filmlover

Mid90s | A24 | Jonah Hill's directorial debut | 10/19/2018

I like how unique the aesthetic of the film is. It's got its work cut out if it wants to compete with similar films this year but I'm gonna keep a close eye on it. Jonah Hill directed a music video for rapper Danny Brown and I thought that was pretty creative so we'll see.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:28 AM, filmlover said:

Reminds me of Larry Clark's Kids.

Jonah Hill listed "Kids" as one of the main influences on this film, so that makes sense.

IMO, "Kids" seemed edgy and deep when I was 17, but I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much now. For the same reason, I'm not really interested in "Mid90's." It seems like yet another "gritty" film with way too big a chip on its shoulder, trying to make us fetishize the rough life of a kid in poverty. These days, such films depress me, yet also bring no insight to justify their existence. Also, I'm pretty certain Jonah Hill is not telling this story from his own personal experience, so I'm not expecting it to feel authentic.

I liked it, but wouldn’t say I loved it. Suljic is a super charming lead, and Jonah Hill does have a strong directorial eye, but it feels like literally the A24iest movie ever. Not that A24 is bad, but....it just doesn’t have the freshness to truly blow me away.

Solid B, either way.

• Thanks 1

I have some breaking news I want to share about this film!

I was bored, so I decided to type Mid90s into Google...

And lo and behold, the film already has showtimes at one of my city's theaters beginning the weekend of October 26th!

That's pretty awesome in my opinion! I might be able to see it!

Edited by Slambros

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

I have some breaking news I want to share about this film!

I was bored, so I decided to type Mid90s into Google...

And lo and behold, the film already has showtimes at one of my city's theaters beginning the weekend of October 26th!

That's pretty awesome in my opinion! I might be able to see it!

It's opening at a lot of locations around here too. A24's probably gonna get it into 500-600 theaters that weekend since there's only three wide openers (none of which will do very well) before the November avalanche comes along.

• Like 1