baumer

Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)

Grade it  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I cried so hard. I am STILL emotional and I saw it like 12 hours ago.  More thoughts in the morning. Everyone should go out to see this. Even if you have to drive. So profound. 

Only question: will this or RBG will the acamdey award for best documentary?

• Like 2

This is a wonderful and timely documentary that I feel the world needs in a time like this. Mr. Rogers' messages of peace, love, acceptance, etc. remain as poignant and important today as they did during his time on television. I never grew up with the show, partly because it ended when I was only a small infant, but as a young adult, I find the messages this man tried to teach young children to be very thoughtful and inspiring even at my age. There has never been a show quite like his, not before or even after. Learning about this man's life in this film was truly an experience within itself.

I feel that now, more than ever, the world needs someone like Mr. Rogers to help inspire others and be a voice of reason in this time of divide. It seems selfish to want someone just like him to do so but that's just how I feel about the matter. We're never gonna get someone just like him ever again, and that's okay. His words, his messages, and the characters he portrayed to showcase these messages in his show will continue to inspire others to help the world in their own way.

It bears repeating but this documentary is just so wonderful and touching. I've never sat through a film before and have felt as inspired the way I felt after viewing this film. It gave me a renewed sense of hope and kindness that I've never gotten out of a film before. This is the best film I've seen so far this year and I can't recommend it enough. I think it'll be herculean task for anyone not to be moved by this film.

5/5

Edited by Rorschach
  • Like 3

The one disturbing thing about watching this movie is that you realize that although the world needs a man like Mr. Rodgers, we might need him now more than ever, but even though we need him, he would probably be ostracized and ridiculed beyond belief in this cynical time we live in.  Here's a man who truly cared for kids.  There was never any chicanery, no whispers of abuse or molestation or any other nefarious kind of rumour that would exist today.  He loved them and wanted them to grow up believing in themselves.  He also loved people and he tried to help others, including taking a stand with black people in the tumultuous times they lived in.  

A stunning film and one that should be a shoe in for best documentary this year.

10/10

• Like 4

I've gone to see this one twice now, and it's worked on my emotions in ways no other movie has since... I don't even know. Up, maybe? In lieu of a traditional review, here's a roundup of all the moments that melted me to a blubbering mass:

- Footage of Daniel Striped Tiger's conversations with Lady Evelyn about assassinations and being a mistake. Like the talking heads say in the film, doing either of these topics took some MAJOR balls on Rogers's part. As said in the movie, it would have been too easy to have Daniel just accept the song about not being a mistake; turning it into a duet of dueling voices is an extraordinarily nuanced (and accurate) look at the illogical ways in which we convince ourselves that we've screwed up despite evidence to the contrary.

- Francois Clemmons recounting the story about Rogers saying he loved him for the first time. Rogers's unwillingness to let Clemmons be open about his sexuality - while understandable from a purely practical perspective (best summed up in Clemmons's own words about getting married to a woman: "I wasn't stupid.") - is one of the few blemishes on an otherwise incredibly accepting and tolerant record, so hearing Clemmons talk about this moment of acceptance from a paternal figure that had eluded him through much of his life feels extremely powerful.

- The archival footage of the visit from the boy in the wheelchair.

- A woman coming up to Rogers at his final commencement speech and thanking him for providing her preschool education because learning disabilities kept her out of attending a traditional preschool. (GAH!)

- Rogers's call to reflect upon the people who thought you into thinking, learned you into learning, loved you into loving, etc. and interview subjects' reactions to that very question.

Great man. Great movie. 

• Like 2