than Tron.Don't get me wrong...Tron is in that space where a sequel can still make sense...but it's not as simple as doing a number comparisons. Even if profit (or lack there of)...is one to one on each of these films...and Batman Begins is probably not one to one since video was probably significantly better on that film than Tron simply cause where the market was in 2005 than 2011...it's never that simple.Don't count me as too much a naysayer...I'm not saying its a horrible idea...Tron is on the edge of a sequel being a reasonable financial bet...but it's not an obvious win.

Add on.  Its about the potential.  BB and XFC both were basically rebooting previously successful franchises after the previous movie all but killed the golden goose.  Neither of these films broke out its big selling point (Joker and Wolverine).  XFC especially lucked out on its cast where at the time you had unknowns like Lawrence, McAvoy and Fassbender that are now either huge stars in Lawrences case or much higher profile like the latter two. 

Tron is a movie where the budget really cant be much lower then 150 or so.  The first one was not exactly a break out hit though it did develop a cult following.  Legacy which I kind of liked was not exactly go tell your friends they have to see it type movie.  Legacy did not exactly face the 27 Yankees in competition.  There really is no stars to attach to it.  Basically their sell line is remember the movie Daft Punk did the soundtrack too and you saw because there was nothing else playing at the theaters well its back.  There just is no hook to sell this.  Disney would be much better off saving this money in order to buy its next production house that can actually produce hit franchises because its clear they cant do it in house.

Can I be honest? I hated Legacy first time I saw it but its grown on me as time has gone on with multiple viewings. Sure the plot was ridiculous and you don't give a shit about the characters but it was still pretty fun. Plus visually stunning with a great soundtrack.

TR has fantastic visual and of course the Daft Punk soundtrack. But its 3rd act with its out-of-place dogfights is very weak

I saw the 3D engagement and it was pretty good. Kosinski has a future

TR has fantastic visual and of course the Daft Punk soundtrack. But its 3rd act with its out-of-place dogfights is very weak

I saw the 3D engagement and it was pretty good. Kosinski has a future

I thought the third act was really strong, the middle was the one that was a bit murky with all the exposition.

The final race to the portal was exciting, the face-off between Flynn and Clu was poignant and the last scene was outstanding.

Edited by Louis Lux
  • Like 1