Box Office Hit

M3GAN | Universal | January 6, 2023 | Profit of $78.8M

Some of the media saying Megan could be as high as 33m! Actuals should be interesting my brothers and sisters.

Now what do all think?.I'm upping my rating to 5.8. I'm feeling 2.7 -3x multi or better(70-95m domestic finish?? Or 100-110m or better🦝👍

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This is true but i also think when it comes to horror movies especially, the quality of the movies plays a big big role. In the past, even if the film was really bad, it could still attract huge numbers of viewers, but since the pandemic began, there is a pattern that nearly all of the well-received horror films also just have good box office. More than ever it seems, the performances of horror films are deceided by WOM. Megan is the newest example for this. If it would have a 30% RT score and bad audience response, it would have tanked on OW, but since its a well-made and well-liked movie, it will enjoy great success.

I disagree on the last point. There was too much awareness for it to outright tank, especially with the $12m budget. Obviously reviews helped it break out big time, but PG13 horror films have been relatively critic proof on opening weekend for decades now, especially in early January. 

The Devil Inside, The Unborn, White Noise. All under 9% on RT yet all had great opening weekends at 20, 25 and 33m. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I disagree on the last point. There was too much awareness for it to outright tank, especially with the $12m budget. Obviously reviews helped it break out big time, but PG13 horror films have been relatively critic proof on opening weekend for decades now, especially in early January. 

The Devil Inside, The Unborn, White Noise. All under 9% on RT yet all had great opening weekends at 20, 25 and 33m. 

I just realized i worded that poorly. What i meant is that bad WOM/reception tanks the OW multiplier, i. e. the percentages of the grosses. I completely agree that even with horrible reception Megan would have a good Opening Day, but instead of getting a 30M+ OW, it would have probably gotten something like 23 - 26M and then bad legs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I just realized i worded that poorly. What i meant is that bad WOM/reception tanks the OW multiplier, i. e. the percentages of the grosses. I completely agree that even with horrible reception Megan would have a good Opening Day, but instead of getting a 30M+ OW, it would have probably gotten something like 23 - 26M and then bad legs.

Yeh definitely, would’ve been a quick run for sure. 

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Wow all of those are under 9%?? That's really fascinating actually. Critic proof on opening weekend is right!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh definitely, would’ve been a quick run for sure. 

Hey krissykins and Verrows. Do our sisters think this Goes over 90m domestic?. Incredible success already if budget is only 12 and I'm sure they spent 20-30mil to advertise. So Megan should be making almost immediately profit starting this week. Crazy thing is it still has os markets that may bring in good bounty after all these markets revved up from Avatar 2 and want to see the next interesting film on the marker.

Does anyone know  if Megan got a big release internationally?

Doll Tiktok Dance GIF by M3GAN

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

12 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Hey krissykins and Verrows. Do our sisters think this Goes over 90m domestic?. Incredible success already if budget is only 12 and I'm sure they spent 20-30mil to advertise. So Megan should be making almost immediately profit starting this week. Crazy thing is it still has os markets that may bring in good bounty after all these markets revved up from Avatar 2 and want to see the next interesting film on the marker.

Does anyone know  if Megan got a big release internationally?

Doll Tiktok Dance GIF by M3GAN

It has opened well in Mexico, France, Italy and Spain I think. 

It opens in at least 23 more countries this Friday, including the UK and Australia. So it seems like a pretty big release. I’ve booked tickets for Friday, it’s also Friday the 13th so that should help a little too as an extra gimmick. 

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see how it holds next week and the following week. I think this has a solid chance at $100M with the lack of competition and positive reviews. BUT I could also see it dropping off with everybody interested going opening weekend. 

39 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

It will be interesting to see how it holds next week and the following week. I think this has a solid chance at $100M with the lack of competition and positive reviews. BUT I could also see it dropping off with everybody interested going opening weekend. 

It’s difficult to tell. Horror films are often front-loaded, especially the ones released in January, but Smile was surprisingly leggy. I can’t imagine this dropping nearly as bad as the Halloween sequels, but I don’t know if we should expect a 3x multiplier. 

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

Should be a very interesting watch indeed.🦝👍. I can definitely see at least 90m...

Now if Megan holds for

100+m , that would be fantastic and guarantee maybe 2 sequels.

This of course also depending on Megan's OS bounty that's starting out rather well it seems.

Special thanks to Krissykin for update 😎👍

• Like 1

WOW, Universal may pull this after 17 days!?

From BOM:

Sci-fi horror film M3GAN should take second place again and continue a strong box office run after its $30.4 million opening. The 17-day release window means we won’t have a chance to see if this is another The Black Phone or Smile (which respectively grossed $90.1 million and $106 million in 2022), but through Monday it should be in the mid-to-high 50s domestically with still more to eke out theatrically. Off a $12 million budget, that’s still a great theatrical run, even if it gets cut short from its full potential.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, JWR said:

Another win for Universal and Blumhouse. They really know how market their shit.

They also know how to keep a budget low......low enough so even if the film is not well recieved generally, the core horror fans will come and you will at least get your money back.

And of course Universal has, let us say, the closest and longest connection with Horror films of any studio.

• Like 1