WrathOfHan

Box Office Theory's Top 50 Horror Movies (2018): THE REVEAL | The countdown is complete! Full list in the first post

On 11/4/2018 at 6:19 PM, WrathOfHan said:

12. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (72 points)

MV5BZDI3OWE0ZWMtNGJjOS00N2E4LWFiOTAtZjQ4

Director: Tobe Hooper

Screenwriters: Kim Henkel and Tobe Hooper

Starring: Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger, Paul A. Partain, William Vail, Teri McMinn, Edwin Neal, Jim Siedow, Gunnar Hansen, and John Dugan

Synopsis: Two siblings and three of their friends en route to visit their grandfather's grave in Texas end up falling victim to a family of cannibalistic

psychopaths.

Box Office: 30.9M

88% on Rotten Tomatoes, 75 on Metacritic

Submissions Received: 10

Average Position: 14th

Number One Placements: 2

Top Five Placements: 3

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre might be the most disturbing movie ever made. Tobe Hooper’s movie was made for an extremely low budget that adjusts to barely 400k today. The result is an incredibly gritty, realistic film with horrific murders and uncomfortable scenes. Shockingly, the film was originally aiming for a PG rating, but the first cut of the film received an X/NC-17 from the MPAA. Although it was able to be cut down into an R, it did not have such luck in many other countries where it faced bans. Even if the film was released today, fitting this into an R rating would be a bit challenging. THAT’S how disturbing this film is. The idea of stumbling upon a family of cannibals in the middle of the country is scary on its own, but Hooper takes it to the next level. This is a staple of the horror genre for a reason, and it is one of my favorite films.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre almost wholly consisted of top twenty placements. Half of the submissions were in top tens, and the rest were between 16-22 save for one vote all the way at the bottom. If not for that vote, this could have had an average position in the mid-singles thanks to two number one votes.

source.gif

There's 11 horror movies better than Texas?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 7:10 PM, DAR said:

I’ve never been a fan of the Exorcist even though it’s a well made movie.  The subject matter just makes me uneasy 

I have it off my list as well.  I never believed in the film and found it to be wholly silly.  I actually feel bad, as a horror fan, to not like it all that much.

4 minutes ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

I have it off my list as well.  I never believed in the film and found it to be wholly silly.  I actually feel bad, as a horror fan, to not like it all that much.

you should feel bad.  stand there and feel bad!!

😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

you should feel bad.  stand there and feel bad!!

😛

I've given it so many chances at different times in my life.  I just can't get behind it.

• Like 1

@Sheikh....saying it's not cool for me to say that Get Out is nowhere near the horror film that TCM is, is not cool on your part.  TCM is horrifying and it's raw and its visceral and it's a movie that completely messed me up.  Get Out is a great movie.  IMO, it's nowhere near the level that TCM is.  Have you seen the original TCM?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

@Sheikh....saying it's not cool for me to say that Get Out is nowhere near the horror film that TCM is, is not cool on your part.  TCM is horrifying and it's raw and its visceral and it's a movie that completely messed me up.  Get Out is a great movie.  IMO, it's nowhere near the level that TCM is.  Have you seen the original TCM?

I have. I was bored throughout the movie, lol. I didn't care for it much, it wasn't on my list. I like movies with character development, and TCM, I just didn't care for any of the characters. I know different people like different things from Horror movies, but for me I was just bored.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

If I'm not mistaken, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and the Shining have yet to make an appearance.

I was just wondering what’s left to come. Yeh I’m sure those three will appear.

It’ll be interesting to see the others. Has Paranormal Activity 1 made an appearance yet? 

Hopefully the Babadook doesn’t make a showing in the top 10, that would be dire. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

If I'm not mistaken, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and the Shining have yet to make an appearance.

I think those 3 make the top 5, with Psycho and Jaws. Not sure about the rest.

1 hour ago, Christmas baumer said:

There's 11 horror movies better than Texas?

giphy.gif

Yeah, TCM was actually a bit closer to the top early on. Get Out didn’t even hit the top 100 until like 12 lists were sent in lmao. Doing this countdown has made me realize how not-disturbing GO is. It’s still a great movie, but it’s probably the least scariest/disturbing in the countdown. 

• Like 2

I guess my definition of horror is much different than some of the members here.  Get Out isn't really scary.  It's a horrific subject matter but for me horror should be scary in ways more than GO is.

32 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I was just wondering what’s left to come. Yeh I’m sure those three will appear.

It’ll be interesting to see the others. Has Paranormal Activity 1 made an appearance yet? 

Hopefully the Babadook doesn’t make a showing in the top 10, that would be dire. 

Babadook is coming...it'll be top ten because this site has a strange fetish for some bad horror movies, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Babadook is coming...it'll be top ten because this site has a strange fetish for some bad horror movies, imo.

10 minutes ago, Sheikh said:

Babadook has gone, it was 46 on the list.

This :hahaha:It was on the verge of missing. You almost lucked out, Baumer!

Anyways I’ll be doing some shopping this morning but will get back to the countdown around lunchtime

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:57 PM, WrathOfHan said:

15. Evil Dead II (1987) (66 points)

Can somebody please explain to me why only 9 people voted for Evil Dead 2?

Do the other people not like it? (In which case, they're lame.)

Or have they not seen it? (In which case, they're lame.)

5 minutes ago, kitik said:

The second :redcapes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kitik said:

I didn’t even include it. 

It just wasnt a big deal here in the UK so it wasn’t one of those horror films being talked about or shown around when I was younger. Then I seen the remake first so it was all a bit wasted for me unfortunately.