Eric Duncan

The Color Purple | December 25, 2023 | Warner Bros. | Based on the Broadway musical

https://deadline.com/2018/11/oprah-winfrey-steven-spielberg-the-color-purple-movie-musical-warner-bros-1202495093/

Deadline has confirmed that Warner Bros. is developing The Color Purple for the big screen again, but based off the Tony-winning Broadway musical.

Steven Spielberg, who directed and produced the 11-nominated Oscar 1985 film is returning as a producer with Quincy Jones, but will not direct.

Oprah Winfrey, who made her feature debut in the original movie and earned a best supporting actress Oscar nom, is also producing the movie with Scott Sanders. Winfrey, Jones and Sanders produced the Broadway musical. The project is currently looking for a writer.

....I guess it's a different enough approach to warrant a remake? I mean, in my opinion, a remake is wholly unnecessary if the point of its conception is to just do the same movie over again with not more than a few differences and that fails to improve on the original in any major way possible (or doesn't even try to). If you can make a different, arguably superior narrative out of the same plot (or even if it's the same movie but done better in every way), then it dodges being pointless and lives up to what remakes should be all about. This being a musical will likely give it a wholly different vibe from the original, which was a bit of a somber/sentimental drama. If it doesn't work... whatever, at least they did a remake that wasn't a stupid idea for once. So, while I'm sure everyone will complain about this being another unwanted remake, let's stop for a moment and think that maybe this one doesn't sound so dumb after all when you consider that it will actually stray away from the original in the way that it tells its story. Both will stand on their own, even if it turns out that the measurement of quality between the two is lopsided. And The Color Purple wasn't even a perfect movie anyway, so there's room for improvement... it's not like this is The Godfather.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

....I guess it's a different enough approach to warrant a remake? I mean, in my opinion, a remake is wholly unnecessary if the point of its conception is to just do the same movie over again with not more than a few differences and that fails to improve on the original in any major way possible (or doesn't even try to). If you can make a different, arguably superior narrative out of the same plot (or even if it's the same movie but done better in every way), then it dodges being pointless and lives up to what remakes should be all about. This being a musical will likely give it a wholly different vibe from the original, which was a bit of a somber/sentimental drama. If it doesn't work... whatever, at least they did a remake that wasn't a stupid idea for once. So, while I'm sure everyone will complain about this being another unwanted remake, let's stop for a moment and think that maybe this one doesn't sound so dumb after all when you consider that it will actually stray away from the original in the way that it tells its story. Both will stand on their own, even if it turns out that the measurement of quality between the two is lopsided. And The Color Purple wasn't even a perfect movie anyway, so there's room for improvement... it's not like this is The Godfather.

What part of "Film of the Tony winning Musical" did you not read?

4 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

The umpteenth unwanted remake. With a few exceptions most of these remakes are inferior to their originals.

What part of " it's a flim of the Broadway Musical" did you not  understand/

Or did you not bother to actually read the artical but just saw the headline and decided to comment?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

What part of "Film of the Tony winning Musical" did you not read?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I think it being based on the Tony winining Musical makes this interesting, otherwise count me in the "unwanted remake" crowd for this film.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

What part of " it's a flim of the Broadway Musical" did you not  understand/

Or did you not bother to actually read the artical but just saw the headline and decided to comment?

C'mon, man. You've legit just made the same (very condescending) post three times. Use the multiquote button or just make the post once. 

21 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Let's hope it's better than the film version of the (record breaking) Tony award winning The Producers.

The Producers could have been great but Susan Stroman just did the same things she did for the stage musical and it fell flat. 

• Like 1