Box Office Hit

M3GAN | Universal | January 6, 2023 | Profit of $78.8M

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I predict M3gan will be the perfect palate cleanser after Avatar. Going from such a big epic movie to goofy small horror.

I agree it is practically perfect counter-programming as well.

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

if this can pull in walkups tomorrow like Black Phone did, 3m previews can happen. Let us wait and see. 

Hopefully.

Smile was 2M/22.6 -  11.3x

Barbarian 850k/10.54 - 12.5x

Prey for the Devil 660k/7.18 - 10.9x 

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I had no idea this was from the writer of Malignant until I read the Empire review. Consider me all the way in for this now!

Malignant rocks, hope Wan makes another film like that with Akela Cooper soon (i know he co-wrote the story for this one, but malignant's direction was next level)

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Holy Moly. So much for the toxic wom people had been saying from countries where the film has already opened.

I would wait to see more audience scores before I declare a victory here lol.  This is def good news for me, but horror auds are notoriously fickle and they still might hate it.

Malignant got 76% critics and 52% audience and a C Cinemascore. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I would wait to see more audience scores before I declare a victory here lol.  This is def good news for me, but horror auds are notoriously fickle and they still might hate it.

Malignant got 76% critics and 52% audience and a C Cinemascore. 

Just a bit shocked by that level of reviews for a horror movie about a kill;er doll.

I mean the RT score will obviosly drop but i bet it finished higher than 85.

Could have a serious impact on A2's weekend possibly (A2 will win the weekend though).

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I do think CS for this movie will be kinda bad (like B or B-) 

And i still bet legs will be good, like for Barbarian

I think M3GAN has the advantage of being fairly straightforward and isn't being sold as "scary" so there might be less disappointment?

Then again, I don't know what the general public *truly* expects when they go to see horror movies.  

7 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think M3GAN has the advantage of being fairly straightforward and isn't being sold as "scary" so there might be less disappointment?

Then again, I don't know what the general public *truly* expects when they go to see horror movies.  

GA expectations of horror movies:

80's: Boobs and Blood
90's: Less Boobs, less blood but more jumpscares

00's: No Boobs, a ton of blood, more torture and remakes

10's: No torture, all of the jumpscares, more ghosts

20's: A bit less Jumpscares, more humour, better scripts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like this will set a new, lofty standard for the annual first weekend of the year horror movies.

Reminds me of Escape Room in 2019, or even Insidious: The Last Key the year before. Obviously those weren't quite the critical hits that M3GAis so far, but I remember them.getting surprisingly positive reception and performed better at the box office than the usual films in that slot.

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

A B for a horror movie isn’t all that bad. 

For a PG-13 one i think it is, but let's see, i'm expecting good legs no matter what 

26 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Maybe, for me it's shocking going to see it expecting scares instead of fun, but if a portion of the audience go expecting a horror movie CS will be bad. 

But that doesn't seems to matter anymore for this type of "freaky" horror movies so they're fine