SLAM!

BOT Revisiting: The Top 25 Movies of 1998 || Closed For Entries || "This will be the BEST LIST EVER!!" - me || Results on Page Seven

#5: Mulan (56 pts, 9 lists)

mulan-poster.jpg

dir. Tony Bancroft, Barry Cook

Awards: Nominated for One Academy Award

Mulan has definitely remained noteworthy in the eyes of the masses as a Disney animated feature. The film is not only groundbreaking for its strong female lead--which is, perhaps, carrying the torch that Pocahontas started even further forward; it is also groundbreaking for its visual style, which provides clear nods to Chinese art.

And this is a song from the movie that I like:

• Like 8

#4: The Thin Red Line (66 pts, 9 lists)

18872779],sizedata[850x600]&call=url[fil

dir. Terrence Malick

Awards: Seven Oscar Nominations; Winner of the Berlin Film Festival's Golden Bear

This film may be a touch more forgotten than a certain other war film, but it's a true classic nonetheless. It is also a touch more abstract, a little less straightforward, than most war films in general--largely thanks to Terrence Malick's masterful, unique, and evocative direction. It is a blessing to have a war film such as this stand alongside other, more straightforward war films.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

(Sorry @Ethan Hunt)

#3: Saving Private Ryan (99 pts, 15 lists)

220px-Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

dir. Steven Spielberg

Awards: Five Academy Award Wins

Steven Spielberg has always been able to make legendary films, and Saving Private Ryan is certainly no exception--there's a reason as to why Shakespeare in Love beating this venerated WWII film is considered one of the greatest Best Picture upsets in history. Plus, we all know the degree as to which the film's D-Day sequence has cemented itself in pop-culture notoriety.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 7

#2: The Big Lebowski (102 pts, 16 lists)

220px-Biglebowskiposter.jpg

dir. The Coen Brothers

Awards: no major nominations

Edging out Saving Private Ryan by three points is the fan-favorite dark comedy by The Coen Brothers: The Big Lebowski. It is at once a portrait of a Vietnam War veteran falling into the forgotten outskirts of American society, a buddy cop comedy where both characters are deeply flawed, and a masterclass in the ethical use of pervasive language for the purpose of telling a compelling narrative story. It really is the story of the film, however small the scale may seem, that truly drives this film towards such an iconic status.

Just remember to watch out for the nihilists, with their red bodysuits and comically large scissors!

nihilists.jpg

• Like 10
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

Of course, that's not the actual number one film... that film actually had 11 points from 3 lists--though I'm sure the film is great nonetheless.

Here's the real number one:

Spoiler

#1: The Truman Show (123 pts (!!), 17 lists)

Trumanshow.jpg 

dir. Peter Weir

Awards: Winner of Three Golden Globes; Nominated for Three Academy Awards

It makes sense, to me, for The Truman Show to be the most celebrated film of 1998. It is a product of its time, as well as a prophetic rebuttal of the loss of privacy that many people are experiencing during the 21st century. Jim Carrey truly shows how much of great actor he really was--he provides depth as a man slowly finding out that something about his world is strangely amiss , and cinema history is all the better for it.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 8
  • Knock It Off 1

American History X is way too low, It's a masterpiece and one of the best films of all time much less of just 1998. Particularly egregious is putting it below the crappy Out of Sight. At least with something like Thin Red Line (that I personally didn't like at all) it was doing something unique where it's obvious why people like it so much, Out Of Sight felt like a bad version of a hundred other movies. At least the top two are both great movies.

Also SPR is much better than TRL.

• Like 2

So I'll be posting the full statistics later today.

I will say that the films that tied Gods and Monsters with 17 points were Armaggedon and The Celebration, so they were the ones that just barely missed the list. Velvet Goldmine (dir. Todd Haynes) and Wild Things both got particularly close, which was a surprise to me in both cases.

• Like 1