Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y4: Now with 100% More Hot Takes

Fair, it certainly does go into the gore zone more often as opposed to black goo and ghostly apparitions. Not to everyone's taste.

It was a conscious decision on my part to give this one a pretty different tone than the original, so I expected someone at least would have this reaction. This was wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwway back maybe even during Y3 when it was originally scheduled, but I did warn people that Part II was going to be sort of an outlier in the trilogy, one that sort of does its own thing to lead into the finale.

Part III (assuming I get to make it) will be a much closer stylistic match to the first one, and

Spoiler

Alice (Anne Heche) will be a main character again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Fair, it certainly does go into the gore zone more often as opposed to black goo and ghostly apparitions. Not to everyone's taste.

It was a conscious decision on my part to give this one a pretty different tone than the original, so I expected someone at least would have this reaction. This was wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwway back maybe even during Y3 when it was originally scheduled, but I did warn people that Part II was going to be sort of an outlier in the trilogy, one that sort of does its own thing to lead into the finale.

Part III (assuming I get to make it) will be a much closer stylistic match to the first one, and

Reveal hidden contents

There were some aspects about the climax that I liked and the ending certainly lends itself to a lot of interesting possibilities, but yeah, it just crossed the line of overdone for me.

Amulet II: The Last Council

giphy.gif

Well, this truly was the Lawrence of Arabia of animation in terms of length, that for sure.

I kid of course. There's certainly a lot to unpack here for an animated film but truth be told, I'm a little too tired to really say that much on it. I will say, however, that despite the length, it is a fairly breezy film, though this is surely gonna test the attention span and bladder of any young kid that sees it. 

I do wish I reread the first film before watching this to have certain plot details fresh in my head but from what I remember, I do think it was a better film overall, though there certainly is a lot to like about this film. The grand scope and fantasy settings did give me a lot of Studio Ghibli vibes, which I really appreciated. The ensemble cast of characters are all fairly memorable and entertaining, though some of the characters from the first film are somewhat sidelined in this film to give the newbies some shine. I don't mind this a whole lot since some of the newer characters are fairly interesting, particularly F. Murray Abraham's character who is very memorable despite his small role in the film at whole.

For an animated film, I did appreciate that it wasn't afraid to take its audience seriously at times, taking a lot of dark turns and risks at a lot of points. The downer ending is a nice change of pace and I'm certainly interested in seeing what direction the next film goes. 

Overall, Amulet II is extremely admirable in the directions it goes, truly unlike most other animated films that have been released in CAYOM thus far, and it pays off for the most part. Maybe a bit of tightening in the runtime could've helped it but its an admirable feat regardless that it managed to own it with pride. Can't wait what Part 3 brings @Alpha

8/10

• Like 2

Kingdom of the Sun

It has a lot of fun elements to it but they're ultimately squandered by a story that doesn't shape up to the film we actually got.

giphy.gif

4/10

Spoiler

Just kidding. This was a fairly enjoyable film. Jake T. Austin is very well in the dual roles of Kuzco and Pacha while Michelle Pfeiffer is damn good as Yzma. The visuals, sets, and filmmaking are all around really good and the new songs from the La La Land team are pretty good too. As its own thing, its fairly well done. However, it just doesn't compare to the original film, which in my opinion is better in all counts. Might just be my childhood nostalgia talking but I'm honestly glad we got the version that we did.

Still, it was a good effort all around.

7/10

• Like 2

Sir Thymes Time

gdpi_screen_5501.gif?w=970

A fun and fairly breezy animated film. The idea of songs being their own thinking and feeling selves is an interesting idea and the movie wisely makes use of that concept. The voice cast is pretty good all around and the animation is top-notch. Not too much to really say except it was entertaining and a good time at the movies.

7.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

Kingdom of the Sun

It has a lot of fun elements to it but they're ultimately squandered by a story that doesn't shape up to the film we actually got.

giphy.gif

4/10

Hide contents

Just kidding. This was a fairly enjoyable film. Jake T. Austin is very well in the dual roles of Kuzco and Pacha while Michelle Pfeiffer is damn good as Yzma. The visuals, sets, and filmmaking are all around really good and the new songs from the La La Land team are pretty good too. As its own thing, its fairly well done. However, it just doesn't compare to the original film, which in my opinion is better in all counts. Might just be my childhood nostalgia talking but I'm honestly glad we got the version that we did.

Still, it was a good effort all around.

7/10

You damn near gave me a heart attack until I scrolled down.

Wait, is this how others feel when I do this shit. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You damn near gave me a heart attack until I scrolled down.

Wait, is this how others feel when I do this shit. 

No because frankly you do it so often it's not surprising anymore. Or funny anymore, tbh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xillix said:

No because frankly you do it so often it's not surprising anymore. Or funny anymore, tbh.

True, I think next year I might stop doing it or limit it to a few films.