Darth Lehnsherr

Avatar: The Last Airbender (Live Action)

https://deadline.com/2018/09/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-series-netflix-1202467089/

“We’re thrilled for the opportunity to helm this live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender,” DiMartino and Konietzko said in a release announcing the project. “We can’t wait to realize Aang’s world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone’s great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we’re incredibly grateful to be partnering with them.”

On 9/20/2020 at 8:07 PM, Lokis Legion said:

RIP this project.

We should just pin this tbh, I’m unfollowing this no hype guaranteed embarrassment of a project. Netflix screwed the pooch just like the last live-action adaptation, but luckily it’s completely irrelevant now that we have a dozen animated new content coming down the pipe 😍

• Like 1

Ohhhhhkay. tldr; I see plenty to like, and plenty to not like.

What I like;

• Spoiler
    • They bought in Azula in their season 1 instead of her original season 2 (Well, if you ignore her cameos).
      Spoiler

One of her scenes is infiltrating and pretending to be an Earth Kingdom peasant. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if that plotline lasted for more than 5 minutes? Maybe even 20? And she still betrays them and is unremorseful?

• It's also really great that Ozai is shown to actively be pitting his children against each other, but I do wish they had held back on showing him full on until the Agni Kai.That way you still see his mechanization but we aren't totally deprived of Daniel Dae Kim (and his pecs).
    • Compounding some of the episodes. Jet/The Northern Air Temple/The Cave of Two Lovers/Kind Of Omashu are in the same arc of 2 episodes. I think it's a little crowded and Cave could have been removed, but the idea makes sense.
    • Gordon Comier as Aang is adorable. One thing this show understands is that Aang had a tendency to be funny in the original show, which is something people kind of ignore.
    • Dallas Liu as Zuko is the best casting out of the young cast. This young man understands the assignment!
    • Showing the Air Nomad Genocide is endearing. I also like Gyatso!

What I didn't like.

Spoiler

• Katara is severely sidelined. Like we see her grief and sadness before we see her spirit and caring nature. It does get a little better in the last episode.
  • Some of the bending is kind of jank but funny? Watching an Airbender whip up a tornado that's suddenly ripped through via fire and burns her alive?
  • For all of the improvements of the Fire Nation, I feel like they wanted to be their own thing so badly, they made changes that didn't make sense, mainly with Iroh. It feels like there's two characteristics at play with him and it very rarely works.
  • They feel the need to shove so much exposition. Like...we do not need Kanna to recite the opening monologue from the animated show. To an iota of credit, they do give Kyoshi's backstory and it is accurate, meaning someone read The Rise of Kyoshi on staff.
  • Why do we need to shoehorn the previous 3 Avatars in so quickly? It feels like they don't believe they'll get a second season (and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't). Why does Aang have to treat their statues like checkpoints?
  • Spirited Away is just a terrible episode.
  • People complained that the costumes looked too clean; That didn't bother me, but some did look more comical than others, mainly Mai's. They could have cut her hair down a bit, damn. And Yue's wig was awful. Also her character was really just .... they put so much into her this go around- One or the other, make her a princess or a priestess (which I'd prefer).

Edited by Morieris

46 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Thoughts now that the show is out?

This show is lion king 2019. Visuals and bending are good but the story and characters fall flat .

1 - solid

2- solid but not good as 1st

3-4 . Rushed,shove too many plotlines in this stage,it's where I really turned on the show. 

5- underwhelming and bored me to death

6- minus one pet peeve I had ,best episode.

7-8 - some cool action in parts but everything feels rushed , katara and Mr paku storyline was poorly handled and just felt unearned and just did disservice to both characters .

Original show was pretty good at show and tell. This was more tell and less show which just made worlbuilding boring.

6/10 . 

It's meh. Although the choreography could have been better, visuals and action are pretty good when the show isn't hamstringing itself with slowmo, which made episode 8 my favorite by default due to the Koizilla (glorious). The show does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the original and at least is making a good faith attempt to stick to the original story and respect the world. ire Nation characters were mostly good as well, but Iroh and Azula do feel off.

But the biggest crime here is the rushed character development for the Gaang, who barely even feel like friends. This is just compounded by heaps of bad expository dialogue and the baffling decision to split them up for much of the show. Katara in particular doesn't even feel like the same character, and Aang is pretty far off as well (in this version he doesn't even run from being the Avatar, getting caught in the storm was purely a freak accident). Sokka is elevated by his actor, but doesn't really bond with the others as he should, and Appa and Momo feel like props.

Some side characters (Kyoshi and Bumi especially) were handled oddly and the Spirit World in general was done really poorly, surprisingly so since the show was fairly respectful of the original's lore and world in other ways. The score was also very unmemorable and didn't use the original themes as much as it should have.

• Like 1

I don't think I'm going to make it past episode three on this one. This is such a weird beast of a show. It's obviously very expensive. The special effects look good and the fight choreography is pretty well done, but almost all of the casting is horrible. If you're going to spend this kind of money, you should at least try and find children who can act. Aang just looks constipated any time he's supposed to be expressing a sad emotion and Katara falls completely flat here. The last straw for me was Azula. You cannot cast someone with no screen presence to play Azula of all characters.

The final thing I'll mention is that the costuming is pretty bad here. Everyone looks like they're dressed up for comic con instead of being part of a living breathing world. It's one of the problems of these sorts of live action remakes that's growing more common. The creators are so afraid of courting backlash that they're too afraid to change things to make more sense in live action. Things that look amazing in animation don't always translate one to one in another medium.

It seems like this show has gotten a free pass only because it's not as horrible as the movie.

• Like 1

This is neither bad enough to make me hate it no is it good enough to make me care about it. Its the definition of mediocrity imo (and yeah, some changes here from the show are baffling).

I think this show will be forgotten quite fast honestly.