Eric is Anxious

The Color Purple | December 25, 2023 | Warner Bros. | Based on the Broadway musical

Forgot to post my thoughts after I saw it on Thursday. I'm a bit more muted than the other reactions, it's good but I'm far from loving it. I found most of the musical sequences to be a letdown, visually I rarely felt pulled in and excited by them (doesn't help that Spielberg's West Side Story was on my mind since he has a producer credit on this lol). There are some more fantastical visual choices for certain moments but they are so few and far between I started to wonder why they're even there. It also does feel like a bit of a clash having all this artificial happy singing and dancing mixed between the really dark domestic abuse drama, I didn't feel the impact of The Color Purple as a story in this one nearly as much as the book or the original adaptation.

That said though, damn can these people sing and a lot of them give great performances as well (especially Taraji and Danielle who are better served by the script and directing than Fantasia). The color palette is often gorgeous to look at and it's entertaining to watch. I never got the feeling that I was seeing a modern classic in the movie musical genre, or even a great film, but it's good and I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

I’m so happy for Fantasia. Remember voting for her on Idol way back. She has always had such an infectious personality and huge talent. Would be great to see her become the awards front runner, I haven’t seen either yet but Stone already swept for LLL not that long ago. 

But yeah Globes snub outside acting isn’t great for BP chances. Then again, I’ve always felt this would be an acting accolades movie more than the movie itself. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Sorry I'm a bit out of the loop on this one. What is this movie again and why it seems so popular?

The Color Purple is a Pulitzer Prize winning book by Alice Walker

Steven Spielberg directed a film in 1985 for the book which was Whoopi Goldberg’s first film role and was Oprah’s first film role before she had a successful talk show. The film got 11 Oscars nominations and was the 4th highest grossing movie of 1985.

Oprah created a broadway musical version of the book which grossed a lot at the box office and won Cynthia Eviro from the new Wicked movie her first Tony Award for best actress.

This new film is the film adaptation of the broadway musical and the movie is produced by Steven Spielberg who directed the first film and by Oprah who starred in the first film. It has an all star cast. The film has a huge following in the African American community in the United States.

• Like 2
  • Heart 4
  • Thanks 1